Frundsberg division 's SP gun in Normandy

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Vasil
Supporter

Frundsberg division 's SP gun in Normandy

Post by Vasil »

I find some contradictory figures on my several books : Niklas Zetterling " Normandy 1944 " said 10th SS Pz division had eleven Wespe and six Hummel on 01st June 1944 based upon German that day docment but another book " Panzer Brigades" by Kamen Nevenkin monthly report on June 01 1944 said Frundsberg had 36 operational guns including seven SP and one SP repair. So SP figures is eight totally. But another book " Waffen SS Panzer units in Normandy " by J Dugdale had monthly report also on 01st June 1944 said she had 19 ready for action artillery pieces and five in short term repair.
All these three book used German monthly report on that day or related document but had different figures ? confused me. ?????? so exactly how many Wespe and Hummel really possessed by Frundsberg and how many was workable ?
BTW, did both 1SS and 12th SS elite division had complete twelve Wespe and six Hummel workable in Normandy on that day too ?
Piet Duits
Associate

Re: Frundsberg division 's SP gun in Normandy

Post by Piet Duits »

Vasil,

The authorized strength for Frundsberg on 1.6.1944 was:
6 Hummel + 3 Munitionsträger Hummel
12 Wespe, with 4 Munitionsträger Wespe.

The real strength for Frundsberg on 1.6.1944 was:
6 Hummel + 2 Munitionsträger Hummel (-1 Munitionsträger)
11 Wespe, with 4 Munitionsträger Wespe. (-1 Wespe)

I hope this is what you were after,

Piet
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Vasil
Supporter

Post by Vasil »

Hello, how many of them were operational , do you have it ?

Kamen Nevenkin " Fire Brigade " on the gun number is less than your figures and my other books but he quot from German original document but I suppose this German report only counted Hummel and its munition carrier and the number is 8 and just match the report. But the Wespe should be excluded, so still a mystery . :D
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Block »

As Piet already quoted the original document does show
6 Hummel + 2 Mun-Hummel
11 Wespe + 4 Mun-Wespe
on hand with I./SS-Pz.Art.Rgt. 10 on 1.6.1944.

Operational status was

Hummel: 5 + 1 in short term repair
Mun-Hummel: 2
Wespe: 10 + 1 in short term repair
Mun-Wespe: 3 + 1 in short term repair

Basically I do not get the relevance of the 1.6.1944 date. The division was still on the move coming from the Eastern Front and was not engaged in the Normandy Battle until almost 4 weeks later. Operational status was probably somewhat different. Status at the beginning of the counterattack against the Allied Odon Bridgehead would be much more relevant - unfortunately I don't have that either :(

Martin Block
Vasil
Supporter

Post by Vasil »

Thank a lot. Apart from 10th SS, my book " Waffen SS Panzer unit in Normandy " by J Dugdale listed 1st SS had six Wespe and six Hummel on 01st June 1944, It was far from authorized figures and anyone know is it workable as I know this division was much more under-strengtened. " Normandy 1944" by Niklas Zetterling listed 12th SS panzer division had twelve Wespe and six Hummel in total out of 52 artillery pieces, was it all workable ?