What german Parachute divisions fought in Normandy

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

stevenz

What german Parachute divisions fought in Normandy

Post by stevenz »

Could someone confirm what german Para divisions fought in Normandy.

As far as i know the 2nd Division was there and i saw a documentry which stated the 3rd division was there and i read that elements of the 1st Division was also sent over.

Could someone confirm this.
John Hilly
Supporter

Re: What german Parachute divisions fought in Normandy

Post by John Hilly »

On 6th of June there were only 6. Parachute Regiment, and 91. Airbourne division, which was reformed as normal Infantry Division.
Greets
Johnny B. Goode :[]
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“
JeffF

Post by JeffF »

Only the 3rd, 5th and 6th Parachute Divisions along with the 6th Parachute Regiment fought in the Normandy campaign. The 2nd Parachute Division (to which the 6th Parachute Regiment originally belonged to) never fought in the campaign. Instead it was sent to the port of Brest in Brittany where it fought a tenacious defensive battle eventually surrendering to US forces. The 1st Parachute Division was in Italy having just withdrawn from its epic defense of Cassino, it sent no elements to Normandy and was in no shape to do so after the losses it suffered in Italy. The 91st Airlanding Division was a German Army division and not a parachute unit (it was trained and equipped to be air transportable).

I recommend this web-site for German Order of Battle info for Normandy

http://web.telia.com/~u18313395/normand ... gerob.html

Note that although 2nd Parachute (2nd Fallshirmjager Division) is listed the narrative states that it did not fight there.
stevenz

Post by stevenz »

Thanks for the responce to my question.