Kurmark

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

AHK
Contributor

Kurmark

Post by AHK »

Does anyone definitely if this was a panzergrenadier or panzer division. In the new "Fire Brigades" it is not listed, but mentioned as a panzergrenadier division.
Thanks,
AHK
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Re: Kurmark

Post by Martin Block »

The formation order by OKH/GenStdH/Org.Abt. designated it as 'Panzergrenadier-Division Kurmark' and that was never changed by any order thereafter - only in post war publications!

Martin Block
Kamen Nevenkin
Contributor

Post by Kamen Nevenkin »

Hi AHK,

I hope that you have found my book useful. I decided not to include Kurmark in 'Fire Brigades' since the Aufstellungsbefehl says that it was to be organized as "Panzer-Grenadier Division 44". As a matter of fact, during the closing months of the war there was very little difference between the PzD and PzGD and Kurmark was far more "panzer" division than many others, but nevertheless, I decided to stick to the definition.

Kamen
AHK
Contributor

Post by AHK »

Thank you, I really enjoy your book. Curious, what would you consider the various named Panzerverband Ausbildungs(Donau,Bohmen,etc.) formed at the end of the war? Brigades or divisions?
Thanks,
AHK
Kamen Nevenkin
Contributor

Post by Kamen Nevenkin »

Well, it's a difficult question, since they were neither of both. Let's say that they were ad-hoc division-like formations of brigade strength.

Kamen
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Gentlemen! In all of the material I've ever run across, Kurmark has been mentioned as a "Panzer Grenadier Division.

There are a very few strength reports in this old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14660&hilit=kurmark

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....