Pz.Jg.Abt.657 and Pz.Jg.Abt.719 in the Netherlands 1944-1945

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

marcel zwarts

Pz.Jg.Abt.657 and Pz.Jg.Abt.719 in the Netherlands 1944-1945

Post by marcel zwarts »

:?: There are photos of Pz.Kpfw. R35 taken in 1945 at locations in Arnhem, Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Also some photos are found which shows some 4,7cm Pak auf Renault R35 SP’s. These where knocked out around the corridor and near the Belgium border. The question is could these panzers belong to the Pz.Jg.Kp.612 or Pz.Kp.224. These two units served under the command of the Pz.Jg.Abt.657 till this Abteilung moved to France in may 1944. Pz.Kp.224 stayed in Holland and played a small part in the battle near Oosterbeek but what happened to the armour that was placed in the Pz.Jg.Kp.612 and 613, did it go whit the Pz.Jg.Abt.657 to France or stay they behind in the Netherlands like Pz.Kp.224.
Two knocked out 4,7cm Pak auf Renault R35 SP’s where found in the area where the 346.Inf.Div. and the 59.Inf.Div. operated. Is there a possibility that these units had the possession over these strange tank hunters?

The panzer destroyer unit of the 719.Inf.Div. armed whit 7,5cm Pak 40/1 auf Lorraine (f) was active near the Belgian border. In this area they lost at least two of there ten tank hunters. What info can be found on this unit? There is an unclear photo of a Lorraine upside down in a ditch taken in the area between Arnhem and Nijmegen. Is it possible that this panzer belonged to the Pz.Jg.Abt.719?

Marcel Zwarts
The Netherlands
dave mooney

657 panzerjaeger abt.

Post by dave mooney »

Hi I was most excited to see a mention of the 657th here. My father in law served with them until his capture on Aug 30 1944. He mentioned something about leaving their equipment in Holland and driving towards Paris to pick up their new 88's on a Panther frame?? And were on their way North when D-day began. Might that help? I really don't know as I am hunting up information on the 657th since he passed away 2 years ago. I miss my talks with him about the war because I thoroughly enjoy military history. Might you be able to help.?
Before he passed away I saw his personal copy of his operations map that he was allowed to keep and he showed me the path that the battalion had taken but I made the mistake of not writing all of his information down and unfortunately my mother-in-law is very unwilling to let me see it again because I was the only person he ever showed all of his posessions to.
If you could help me find out the path, battles and divisions that it would have been attached to it would be great appreciated.

Dave
Edwin Koning

Re: Pz.Jg.Abt.657 and Pz.Jg.Abt.719 in the Netherlands 1944-1945

Post by Edwin Koning »

Hi Dave,
Are you still on this forum?
I want ask you something.
Edwin