Let's Build the 27th Panzer Division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Commissar D, the Evil

Let's Build the 27th Panzer Division

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Folks,

I think this Board should try to tackle one of the most enduring mysteries of the Panzerwafffe: The short but exciting life of the 27th Panzer Division. Some reference books don't even list it as a Panzer Division.

So, any and all contributions are welcomed, no matter how small or insignificant they might seem. I will contribute what I can and I hope that others will contribute what they have.

Very Best Regards,
~D the EviL (Inventor, by the way, on AHF of the "Let's Build a Unit" concept.)
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Re: Let's Build the 27th Panzer Division

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

damn good idea :D

A start with some info

Wish I could offer more, but I am still in Austria, far away from my material...

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Hello David,

The attached Stellenbesetzung is from: Die 22 Panzer-Division, 25 Panzer-Division, 27 Panzer Division und die 233 Reserve-Panzer-Division, by Rolf Stoves. There is about 60 pages on the 27 Pz.Div. operations. I'll post a few at a time if someone will translate as I go.

Jerry

Well...... I'm trying to up-load the .jpg image but the forum keeps refusing it because it is supposedly too large even tho I've reduced it and even cut it into two parts & photoshop tells me it is only 164k! Don't think I've ever tried to upload here, is there a trick to it?
When you're in command..... command!
Commissar D, the Evil

Man Jerry, are you asking me a computer technical question? I was almost sent to the Gulag for pressing the wrong button at Chernobyl....

Best,
~D, the EviL (Say, ask Tom Houlihan, he's good at that sort of thing.)
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

So that Chernobyl thing was you huh. Way to go!

OK, Tom pointed me toward a solution so here goes again...

Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Ah man....... it's too small to read!

Alright lets try that again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, that's better but not great. What do you think is it readable?

Jerry
Commissar D, the Evil

Thanks Jerry! Remember, the Commissar is convinced that, when it comes to retreived WWII documents, there are only two types: barely readable and unreadable. Happiy this observation is a product of the Commisar's post-radiated brain and what you posted is excellent.

Anyway, "Gruppe Michalak" appears to e the direct forbearer of the 27th Panzer. The onl things I have even approaching the status of information on the 27th is that the 27th was formed in the Voronezh area on September 1, 1942 as "Kampfgruppe Michalik" and was officially activated as the 27th Panzer Division on October 1, 1942. It also says that Oberst Helmut Michalik commanded from September 1st through December 4th, 1942. It was part of VII Armee Korps, then 3. Armee.

It's fairly clear that most of its personell and units came from 22nd. Panzer Division. As an interesting side-note, 25 new Czech 38T's were issued to it on August 20, 1942.

Best,
David
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello !

Here are some contributions, collected from the Stoves work, cited by Jerry [= Stoves 1],
from Veit Scherzer, Dt.Truppen im 2. WK., vol. 6, from Stoves, Die gepanzerten und motorisierten
deutschen Grossverbände 1935-1945 [= Stoves 2] and from several Kriegsgliederungen 1942/43.

1.) In May, 1942, the newly formed 22. Pz.Div. was split up : Most of its units were
transferred to the 1. Pz.Armee to the area of Slawjansk (SE of Charkow).

On the Krim (under XXX.A.K.) remained the KGr. Rodt (Kdr. Schtz.Brig. 22), consisting
of Stab/22. Schtz.Brig., Schtz.Rgt. 140, Parts of Schtz.Rgt. 129, I./Pz.Art.Rgt. 140,
and III./Pz.Rgt. 204 and some supply units. (The III./204 had arrived there in late April, and had
to complete its training there, as it was unexperienced with its new Pz III (5 cm) and Pz IV (lg) .

The Panzer-Abt. and Pz.Art.Abt. took part in the siege of Sewastopol.
Most of these units, left behind on the Krim by 22. Pz.Div., were sent to Slawjansk and then to
Kastornoje in early July to form the Panzerkampfgruppe Michalik there, the core of the later 27. Pz.Div.
However, parts of Stab 22. Schütz.Brig. (with its Kdr. Oberst Rodt), the II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 140
and parts of the supply units (under DiNaFü 140) rejoined the 22.Pz.Div.

