Puma Question, K.St.N.1109 (f.G.)

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Commissar D, the Evil

Puma Question, K.St.N.1109 (f.G.)

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

HI,

I understand from Jentz's "Museum Ordnance Special Number 24" That the April 1944 K.St.N. 1109 (f.G.) provided for a Stabs und Stabskompanie Panzer-Aufklarung Abteilung containing 16 234 series vehicles. Originally, what was envisioned was 13 Sd. Kfz. 234/1 and 3 Sd.Kfz. 234/3. But instead, the first two units to recieve a full complement of 234 series vehicles were each issued 16 Sd. Kfz. 234/2's.

My question is about the actual organization of the Stabs und Stabskompanie of 16 vehicles. Did it contain 2 platoons of 6 vehicles? If so, that would be 12 Pumas, with an additional one for the Abteilung Commander and 1 for the Kompanie Commander for a total of 14. So, what happened to the other 2 Pumas? Or, were the Kompanies of 4 vehicles apiece, plus 1 for the Abteilung Commander and 1 for the Kompanie Commander, which would again--with 3 platoons--add up to 14? This also leaves 2 missing vehicles, so obviously I'm missing something here about the allocation of vehicles.

I don't have the April 1944 K.St.N. 1109 (f.G.), so I am guessing about the actual organization and allocation of the vehicles and missing out on something! Any help would be vastly appreciated!!!

Best Regards,
David
David C. Clarke

Private message
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
richard hedrick
Supporter

Re: Puma Question, K.St.N.1109 (f.G.)

Post by richard hedrick »

Hey David,

I don’t have an April 1944 KStN either but the 01.11.1944 one also has 16 vehicles in the Ausf. B version of the KStN.

In this version there is one vehicle in the Stab, one vehicle for the Stabskompanie Gruppe Führer, 8 in the 2.Schwere Panzerspäh Zug and 6 in the 3.Schwere Panzerspäh Zug. The vehicles are grouped in pairs with 2. having 4 pairs and the 3. having 3.

http://downloads.sturmpanzer.net/KStN/K ... 1.1944.pdf

Hope that helps.
Richard
Commissar D, the Evil

HI Richard, that helps very much! The odd number of vehicles in the 3rd Platoon accounts for the number 16, which really puzzled me, as the Abteilung Commander and Kompanie Commander would seen to have to have their own vehicles.

Best Regards,
David
Tanker Mike
Supporter

Post by Tanker Mike »

"It is well war is so terrible, we should grow too fond of it."
-Gen. Robert E. Lee
Commissar D, the Evil

Thanks Tanker Mike--it seems to confirm exactly what Richard wrote. This really helps and it is a point that I really can't afford to be wrong on, as I need to know for a writing project.
Best,
David
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello David

Long time no see.

The spring 44 KstN distributed the 16 x 234 type cars like this:

Stabskompanie
Gruppe Führer: 1x 234/1
1. Nachrichtenzug: -
2. Pz.Spähzug: 6 x 234/1
3. Pz.Spähzug: 6 x 234/1
4. s. Pz.Spähzug: 3 x 234/3

AA 20 and SS AA 1 received 16 x 234/2 because there was no more left, see my exhaustive and exhausting study elsewhere on this site. They were allowed to have 25. This is the reason why no official KstN for 16 x 234/2 exists. The units organzied them to their own discretion. I suppose they would just have formed 8 troops.

Please note that the November KstN mentioned and linked above actually only allowed for 15, not 16 type 234 cars. 1 x 234/1 Gruppe Führer and then 7 Troops in two Platoons, with each Troop a 234/1 and a 234/3. Afaik pure paperwork fantasy. I still have to find a unit where this was actually carried out.

HTH
Cheers
Hans
Commissar D, the Evil

Thank you very, very much Hans! :D :D :D :D

You've explained it so well that even I can understand it. :D I would have put this question on the 234 thread we worked on some time ago, but I didn't feel it would attract as much attention there. You did wonderfully on that thread and I think the only thing we did miss were the varying K.St.N.'s for armored cars. When I get the time, I'll try, if possible, to add this to the Thread.

Thanks Again!!! :up: :up: :up:

Be Well and Very Best Regards,
David