orgaisation of the LVI. Panzerkorps, June 1 1944

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Piet Duits
Associate

orgaisation of the LVI. Panzerkorps, June 1 1944

Post by Piet Duits »

On June 1 1944, the LVI. Panzerkorps had the following organisation:

Gen.Kdo. LVI. Panzerkorps
--Stab
--- Korps-Kartenstelle 456
--- Panzerkorps-Nachrichten-Abteilung 456
--- Kraftfahr-Kompanie 456
--- Feldgendarmerie-Trupp a (mot.) 456

-- Artillerie-Kommandeur 125
--- leichte Beobachtungs-Abteilung (mot.) 6
--- leichte Beobachtungs-Abteilung (mot.) 17
--- 1./ schwere Heeres-Batterie 620

-- Pionier-Regimentsstab (mot.) 614
--- Pionier-Batallion 50
--- Pionier-Brücken-Batallion 42
--- Bau-Pionier-Batallion 120
--- Bau-Pionier-Batallion 221
--- Bau-Pionier-Batallion 820
--- Feldstrafgefangenen-Abteilung 5 (ohne 1 Kp.)

-- Sicherungs-Batallion Fester

-- 4. Panzer-Division

-- 5. Panzer-Division
--- schw. Panzer-Abteilung 505

-- 26. Infanterie-Division

-- 131. Infanterie-Division
--- II./ Artillerie-Regiment 57 (ohne 5.)
--- Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 1601

-- 253. Infanterie-Division
--- schw. Artillerie-Abteilung 604
--- 5./ Artillerie-Regiment 57
--- schw. Panzerjäger-Abteilung 655
--- Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 237
--- 3. und 4./ Bau-Pionier-Batallion 420
--- 1 Kp./ Feldstrafgefangenen-Abteilung 5

-- 342. Infanterie-Division
(the 3rd Grenadier-Regiment of this division was the Divisionsgruppe 330, and was organised as I. (Gren.) Btl. (Regimentsgruppe) 554, II. (Gren.) Btl. (Regimentsgruppe) 555, 13. (IG) Kp (Regimentsgruppe) 554, 14. (Inf.Panz.Jäg.) Kp. (Regimentsgruppe) 555).

-- Ski-Jäger-Brigade 1
--- Artillerie-Regimentsstab z.b.V. (mot.) 618
---- schw. Artillerie-Abteilung 848
---- 1./ schw. Artillerie-Abteilung 427
---- 3./ schw. Artillerie-Abteilung (mot.) 637

From June 13 onwards, the Panzerkorps was no longer part of the 2. Armee (HGr. Mitte), because it was transfered to the 4. Panzerarmee (HGr. Nordukraine).
As you can see above, it formed a considerable fighting force, even if it did not have large quantities of Panther tanks (the II. Panzer-Abteilungen of the 4. and 5. Panz.Div. were equipped with Panzer IV's)
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Shadow
Patron

Re: orgaisation of the LVI. Panzerkorps, June 1 1944

Post by Shadow »

Piet Duits wrote:On June 1 1944, the LVI. Panzerkorps had the following organisation:
From June 13 onwards, the Panzerkorps was no longer part of the 2. Armee (HGr. Mitte), because it was transfered to the 4. Panzerarmee (HGr. Nordukraine).
At which point I think it took over command of 26 Inf.Div., 131 Inf.Div., 253 Inf.Div., 342 Inf.Div., and the 1 Ski-Jager Div. (which attained full “division” status, I believe, on 02 June 1944).

Thanks for the information above, Piet !! :D

Question ?? Do you have any more information on Sich.Btl. "Fester" ??

I've gone through all my remaining files and can't find any reference to this unit ??

Thanks for any help you can give -

Best regards, as always -

John
Signed: "The Shadow"
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

In my memory this Sich.Btl.Fester was in Fester Platz Kowel...

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Greetings Piet and Jan-Hendrik!! :D

To: PIET:

Is a “Festungs Platz” (Fortress Place) and a “Fester Platz” the same thing??

In my research I have found listings for “Festungs” and “Fester Platz” in the same text and the only difference I seem to find is that “Festung” seems to simply mean a “Fortress” and “Fester Platz” seems to refer to a “Fortified Emplacement”

If they are, indeed, the same thing then could YOUR reference to “Sicherungs-Bataillon Fester” simply refer to a Security Battalion guarding a fortified emplacement? And does anyone know which “fortified emplacement” this could be referring to? J-H has suggested it was Kowel. Any comments?

To: JAN-HENDRIK:

Were not most of the troops stationed in “Fester Platz – Kowel (Kdt: SS-Gruppenfueher Gille)” transferred out of Kowel around the end of April 1944 to form the nucleus of the future 22nd SS-Kav.Div., while the remainder were used to form KGrp. “Gille”, which served with LVI Pz.K (A.O.K. 2) until early May 1944? This would have been PRIOR to Piet’s OoB for LVI Pz.K on 01 June 1944.

Any further clarification on this point would be gratefully appreciated as I have to admit to being totally confused regarding “Sicherungs-Bataillon Fester”!

