21.Panzerdivision - unit emblems.

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Leving

21.Panzerdivision - unit emblems.

Post by Leving »

I Have read the section about the 21 panzerdivision on the website, however I'm interested to know, where, if at all, the 'unit emblems' are displayed on the uniform.

Three Emblems are given on the page about the 21st, but where were they used, more specifically, where on the uniform.

Thanks
Leving.
T.Leving
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: 21.Panzerdivision - unit emblems.

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Leving wrote:I Have read the section about the 21 panzerdivision on the website, however I'm interested to know, where, if at all, the 'unit emblems' are displayed on the uniform.
The unit emblems were for vehicles, equipment, and sometimes directional signs pointing towards unit establishments. They weren't worn on the uniform.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Leving

Post by Leving »

Oh okay, then how were individual units distinguished from one another, or were they not?
T.Leving
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Do you mean in so far as how where the men in different units distinguished from one another via their uniforms? Well, the quick answer is they weren't really. There are many reasons for this but at the time of WWII tactical and operational realities required that you didn't want the enemy to actively know which unit or units it was fighting for security reasons. Most uniforms were very similiar and certainly weren't different enough between, say, the 21st Panzer Division and the 11th Panzer Division. Uniforms between the different arms of service (Panzer vs infantry, for example) were different, but again they were different for all members of the branch, not for different units themselves.

That being said, soldiers and some units did wear small details that upon close inspection could tell other soldiers more about which unit they were a part of. Some very few select units wore unique emblems generally on their hat, but that was pretty rare and infrequent. Many regiments had special number plates and emblems their members would wear on the should boards of their uniforms, and of course all soldiers wore on their uniform various other details to indicate to others their rank and branch. Hope this helps a little!
Last edited by Jason Pipes on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leving

Post by Leving »

Thanks Jason, it is.

I just assumed, that in similar fasion to the Americans/British, they wore shoulder/arm patches showing their unit.

Thanks guys.
T.Leving
marcb

Post by marcb »

Generaly Heer soldiers couldn't be recognized from their uniform.
Some "named" units (fe Grossdeutschland) did have armbands, and later in the war some units wore small metal insignias on their field caps (fe 116 PD).
The Waffen-SS units were easier to recognize, as they regularly wore armbands with the divisions name on their uniforms.
best regards,

Marc
mightythor99
Enthusiast

one thing that differenciated some heer units...........

Post by mightythor99 »

are the colors of the shoulder boards and collar tabs. different colors represent different KINDS of troops,....like black bordered shoulder boards means pioneer troops, white = infantry, red = artillery, yellow means signal corp, or a different shade meant cavalry, and, some specific units had small emblems, they would wear on their hats,.......skull and cross bones on a cavalry cap, edelweiss between the eagle and cockade for mountain troops, and very rarely you will find photos of guys wearing a pin, looking like an american D.I., or distinctive insignia, i've seen luftwaffe photos with squadron pins, but it is seldom.
or, like the other person said, cuff titles. hope that helps!
:up: :up:
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!