276th VolksGrenadier Division - Regt. No. 986 - History

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Martins

276th VolksGrenadier Division - Regt. No. 986 - History

Post by Martins »

I'm researching my father's military history during 1944-45. I know that he fought in the Ardennes Offensive as part of the 986 Grenadier Regiment, 276th Volks Grenadier Division, 7th Army Group He was in Kompanie 5.14.

My father died in 1975 when I was 10 years old and I would like to know more about this unit - deployment, history etc. Can anyone help?

I do have some photographs of his unit, presumably during training in eastern Germany, winter 1944. These pictures have never been published and I hope to post them on this and other appropriate sites.
Last edited by Martins on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poucet

Post by poucet »

hi, so i have found this information about you'r regiment!
Grenadier-Regiment 986

Aufgestellt am 12. Januar 1944 in Südwestfrankreich für die 276. Infanterie-Division. Im August 1944 in der Normandie vernichtet.

Neu aufgestellt am 4. September 1944 in Westpreußen durch die Umbenennung des Grenadier-Regiments 1198 für die 276. Volks-Grenadier-Division.
Regiment whas created on 12/01/1944 in south west france for the 276th VGD, on 08/1944 the regiment whas destroyed in Normandie.

New creation from this Regiment on 4/09/1944 in Westpreußen, with rename from old 1198th Grenadier Regiment to Grenadier-Regiment 986 for 276th VGD.

later i hope that i find more information about you'r regiment!

and i think, you don't know in what month or year, you'r father have joint the 1198th grenadier Regiment?

because so we you'r father whas dies in year 1976, so it don't can be participate in Normandie Area! so you'r father don't whas in South west France.
so you'r father coming from 1198th grenadier regiment!
Kurz

Re: 276th VolksGrenadier Division - Regt. No. 986 - History

Post by Kurz »

Martins wrote:I'm researching my father's military history during 1944-1945. I know that he fought in the Ardennes Offensive as part of the 986 Grenadier Regiment, 276th Volks Grenadier Division, 7th Army Group. He was in Kompanie 5.14. I would like to know more about this unit - deployment, history etc.
The last formation under the umbrella of 7th Army was LVIII Panzerkorps, comprising armored units 2nd Panzer-Division and 116th Panzer-Division and three infantry units 352nd Volks-Grenadier-Division, 276th Volks-Grenadier-Division and 326th Volks-Grenadier-Division.

<The 276th Volks-Grenadier-Division had come into being on 4 September 1944 from the remnants of 276th Infantry-Division, a unit destroyed in the Normandy battle in August 1944. It had six battalions of infantry Grenadier-Regiments 986, 987 and 988, and four of battalions of artillery Artillerie-Regiment 276. Like several other formations in 7th Army, had been created on 4 September 1944 from 32nd Wave units. It was equipped almost entirely from captured French, Russian and Polish weapons of an incredible variety of calibres.> End of quotation from Michael Doubler's CLOSING WITH THE ENEMY, Chapter 10 - Part II. See http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ww ... er10b.aspx
Martins

Post by Martins »

Thanks for this information, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to find definite locations for this unit during the Ardennes Offensive and afterwards, up to the end of February 1945. I believe they operated around the Luxembourg / Germany border. Can you help?
Mark F

Post by Mark F »

Martins,

There was a two volume set of books dealing with the Battle of the Bulge in the Lux/Bel area only. One from the Allied and one from the German perspective. I have the book covering the German side. I will look for this, may take me a few days to find it. It did give a very good account of the activities of this small part of the front and the German units involved. I will see what I can find for you.

Regards

Mark F
Mark F

Post by Mark F »

Martins,

I found my book. It is titled "The Battle of the Bulge in Luxembourg, The Southern Flank December 1944 - January 1945, Volume I: The Germans, by Roland Gaul. Schiffer Military/Aviation History. Atglen, PA. 1995. ISBN: 0-88740-746-3. This book only deals with actions/units that fought in Luxembourg and it did not contain the info I thought it did. It has a very detailed account of the 352nd VG Div but for the 276th VG Div very little, but the account it has does deal primarily with a soldier of the 8th Company of Regiment 986, your fathers regiment.