Thanks, in advance,
Signed: "The Shadow"
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Well, my achievements in getting the complete documentation of AOK 2 in 1944 is at the moment a bit struggling because of the health problems of an associate comrade in this project, so I cannot offer any primary sources on this. :oops:

Therefore I simply do not know what happened with this Sich.Btl. after Kowel, I just connected it from Memory to Kowel :wink:

Indeed SS-Kav.Rgt.17 was used as the "core" to form teh 22.Frw.Kav.Div (mostly referred with the name "Maria Theresia", but I have still not seen any primary source confirming this!).

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Jan-Hendrik,

Thanks for your information !! :up: :up:

Best regards,

John
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

John,

As I am rebuilding some rooms (including my study room), I don't have my sources at hand.
However, I do know that the 2. Armee had 2 "Fester Plätze" on 1.6.1944: Fester Platz Brest (Brest-Litowsk) and Fester Platz Plinsk.
The Gr.Btl. Fester is listed in the category Sicherungstruppen, but I'm not sure if it really wás a Sicherungs-or Landesschützen-Batallion.

I do know it was part of the LVI Panzerkorps at that time, and hope to find out more about the organisation soon.

Piet

PS: I'm not sure about the difference between a Fester Platz and a Festung. However, if I look at the 1.6.1944 organisation of the Fester Platz Brest, the unit who had the command was the Oberfeldkommandantur 399, had a Nachschub-Batallion 670, a Sicherungs-Nachrichten-Abteilung and other rear area support units within its ranks. Both Brest and Plinsk were important rear area support hubs, with a lot of supply and hospital units.
So, what I think is this: a Fester Platz is not held by combat troops, but with support units at hand, a Festung is held by remaining support units at hand, reinforced with retreated combat units, ordered to take a stand (and get killed)
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Piet,

Thanks for the information !! :up:

Best regards,

John :D
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

As you can see above, it formed a considerable fighting force, even if it did not have large quantities of Panther tanks (the II. Panzer-Abteilungen of the 4. and 5. Panz.Div. were equipped with Panzer IV's)
Was it not subordinated to AG Nordukraine already at 30 May?

At least Gackenholz and Niepold claim that, writing that thus AG Mitte lost 6% of its frontline, but 15% of its divisions, 82% of its tanks, 23% of its assault guns, 50% of its Nashorn SP heavy Pak and 23-30% of its GHQ level artillery.
As you can see above, it formed a considerable fighting force, even...
It had its manpower swelled up by using people from the Soviet Union. In May 1944 the corps reported that 4697 men and 1590 women worked in the ZADA labour battalions of its subordinated divisions, and 1566 civilians for the corps.
Besides, 6725 Hiwis altogether served in the corps and its subordinated units.
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Michate,

I got the 13 June date from the files of the OQu / 4. Panz.AOK. It was stated that as of 13.6.1944 the LVI. Panzerkorps with the above mentioned organisation was part of the Panzerarmee.

The IST-strength of the Korps on 1.6.1944 was:
2.441 Offz., 511 Beamte, 17.820 Uffz., 73.690 Mannsch., 8.190 Hiwi and 2.929 Ersatzuffz./ Mannsch.
I don't have the numbers for the ZADA units -yet-, but I doubt they were counted in the totals of the LVI. Panzerkorps.

50% of the Nashorns? Nope, without the LVI., the 2. Armee lost 100% of it's Nashorns. The schw. Panz.Jäg.Abt. 655 was the only unit within the 2. Armee who had those vehicles.

The 2. Armee did not have that many non-divisional antitank units. At Armee-level, they had the Panz.Zerst.Abt. 474, the VIII. AK had the Sturmgesch.Brig. 904, but the XX. and XXIII. AK's did not have any additional antitank units.
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

Piet,

thanks for this most interesting information.

One clarification:
50% of the Nashorns? Nope, without the LVI., the 2. Armee lost 100% of it's Nashorns. The schw. Panz.Jäg.Abt. 655 was the only unit within the 2. Armee who had those vehicles.
I think they were talking about the effect on the whole of AG Mitte. IIRC, 3 PzArmee had a Nashorn batalion as well.
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

I always think 4 and 5 Pz division was in Army Group North Ukraine on June 1 1944, Piet information changed my data base. Thank a lot. :D
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Kelvin,

They were in transit to the HGr. Nordukraine. I have data from the AOK 2/ HGr. Mitte as well as from the Pz.AOK 4/ HGr. NU about the divisions.
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi, Piet, did 7. Panzer division joined LVI. Panzerkorps later ? I remember 1 and 8 Pz division formed one panzerkorps and 16. and 17 Pz division formed another but I don't remember the number. But 7 Pz was separate AG reserve ?
laurence strong
Supporter

Post by laurence strong »

Piet Duits wrote:On June 1 1944, the LVI. Panzerkorps had the.... From June 13 onwards, the Panzerkorps was no longer part of the 2. Armee (HGr. Mitte), because it was transfered to the 4. Panzerarmee (HGr. Nordukraine).
I know that 4th Panzer was in the midst of transitioning it's 2nd Bn into Panther tanks (the 1st Bn becoming the 2nd Bn), however I was under the impresion that all panzer divisions had 1 Bn of Mk V's and 1 of Mk IV's!