German Cemetry Jamnoje

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

vic044

German Cemetry Jamnoje

Post by vic044 »

Hello

Currently i'm looking for more information and pictures about the German Cemetry in the russian town / villega Jamnoje.

I have a name who is buried there but he isn't registered in the official Grabe search site. As you can see there must have been a cemetry but without a doubt i will have been erased after the retreat of the german army in 1943.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards

stijn

Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: German Cemetry Jamnoje

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

There where about 118 graves at this former cemetery, in the village Jamnoje = Yamnaya.

I don't have pictures but have circled and highlighted the village's in red on the map you will find below.

N501 NN 36-5 (7.6Mb .jpg)
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

If you like you can send me the name/data of the soldier and I check my archive to be sure.
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

If one of you sends me the geocoordinates I can check the German aerial photos.

I have done this for about 12 sites already for the Volksbund and have helped them located about 9,000 to 12,000 graves. I match up 1941-1944 aerial photos and German made Stadt Plans with Google Earth. Unfortunetly about 50% of them have been built over such as in Orel, Orscha, but others remain empty lots, parking lots, or parks such as in Belgorod, Smolensk.

May I ask why you are looking for these graves?
M.Abicht
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Abicht wrote:If one of you sends me the geocoordinates I can check the German aerial photos.

I have done this for about 12 sites already for the Volksbund and have helped them located about 9,000 to 12,000 graves. I match up 1941-1944 aerial photos and German made Stadt Plans with Google Earth. Unfortunetly about 50% of them have been built over such as in Orel, Orscha, but others remain empty lots, parking lots, or parks such as in Belgorod, Smolensk.

May I ask why you are looking for these graves?

Code: Select all

61°21'41.51"N 43°53'13.05"E 
vic044

Post by vic044 »

Thank you for the coordinates. I can't seem to find this on a map on the internet.
I calculated the decimals and looked it up in Google map but i find a place that is too much to the north and east.
It's even east of Moscow and that can't be right. :D

Best regards

stijn
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

vic044 wrote:Thank you for the coordinates. I can't seem to find this on a map on the internet.
I calculated the decimals and looked it up in Google map but i find a place that is too much to the north and east.
It's even east of Moscow and that can't be right. :D

Best regards

stijn
You're right Stijn, typed the wrong Yamnaya sorry. I will have a look for the right coordinates!
orv10

Post by orv10 »

vic044 wrote:Hello

Currently i'm looking for more information and pictures about the German Cemetry in the russian town / villega Jamnoje.

I have a name who is buried there but he isn't registered in the official Grabe search site. As you can see there must have been a cemetry but without a doubt i will have been erased after the retreat of the german army in 1943.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards

stijn
Hello!
I guess I know the place you write about.
https://goo.gl/maps/KqECJsXeiz52
Have you an image or any additional information to refine this?