Abwehr Records

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Jacky
Supporter

Abwehr Records

Post by Jacky »

Hi

In The Game of the Foxes by Ladislas Farrago he mentions he found Abwehr records about which nothing had been done. My query is: have the American Archives now translated and filed them. The reason I ask is that they replied to a question I asked with the fact they did not use names and they suggested I went to America and they would help me.

Jacky
Abicht

Re: Abwehr Records

Post by Abicht »

Without knowing the reference on what records they were talking about, I do know a bit about the Abwehr records held in the US. I seem to have come across some of the from time to time at NARA but many of them were held by the CIA after the war and eventually were declassified and turned over the NARA. Your best bet is to go to the NARA website and click on "contact us" at the top and follow the links to asking a question. It may take 2 weeks but they will answer you.

There are also a huge amount of OSS/CIA records that have been declassified on the Abwehr. I copied a large two vol. book on every person the US and UK linked to the Abwehr with details on each person. Thousands and thousands of names which nobody has done anything with either. Follow this link to other Abwehr data I came across:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=22970[url][/url]

Also you will not find any translations of documents held at NARA related to these files, NARA doesnt do that, and the translations done by the CIC counter-intelligence-corps of the US Army in 1945-1949 likely wont be found.

Hope that helps a little.
M.Abicht
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Thank you Abicht. But surely, if all personel connected to the Abwehr are listed under that, it means unless anyone knows what to look under they won't find what they want. Did you go to NARA in person? I am in the UK.

Jacky
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

How much did it cost you please?

Thank you

Jacky