Looking for information on a "malgre-nous'

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

John Kilmartin
Contributor

Re: Looking for information on a "malgre-nous'

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi Leger,
Regarding your post about it not being really winter in October/November, I think the possibility that he was at a higher elevation and living out of doors might have just as much to do with having frostbite as the actual calendar date.
(I remember having mild hyperthermia in October when I was 14 and delivered newspapers for a sick schoolmate and I wasn't out for that long and that would be in the early evening)
Cheers,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
leger

Post by leger »

Yes you're right.
But in fact I was wrong with november or october. If you look at the report from the wast i posted, he had his feet frozen in december 1943 in Ukraine (282 I Div. Grenadier regiment 848).

Cheers
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Leger:
Well, it makes more sense than you think!! He starts in 5.Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 1/482. He is wounded, and after recovering somewhat from his wounds, he is assigned to Genesendenkompanie Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 111, which consisted of recently released men from the hospital, not yet fit for frontline duty. When he regains enough fitness for frontline duty he is reassigned to 5. Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 1. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
leger

Post by leger »

Yes you're right but my point was that i'm surprised by the fact he have had 3 different Erkennungsmarken as i thought it was unique for each soldier not linked to the assignments.
Regards.
leger

Post by leger »

Hello again

It's seems obvious now that my uncle was in Ukraine In December 1943 part of the Gr Rgt 848.
But he was in the Marsh Bataillon 282/2 up to november 1943. I couldn't find out where was this Bataillon ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Marsch Btl's were usually temporary in nature and were formed for transporting men to their units so chances are that there is little, if any, information on that particular one.
leger

Post by leger »

Ok
Anyway he didn't stay for long in that unit. Only few months....
leger

Post by leger »

I found out that his name is mentioned in the graveyard memorial book of Iasi.

Unfortunately i don't think there is his grave.