According to the structural plan the refreshing and regrouping of the 276th VGD took place in West Prussia in the autumn of 1944, in the area of Graudenz on the Vistula. In mid- and late November 1944 the entire division with all its equipment was transferred by rail to the Mosel area. According the Paul Engelhardt, who experienced the combat in the sector of the 276th VGD as an eighteen-year old soldier, the final point of departure shortly before the offensive was probably the village of Mettendorf. In the night before Dec 15 the division was sent off along the road that let to Bollendorf and the Sauer. The regiment crossed the Sauer between Bollendorf and Wallendorf in the morning hours of Dec 16, 1944.

The bridgehead had been formed in the early morning hours of Dec 16, and the grenadiers crossed over to attack. American fighter bombers bombed the makeshift wodden bridge over the Sauer for medium weight vehicles the engineers had tried to build. In the morning hours of Dec 19 the 8th company finally was able to cross the Sauer before Echtendorf on a hastily improved bridge. The 8th company now moved along the road in the direction of Diekirch, and then in the direction of Beaufort which was occupied by rifle companies in the afternoon of December 19. On the morning of the 20th the company moved their infantry guns into position near Medernach. As night fell on the 22nd the unit moved back to before Beaufort. At 2PM on Christmas Eve the unit was attacked by American tanks which was beaten back. On December 25 the unit was withdrawn through Beaufort and headed back towards Biesdorf. They crossed the bridge at Echternach, the same bridge they had used on Dec 19. On the morning of Jan 3, the unit received orders to leave Biesdorf and move back toward the front by way of Obersgegen in Germany. After two days they crossed again into Luxembourg and reached Bockholtz and Siebenaler. The advance continued through Pintsch into the area of Wiltz. On Jan 8 heavy defensive fire struck his company near Alscheid at which time Paul Engelhardt was wounded and evacuated and thus his account ended.

The account also includes things like the food, the weather, shortage of cigarettes, how they celebrated Christmas, things he observed, etc.

I hope this might help you somehow. Good luck in your search!

Regards

Mark F
Martins

Post by Martins »

Hi Mark

This is extremely interesting. I do remember my father making comments about waking (around Christmas) to blue skies and knowing that the offensive was effectively over. Other personal snipptes add to the picture described in the passage you quote. My father was captured by American troops a few days before his 18th birthday in late February 1945. He believed his ability to speak English saved his life. He was then taken as a POW to the USA and finally to England where he met my mother, married and settled in Derbyshire.

I believe my mother still has photographs of his unit in training and your information confirms our belief that this was in West Prussia (there is heavy snow on the ground).

Thanks again for the information - it is bringing our family history alive!

martins
Mark F

Post by Mark F »

Martins,

Glad I could be of help. I was so disapointed when I saw that there were pages and pages of info on the 352nd VGD but only a very few on your fathers division, but it was pure luck that the only info and account was from an individual in your fathers regiment. I will see what else I can come up with, I have several books on the bulge and notes from many others. If I find anything I will let you know.

Again, Glad I could be of help.

Mark
Kurz

Bundesarchiv 276. Infanterie Division

Post by Kurz »

k9mike

Post by k9mike »

Martins,
I know of a book that is coming out by Aberjonas Press about the 276 VGD. I do not have my copy of WWII magazine with me right now, but when I get a chance I will submit it here. The book does not show up on the website yet. It is about VGD units late in the war and covers the 276.
Mike
k9mike

Book name

Post by k9mike »

Martins,
The book I was talking about is called "Victory was beyond Their grasp". From Aberjona Press. ISBN:978-0-9777563-2-2
I am not sure if it is available yet, but I did see the ad in my current issue of WWII Magazine.
Mike
Doug Nash
Author

Victory was Beyond their Grasp

Post by Doug Nash »

Sorry, the book is about the 272nd Volks-Grenadier Division, not the 276th. But it also covers the developmental history and organization of the VGDs, as well as the battle of the Huertgen Forest from Nov 1944 to Feb 1945. It is due out in print by the end of Nov.
Cheers!
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
Lothar

History of the 276th VGD

Post by Lothar »

Hi Martins,

have just seen your request about the 276th VGD. May be I can help you with some infos, because my father was NCO (Uffz) in the 3rd Bn/Artillery Regiment 276 and I am also looking for the history of the 276th VGD.

