148 reserve and 189 reserve divisions

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

MadDog
Associate

148 reserve and 189 reserve divisions

Post by MadDog »

Are there any good histories of either of these 2 divisions, covering the time of August 1944 ?

thanks,

Tom
Jan
Associate

Post by Jan »

MadDog
Associate

189 and 148th

Post by MadDog »

Thanks Jan. I saw those entries before, but there is very little information on those 2 units in general. Anyone know where the regiments of these 2 units were stationed ?

thanks,

Tom
Loïc L.

Post by Loïc L. »

After november 1942, both in former free zone, center and south of France.

the 148 was sent in Toulouse area, in 1944 was in Grasse-Cannes, Côte d'Azur

the 189 sent in Le Puy-en-Velay, divided in 1943 : some troops were transfered in Hautes Pyrénées department, others staying in Auvergne
15 Reserve Grenadier Regt : 163 Clermont-Ferrand, 461 Montluçon
28 Reserve Artillerie : Issoire, Le Puy
in august 1944 the Division, not all, was near Montpellier, Languedoc

Regards
Loïc
MadDog
Associate

thanks !

Post by MadDog »

Thanks Loïc !

Tom
Franxerox

Post by Franxerox »

Hi

about the 148 Reserve Infanterie Division:
http://sudwall.superforum.fr/PARTAGE-DE ... o-t302.htm

FRANXEROX
http://sudwall.superforum.fr
Franxerox

Post by Franxerox »

148 Reserve Infanterie division onte French Reiviera area October 1943 - August 1944
AOK 19
Res-Gren Reg 8 - Nice/ Menton
Res-Gren-Reg 239 - Antibes-Cannes
Res-Art.Reg 8 Antibes-Cannes
2 abteilung with 7 battery on the coast
Auflakrung-Truppen.1048 - Grasse-Nice
Pz.Jäg-Kp 1048
Move to Italy in august-September 1944

FX
Franxerox

Post by Franxerox »

148 Reserve Infanterie division on the French Riviera area October 1943 - August 1944
AOK 19
Res-Gren Reg 8 - Nice/ Menton
Res-Gren-Reg 239 - Antibes-Cannes
Res-Art.Reg 8 Antibes-Cannes
2 abteilung with 7 battery on the coast
Auflakrung-Truppen.1048 - Grasse-Nice
Pz.Jäg-Kp 1048
Move to Italy in august-September 1944

FX
MadDog
Associate

thanks !

Post by MadDog »

Thanks Franxerox !

Tom
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hello Mad Dog,

I have only seen one history of a reserve division. I wrote the follwing brief review of it on Feldgrau:

"La longue marche de la Division 157" by Christian Wyler. Published by Grancher, Paris, October, 2004.

This is a French-language history of 157th Reserve Division throughout the war.

Its author is a Swiss Army colonel. He took 157th Reserve Division as his subject as it was the German formation that operated most closely to the Swiss border. It was raised in Bavaria, served for two years in the French Alps and the last year in the Italian Alps. It was retreating to the Austrian border when it had to surrender in 1945.

The interest of this book is that its subject is not one of the front line Feldheer infantry divisions, of which there are numerous histories, but of an Ersatzheer formation that was heavily engaged in anti-guerrilla operations behind the front lines.

The book charts the operations and organisational development of 157th Reserve Division - a partly mountain formation - throughout the war and includes numerous maps, organisational charts and facsimiles of original documents. It has 12 pages of photos and it gives a reasonable account of the division's opponents as well.

My copy is in French, but it is possible that, as with many Swiss French-language books, it has also been published in German as well.

I would definitely recommend this book as it covers a major, but hitherto relatively obscure, subject well. It certainly filled a gap on my groaning bookshelves.

Cheers,

Sid.
MadDog
Associate

157th

Post by MadDog »

There is a good webpage on the 157th, which I drew most of my information:

http://alain.cerri.free.fr/index9.html

thanks,

Tom
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

sid guttridge wrote:My copy is in French, but it is possible that, as with many Swiss French-language books, it has also been published in German as well. Sid.
Greetings Troops !!

I concur with friend Sid’s hypothesis. However, I have yet to track down a German translation of the aforementioned works and am quite interested to find out if anyone has any information as to whether a German version exists.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

To: MadDog – Thanks for that thread you mentioned above.
Signed: "The Shadow"
MadDog
Associate

157th

Post by MadDog »

The book "L'Armee Allemande Sur La Cote Mediterraneenne" by Alain Chazette has a couple of pages on the 157th.

Tom
Jean-Loup

Re: 148 reserve and 189 reserve divisions

Post by Jean-Loup »

I have just finnished writting a book about the war in the region of Nice, Cannes, Grasse. Though it is by no means a history of Reserve Division 148, it does have a large amount of information, text, first hand accounts, casualty lists, exhumation reports, etc, about Reserve Division 148, much more then what currently exists in any other book or source.
The book is called "Autopsy of a Battle, the liberation of the French Riviera" at Schiffer, in English.
The French edition by Heimdal is called "Opération Dragoon, la Libération de la Cote d'Azur"

Information about the book can be found here: http://autopsyofabattle.blogspot.com/

Even though my book is now finnished, I am always interested to find more info about the 148th!

Here a video of the exhumation of 14 bodies of men of Reserve Division 148 can be seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=343cin_nQHU
MadDog
Associate

Re: 148 reserve and 189 reserve divisions

Post by MadDog »

Thanks for the info. I will start looking for a copy.

thanks,

Tom