Foret de Nieppe, May 1940

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

luddy

Foret de Nieppe, May 1940

Post by luddy »

Hi all,

I am trying to gather as much information at possible on the battle between the British Expeditionary Force (namely the Queens Own and Royal East regiments) and the SS-VT in and around the Nieppe Forest on 26 / 27 / 28 May 1940. This information will be used as part of a novel I am attempting.

In particular, I am interested in how the SS-VT would have gone about attacking the British positions in the forest, formations, tactics, weapons used, etc.

I have read elsewhere that the Queens Own in particular gave stubborn resistance against this attack, that the SS had trouble breaking through and even that the Nieppe Forest terrain was thickly wooded with tall grass! However, this engagement is proving extremely difficult to uncover any detailed information/accounts on. Several books I own on the Battle of France and the Dunkirk evacuation all mention this particular engagement in vague summary only.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark Edmonds
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Hi Mark,

Otto Weidinger's Das Reich, vol II has 10-12 pages on this action.

Jerry
When you're in command..... command!