(To make the puzzle even more exciting, II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 140 together with the 9. (s.IG.)Kp.
and 10.Fla-Kp. and some supply units returned in September 1942 to its Rgt.).

---------------------------------------------

2.) In July 1942 Pz.Kampfgruppe Michalik (other designations : verst. Pz.Gren.Rgt. 140,
Kampfgruppe Michalik) was led by the former Kdr. Schtz.Rgt. 140, Oberst Helmut Michalik.

It had the following Gliederung (scan 1):
[all Schützen-Rgt. had been redesignated as Pz.Gren.Rgt. in July, 1942]

- Kampfgruppenstab = Stab Pz.Gren.Rgt. 140
(formed from parts Stab Schützen-Brigade 22 and Rgt.Stb. 140) with
--- Stabs-Kp.
--- I. Btl. with Stab (Hptm. Friedrich) and
---- 1. Kp. (SPW)
---- 2.-3. Kp.
---- 4. schw.Kp.

-- III./Pz.Rgt. 204 (Hptm. Merx)
--- 7.-8. le. Kp.
--- 9. m. Kp.
--- le. Zug Pz.Werkstatt-Kp. 204

-- Stab I./Pz.Art.Rgt. 140 (Hptm. Werner Siebert)
--- Stabs-Bttr.
--- 1.-3. Bttr. le.FH (10,5cm) (mot.Z.)

- Supply units :
-- kl. Kw.Kol. (30t) 3/140
-- 1/3 Kranken-Kw.-Zug 3/140 (= 5 vehicles)

With this Gliederung, Pz.Kpfgr. Michalik took part in the heavy fighting near Woronesh in August
and September, where it was attached to 323.Inf.Div. (VII. AK.).
At the end of September, the units were withdrawn from the frontline and sent to an area near Kurbatowo,
30 km west of Woronesh for the formation of the 27. Panzer-Division.

-----------------------------------------------------

3.) Although the first order to form a 27. Panzer-Division was given on 1st September, 1942, the formation
of the 27. Panzer-Division started formally on Oct., 1st, 1942. At that time (Stoves 1) the division had a
combat-strength ( Gefechtsstärke ) of : 53 Offz./ 9 Off. / 362 NCO / 1848 E.M. and
a provisional str. (Verpflegungsstärke) : 73 Offz./ 23 Off./ 523 NCO / 2636 E.M.
subordinated units combat-strength was: 526 and 96 Soldiers

Those numbers should comprise all men from units of KGr. Michalik mentioned above and additonally
those units, which were assigned to it until the end of September. This was the II.Btl., and the
9. and 10. Kp. of Pz.Gren.Rgt 140, and Pi.-Btl. 260.

An "Arbeitsstab" 27. Pz.Div. was formed from the former Kampfgruppenstab to oversee the process of formation.
The formation of a new Division staff (in Kaiserslautern) by BdE was ordered, which should be ready in
mid October, but would not arrive at the division before the end of November.

To complete its formation, during the following weeks 27. Pz.Div. was assigned several units from the
Heerestruppen, from 22. Pz.Div. and received some reinforcements from the Ersatzheer.
At the end of November 1942, when the division was sent into battle near Rossosch, it had arrived at
the following Gliederung (scan 2, with additions) :

- Stab 27. Pz.Div. (M.d.F.b.: Oberst Michalik, to be replaced on 6.12.42 by Oberst Hans Tröger)
[approximate strength : 14 Officers and officials / 27 NCOs / 94 E.M. (numbers insecure, from Stoves 1)]
- Ia : Hptm. Frhr. v. Lüdinghausen, from 5.12.42 onward Maj.i.G. Ferdinand Edler v.d. Planitz

-- a provisional Div.Kartenstelle (map detachment) in strength 1/1/4 provided by HGr.B
(the Kartenstelle and Feldgendarmerie-Trupp intended for the division, did not arrive before 9.1.1943)

-- Pz.Gren.Rgt. 140 (Kdr.: Oberstlt. Rolf Maempel)
-- Rgt.-Stab with Stabs-Kp. (and Musik-Korps)
--- I. Btl. (Hptm. Friedrich) with
---- 1. Kp. (SPW), 2.-3.Kp., 4. schw.Kp.

