" Combat worth " definition of panzer division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Vasil
Supporter

" Combat worth " definition of panzer division

Post by Vasil »

When I am studying Normandy campaign, and look around Panzer division strength. Panzer division in Normandy , of course was full strength. But some panzer division on the Eastern Front in the same period ( June 1 1944 ), some were classified as combat worth I , e.g 7. and 24. Panzer division.

Panzer division in Normandy was lavishly equipped, Combat worth I was possible. But 7. Panzer division equipment status were not so good, only had following equipment in operational status :

On June 1 1944, 34 x Pz IV, 85 x SPW, 72 x cross country truck, 241 commercial truck, 5812 carbines, 326 light machine guns and 31 heavy machine gun. 24. Panzer division was even worse, only possessed 12 operatonal Pz IV, one StuG and 82 SPW and other armored cars. To conclude, their equipment situation were terrible.

So in equipment column, it fail. Other factor to assess them. eg training ? How to assess their training was good ? several weeks or several months training ?
Or other factor : quality of soldiers : qualification , I. Q or age ?
Or morale ? I think this thing is hard to assess how high was it ?

So, what factor to said these two panzer divisons was combat worth I or any guidelines for assessing combat worth of panzer divisons ?

Someone had ideas ?
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Re: " Combat worth " definition of panzer division

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Yes, there were combat morale ratings (Kampfwert)

I = Unlimited offensive capability

II = Unlimited defensive capability

III = Limited defensive capability

IV = Burnt out

I think that was it and what you were asking.

Roger
Quelimane

Post by Quelimane »

How often were such estimates of combat value updated, by whom, and where were they collated?

Were they returned with the bimonthly strength returns?

Q
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Hi Vasil,

The divisions rated themselves on all reports. I can't remember when it started without looking at 100's of monthly returns to find the earliest. Probably mid 1944.

Roger