Unit great-uncle killed at Gaissin Ukraine July 1941

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

mattkeegan

Unit great-uncle killed at Gaissin Ukraine July 1941

Post by mattkeegan »

Hi,

I'm trying to find out which unit my great-uncle, Werner Vogt, served with from April to July 1941. He was from Stuttgart and was killed on 29 July 1941. His last know whereabouts was the town of Gaissin (Haisyn, Ukraine) in the Ukraine. I have is a field post number – 111 72C – and that he became a junior platoon commander (Leutnant) soon before Barbarossa began. He had marched through Reichshof (Rzeszow) and then to Ternopil and eastwards to Vinnytsia. His last recorded words in a short diary are on the 26 July 1941 at Gaissin trying to take a hill 800m east of the town. Among the equipment his platoon had were a Pak, assault gun and heavy machine gun. He talked of 421 arriving and which attacked to relieve them. A senior Lt Linddorfer was killed along with Lt Ziegler and snr Lt Kuchner. My mother thought he could have been in a Luftwaffe Feld division unit but I have recently found a Truppenteil reference number for him: 6./I.R.420 and an Erkennungsmarke: -651-2./I.E.Btl.460. The German war graves organisation have sent me the official details of his recorded death but it is limited.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks,

Matthew Keegan
Jerry
Associate

Re: Unit great-uncle killed at Gaissin Ukraine July 1941

Post by Jerry »

Matt,

IR 420 & IR 421 were both part of the 125 Inf.Div. which was in the Ukraine at that time.

Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

And of course you've seen this: (scroll to nearly the bottom of the page)

http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=96

I don't know if there is a unit history on this Division.

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Commissar D, the Evil

Ah, there is a unit history, though probably long out of print:

Helmut Breymayer - Das Wiesel: "Geschichte der 125. Infanterie Division 1940 bis 1944".

See:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=2358

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Commissar D, the Evil

Sorry for the multiple posts but I just searched Abe Books U.S.A. , Abe Books DE. and Bookfinders.com with no results for the unit history. As I suspected, it is probably long out of print.

At least Amazon.de gives some information on the book, including the ISBN. I'm surprised it runs to 359 pages:

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Wiesel-Geschic ... =1-1-fkmr1

I also note, as a general rule, that WWII German Divisional Histories are usually much better detailed for the beginning of The Great Patriotic War than for the end of it. So there is some hope of finding relevant materiel if you locate this book.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL