98. Infanterie-Division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Brendan Hunt
Supporter

98. Infanterie-Division

Post by Brendan Hunt »

Gents,

I'm looking for information on the 98ID, specifically PiBtl.198. Is there any information out there? If anything more specific, its time in Crimea and the Kuban Regions, and if any segment of the division served at Stalingrad. Were they evacuated from the Khersonnes Peninsula?

Many Thanks,
-B
Brendan
Brendan Hunt
Supporter

Post by Brendan Hunt »

I'm also looking for information on the 9. Infanterie-Division's activity in Crimea.

-B
Brendan
Brendan Hunt
Supporter

Re: 98. Infanterie-Division

Post by Brendan Hunt »

Nothing? Anything about the unit would be greatly appreciated. I know that there are some German websites dedicated to divisions. Is there one for the 98. ID?
Brendan
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Brendan!

All your questions could probably be answered by the book "Kampf und Ende der Fränkisch-Sudetendeutschen 98. Infanterie-Division" by Martin Gareis. You can find it at the bargain price of €13 at the german http://www.amazon.de ...

http://www.amazon.de/Kampf-Ende-Fr%C3%A ... 493&sr=8-1

Regards,

Krollspell :[]
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Kamen Nevenkin
Contributor

Post by Kamen Nevenkin »

98.ID was one of the divisions involved in war crimes. On 11/12 April 1944 one of its regiments killed 584 civilians, including some 200 children, and wounded another 100 in the town of Stary Krym.

Kamen
Brendan Hunt
Supporter

Post by Brendan Hunt »

Thanks! I just got the book from Dresden a few weeks ago and am in the process of ATEMPTING (LOL) to tranlsate it...

I was just really curious if there are any surviving photos out there besides the ones I currently have.

-Brendan
Brendan