--- II. Btl. (Hptm. Lindner) with
---- 5.- 7.Kp., 8. schw.Kp.

--- 9. s.IG-Kp. (4 s.IG (mot))
--- 10. Fla-Kp. (12- 2cm Flak Sfl.)

-- Panzer-Abteilung 127 (by renaming III./Pz.Rgt. 204) (Hptm. Merx)
--- 1.-3. le. Kp.
--- 4. m. Kp.
--- Pz-Werkstatt-Zug (from Pz.Werkstatt-Kp. 204)
[in October a new light Pz.-Kp. arrived from Germany (perhaps only as personal unit ?!) and became
the new 3. Kp and the former 3. m.Kp. became the new 4. m.Kp.]

According to Jentz, Die dt. Panzertruppe, Vol. II, Pz.Abt 127 on 10th of Nov., 1942, had the
following units ready for service :
9 Pz II, 22 Pz. 38(t), 5 Pz III (kz), 10 Pz III (lg), 12 Pz III (75), 2 Pz IV (kz), 5 Pz IV (lg).

(there might have been more, that were in repair, but all those not repaired until end of Nov. had
to be left behind, [Stoves 2])

Pz.Abt. 127 was reinforced in late December[Stoves 2]/ early January[Scherzer] by the incorporation
of 3./Pz.Rgt 35, which however retained its designation.

-- Pz.Art.Rgt. 127 (formed from AR-Stab z.b.V. 677 (Heeres-Truppe)) (Oberstlt. Herbert Vahlbruch)
-- Stab with Nachr.Zug

--- Stab I./Pz.Art.Rgt. 127 (by renaming I./Pz.AR 140)
---- Stabs-Bttr.
---- 1.-3. Bttr. le.FH (10,5cm) (mot.Z.)

--- Stab II./Pz.Art.Rgt. 127 (formed from II./AR 51(mot) (Heeres-Truppe))
---- Stabs-Bttr.
---- 4. (10 cm Kan.) Bttr., 5.-6. Bttr. s.FH (15cm) (mot.Z.)

-- Pz.Jg.Abt. 127 (formed from Pz.Jg.Abt. 560 (Heeres-Truppe)) (see scan 3)
(Kdr.: 01.10.42 : Hptm Gschaider; since 30.10.42 Oberstlt. Kurt Lachnitt)
-- Stab
---- 1. Kp. (7,5cm Pak) (Sfl.)
---- 2. Kp. (7,5cm Pak) (mot.Z.)
---- 3. Pz.Gren.Kp. (SPW) [arrived in early December]

(As a side note : Pz.Jg.Abt. 127 received a shortlived redesignation as Schnelle Abt. 127 during November 1942.)

The 3rd company had been a plain Pz.Jg.-Kp., similar to the second, before its personell was sent to Germany
in October, to receive the equipment of a Schtz.Kp.(gp). The 3rd company returned to the division not before
the first days of December. The number and type of SPWs the unit received, is still unclear to me.
(Maybe, it had a similar Gliederung as Pz.Aufkl.-Kp. 127.)

On 12th of December arrived 12 Pak 7,62cm (Sfl.). 4 were attached to the 3. Kp. and the rest to the 2. Kp.

-- Pz.Aufklärungs-Kp. 127 (Kp.Chef : Hptm. Fürbringer)
After formation in Stahnsdorf, it arrived at the Division at the end of December, 1942.
According to Martin Block (thanks to J.-H. for the link, I post it here again, just for convenience) :
Pz.A.Kp. 127,
the unit was equipped according to KStN 1113 (gp.) v. 1.3.1942 and was first attached to Pz.Jg.Abt. 127 as 4th company,
before it was subordinated to Stab 27. Pz.Div. directly, probably in early February 1943.
A visual representation of such a company can be found here :
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn1113gp1mar42.htm

-- Pz.Pi.Btl. 127 (formed from Pi.-Btl. 260 (Heeres-Truppe)) (Oberstlt. Karl Ziegelmayer, from 12.44 Hptm. Fritz Molfenter)
-- Stab
--- 1.-2. Kp.(mot)
--- le.Kolonne (mot)

-- Pz.Nachr.-Abt. 127 (Maj. Walter Persy)
-- Stab Pz.Nachr.Abt. 127 (formed in Germany and merged with Na.-Kp. 127 in Dec.)
--- 1. Fernsprech-Kp.(mot)
--- 2. Funk-Kp. (mot)
--- le. Nachrichten-Kolonne (mot)

At the end of November, the division had only a Pz.Nachr.-Kp. 127 (Chef Olt. Böhme), which was formed from
an Armee-Nachr. Kp. by AOK 2. A full Pz.Nachr.Abt. was formed in Germany and arrived at the division in
mid December, 1942, when both units were merged together.

