78. Sturm-Division, 1.6.1944

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Piet Duits
Associate

78. Sturm-Division, 1.6.1944

Post by Piet Duits »

Hi there,

I have the Kriegsgliederung of the 78. Sturm-Division as of 1.6.1944 in front of me, and wonder if there's a Meldung for this Division from that date as well.
This division had a very remarkable organisation, with besides the usual assets also a Flak-Abteilung 278, a Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 189 (each Batterie with the new Sturmgeschütz-Begleitzüge), a schwere Granatwerfer-Abteilung (mot.) 5 and very strong, mostly motorized Versorgungstruppe.
So, SOLL and FEHL numbers are very welcome!

TIA,

Piet
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
MadDog
Associate

Re: 78. Sturm-Division, 1.6.1944

Post by MadDog »

I wish I could be more help, but I swear I have seen material on the 78th in T78 rolls......somewhere......

Mad Dog
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Gerd Neipold in the Battle for White Russia (so far the definitive work on "Operation Bagration") makes an interesting point about this Division's strength on 20/6/1944. He says that it had a "Trench Strength" (as opposed to overall strength) of 5,712 men to hold a 32 km. frontage, for a density of 178 men per Kilometer. It also possessed 27 assault guns and 45 88mm Sp., 55 heavy guns and 46 other guns.

I think that, like all armies, artillery and assault guns are used to make up for a lack of infantry strength. 178 men per km is thin, and only slightly more than its neighbor, the 25th Pz.Gren. which had a much shorter frontage.

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

David, Tom,

Thanks for your replies :-)
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Here's a question though that has bugged me for years. During "Bagration", everything I've read mentioned 78th Sturm having Sp. 88mm's in support. Now at the time, the only such weapon available was the Nashorn. The number of Sp.'s indicates the presence of a sPz.Jgr. Abt. But which one?????

It's just a curious note in the texts that's never explained and it puzzles me.

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Here's a question though that has bugged me for years. During "Bagration", everything I've read mentioned 78th Sturm having Sp. 88mm's in support. Now at the time, the only such weapon available was the Nashorn. The number of Sp.'s indicates the presence of a sPz.Jgr. Abt. But which one?????It's just a curious note in the texts that's never explained and it puzzles me.Bestens,David
:[] Thanks David !! :[]

Now you've really got my attention, and I will now commence digging through my mounds of minutia to try and find an answer for you !! :[]

Why can't you just stick to the easy questions, :roll: like: "What was the name of the Reichfueher-SS ??"" A hint: It started with the letter "H"!!

Bestens right back at ya !! :D - John
Yuri
Supporter

Post by Yuri »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Gerd Neipold in the Battle for White Russia (so far the definitive work on "Operation Bagration") makes an interesting point about this Division's strength on 20/6/1944. He says that it had a "Trench Strength" (as opposed to overall strength) of 5,712 men to hold a 32 km. frontage, for a density of 178 men per Kilometer. It also possessed 27 assault guns and 45 88mm Sp., 55 heavy guns and 46 other guns.

I think that, like all armies, artillery and assault guns are used to make up for a lack of infantry strength. 178 men per km is thin, and only slightly more than its neighbor, the 25th Pz.Gren. which had a much shorter frontage.

Best,
~D, the EviL
In due time which that about 78 Sturm-Division has informed here
78. Sturm-Division was very big formation with the general number 15,000 of men.
Site front of 32 km, it with the account of lines passing and on bogs which it is a lot of in those places.
Thus, even with the account of bogs there will be 400-450 men per 1 km of front.
If to consider attached units to this formation the density will increase even more.
If to exclude bogs that density on a site 78. Sturm-Division to exceed 1000 men per 1 km.
Then, 178 men per 1 km of front it not a little, this are very good density.