Führer-Begleit-Brigade in the Ardennes offensive

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Mansal D

Führer-Begleit-Brigade in the Ardennes offensive

Post by Mansal D »

Hello all,

I am researching the the role of the Führer-Begleit-Brigade (FBB) during the Ardenness offensive and I wanted to discuss a few things with any other experts / interested parties.

From the most readily available account, Otto Remer's (commander of the brigade at the time), the FBB began their attack on December 18th. He says:
The Fuehrer-Begleit-Brigade was assembled in the area around Daun during 17 Dec 44
This conflicts with my research because the offensive started in the sector on 16 Dec 44 and Daun is at least 48 kilometers from the village of Roth (which was attacked on 16 Dec 44).

Because the FBB was designated as a reserve unit I could understand how they would not be part of the main assault on 16 Dec 44, BUT the American 14th Cavalry Group reported this:
The first report of the tanks was at ROTH where three tanks were seen. These tanks proceeded to the edge of town and proceeded to blast away at almost point-blank range.
As they say, Roth was attacked by tanks, but the only German unit working with the FBB in that area was the 18.Volksgrenadier-Division. In the 18.VGD there were only Grenadier and Artillerie regiments, so tanks must have come from the FBB on 16 Dec 44??

I am a bit confused considering Remer first reports action with his FBB on 19 Dec 44 near St. Vith, when it would seem (to me at least) that leading elements of his brigade already took part in the initial offensive. Is there something I am missing? Perhaps 18.VGD had a tank unit assigned to it??

Thank you for your help in advance!
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Re: Führer-Begleit-Brigade in the Ardennes offensive

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Did 18th not have some SP guns in its anti-tank battalion which might have been misidentified ?
Alan
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

18.VGD had 9 JgdPz.38(t) on 16th December :wink:

Jan-Hendrik
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Jan-Hendrik, that answers that question!! Out of curiosity what is your source?
castro323
Supporter

Post by castro323 »

Mansal D wrote:Jan-Hendrik, that answers that question!! Out of curiosity what is your source?
Hi Mansal,

To answer your question check out this webpage.
http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic ... n&start=15
Scroll down to Timm 's post (3d post) on Ardennenoffensive a.d. Sicht der Volks-Grenadier Division which provides info. 18 VGD and other VGDs panzer strength. The info. that Timm posted states that it is based from BundeArchiv (Federal Archives).

Hope that helps,
Apollo
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hey Guys
Great Link Apollo, followed it and noticed a fairly long thread on the 560 VG, which happens to be my pet project. Don't suppose anyone can offer an English version, my German just isn't that good!