The supply services :
Shortly before beeing committed to battle, the newly arrived Ib (Hptm. Marx) reminded AOK 2, that the division was
still lacking a DVA (Divisions-Verpflegungs-Amt), which had the task to organize and distribute the supply of food
to the several units of the divison. Within a few days, the division was assigned a DVA formerly with an
Oberbaustab under AOK 2.

A Stab DiNaFü (generally redesignated to "Kdr. d. Div.Nachschubtruppen" [=KoDiNa] since Nov. 1942) was formed
by the divisions itself [="auf dem Kommandowege"] early December, (probably incorporating personnel detached
from a Nachschubstab z.b.V. by AOK 2).

In addition, the division had received several supply units from 22. Panzer-Division during October.
By December, the rearward units of 27. Pz.Div. were reorganized as follows :

-- Stab Kdr. d. Pz.Div.Nachschubtruppen (Hptm. Stuckenbrock)
--- Kraftfahr-Kp.(90t) 127 (formed from 3., 10., 11. kl.Kw.Kol. 140)
--- gr. Kw.Kol. f. Betriebsstoff (50 cbm) 127 (redesignated gr. Kw.Kol. f. Betriebsstoff 140)
--- 1.-2. Werkstatt-Kp. (mot) 127 (2. redesignated Werkst.-Kp. 239)
--- Nachschub-Zug 127 (redesignated 1. Zug Nachschub-Kp. 140)

--- Divisions-Verpflegungsamt 127

--- Kranken-Kw. Zug 1/127 (formed by incorporating the rest of Kr.Kw-Zug 3/140, still with 22. Pz.Div. before)

--- Feldpostamt 127

----------------------------------------------

4.) Points for further "investigation" :

a) It would be interesting to have the actual Panzer-strength in early or mid December 1942,
shortly before the heavy fighting began. (Same applies to Pz.Jg. Abt. 127)

b) Are there any data on the strength of 3./Pz.Rgt 35, when it arrived at 27. Pz.Div. ?

c) Stoves 1 mentions some Sfl. within the Pz.Art.Rgt. ?! Scherzer could not find any trace on those.
Does anybody have any info on the existence of Sfl. in Pz.Art.Rgt 127 ?

d) Some of the changes to Pz.Jg.Abt. 127 are probably noted in the handwriting on T78R406 F6376027.
(See scan 2). I can make up only parts of it. Could anybody help or has a better scan ?

----------------------------------------------

As it is not so easy to entangle the lots of informations given by Stoves 1, I am sure I missed or
misunderstood some points. Therefore, I would be happy for any corrections and additions.

I would suggest to clear up those organizational questions first. And then, of course, we would need
to find a volunteer :wink: , ... addicted :D , ... maniac :shock: , ... someone :[] , to describe
the huge number of interesting combat actions of the 27. Pz.Div. and/or its several split off battlegroups,
that took place at so many different places in winter 1942/43, before the division was finally dissolved :(
after its fascinating, but shortlived 5 month of existence 8) .

Best regards,

hero.
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello !

Sorry, I forgot to include the scans :roll: !

Best regards,
hero.
Attachments
KGl. Kgr. Michalik September 1942
KGl. Kgr. Michalik September 1942
Gruppe_Michalik_Scherzer_03.jpg (230.85 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
KGl 27. Pz.Division Early December
KGl 27. Pz.Division Early December
KGl_27_PzD_Nov_42_01b.jpg (243.08 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
Changes to Pz.Jg.Abt. 127
Changes to Pz.Jg.Abt. 127
T78_R406_6376072_PzJg_02a.jpg (248.81 KiB) Viewed 15707 times