Grenadier Regiment 287

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Brian R

Grenadier Regiment 287

Post by Brian R »

I have an EK2 document to a medic in 11 Komp., GR 287 and have two questions.

GR 287 was originally IR 287 of the 96 Infanterie Division. The following info from www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de states...

"1942 wurde die Division auf sechs Bataillone verkleinert (Auflösung der I./283, I./284 und III./287)"

I don't really read German... so does this mean theses units were shaved of 96 ID or was 96 ID limited to these units for a time?

His was awarded his EK on August 23, 1943 in Hannover by Wehrkreis X1 commander; Bruno Bieler. Is the assumption that hes recovering from a (serious) wound in the Hannover area?

Thanks in advance!!

Brian
tigre
Patron

Re: Grenadier Regiment 287

Post by tigre »

Hello Brian :D ; auflösung meants that those battalions were dissolved due to low manpower. It was a common practice in those darks days, so you could find divisions with three regiments of two battalions or two regiments with three battalions. Hope this helps you. Regards. Raúl M 8)
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
Brian R

Post by Brian R »

Thank you Raúl!

If that is the case than the bearer of this EK doc was awarded his EK well after his unit was split from GR 287 (assuming 11 Komp. was part of III Battalion). He could have been laid up for some time (many months) back in Germany before being decorated for his actions and the unit listed was the last unit he served in; although it was the year before.
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello Brian :D ; I do not know this especial case but ...broadly speaking the battalion was not split at all, its manpower went down and the unit was no more (it did not exist any more) so it was just.... erased from the regiment TOE and the remnants were attached to the others battalions ( I assume they were those with better striking force). So perhaps your man stayed there with another unit till he was wounded; is a possibility. Cheers. Raúl M 8) .
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
WorldwarBill

Post by WorldwarBill »

Brettner mentions in passing that in 1945 each regiment had two battalions.