In 12/44 the 276th VGD was transferred via rail from training area Gruppe/West Prussia to the area DROHN/Moselle (ca. 20 km northeast of TRIER). Mid of 12/44 the division moved in the assembly area around WELSCHBILLIG and then into combat positions between WALLENDORF and BOLLENDORF along the Sauer-river, allocated to the LXXX. ArmyCorps with left neighbour 212. VGD and right neighbour 352. VGD (XIII. AK)

16.12.44 early morning: the 276th VGD crossed the Sauer with all 3 Grenadier-Rgt 986, 987 and 988, using rubber-boats and small barges and attacks south-west in direction BEAUFORT and MÜLLERTHAL (Luxemburg).

18.12.44: slow and bloody advance without support by artillery and assault guns; the Div.Cdr General Major Kurt Moehring kia at Beaufort, he is replaced by Col. Hugo Dempwolff.

20.12.44 spearheads of the Gren-Rgts at HALLER, CHRISTNACH and WALDBILLIG (8 km west of Sauer-river).

24.12.44: under heavy losses the 276th VGD holds position and is drawn back to the western banks of the Sauer until 26.12.44. During the night of the 28.12.44 the Div crosses the Sauer via a bridge - new build by engineers - at DILLINGEN and again by barges. On Dec, 28 the division is back in their starting position at WALLENDORF and has lost within 12 combat days approx. 2.000 men (kia, mia, wounded, sick)

03.01.45: 276th VGD is transferred to the area east of WILTZ by feet in deep snow and mud (distance approx. 35 km), some inf.companies have a combat strength of 10 men. The div is now under command of the LIII Army Corps and has the order to attack out of the area NOCHER-DAHL to the south and then to turn to the west and continue attack.

06.01.45: just in position and more or less prepared for the attack, the 276th VGD is hit by a heavy attack of the 80th (US) Inf.Div towards NOCHER-DAHL-GOESDORF. Counterattacks, supported by the Führer-Begleit-Brigade, are successless, the 276th VGD stays in the positions around NOCHER, defending house by house; the 3 Grenadier-Regiments have a strength left of 500 men.

21.01.45: Col. Dempwolff is wounded and the new divison commander is Col. Werner Wagner. The division holds positions west of WILWERWILTZ area against attacks of the 80th Inf.Div, but is forced to withdraw to the east up to the Our-River at OBER-EISENBACH (lux-german border). Defensive positions on the eastern banks of the Our are reached on Feb, 01, 45 and are being hold until Feb 05,45.

05.02.45: the 276th VGD is put under command of the XIII. AK and has immediately to move north in the area of PRONSFELD (approx. 8 km sw PRUEM). Order: takeover of positions of the 26th VGD in the area BRANDSCHEID-HABSCHEID (approx. 10 km west of PRUEM)

07.02.45: beginning of the heavy defensive combat in the area BRANDSCHEID-PRONSFELD, which last up to 12.02.45

13.02.45: withdrawal of the 276th VGD with 2 combat-groups (986/987) to "PRUEM-positions", south of the town of PRUEM; staying in positions until 16.02.45

17.02.45: 276th VGD reliefs the 340th VGD in their positions at SEVENIG-DAHNEN (Sevenig is located in the triangle Belgium/Germany/Luxemburg; Dahnen approx 8 km south of Sevenig). Until Feb 23rd heavy fighting in this area and then cpl. fall-down of the German frontline.

27.02.45: Surviving elements of the 276th VGD withdraw to the East to WAXWEILER, where they are picked up by combat group 988 ( remnants of 276th + 340th VGD and alert units).

28.02.45: relief of the 276th VGD remnants and transfer to an assembly area east of the Kyll-river. Parts of the artillery regiment remain at Waxwiler area and stay under command of the 340th VGD.

Mid of March 45: the division (or better: what's left) is put under command of the LXXXIX. AK and brought in positions south-west of KOBLENZ to defend the MOSELLE-grounds in this area. Around March 20, 45 the 276th crosses the Rhine-river at BREY (south of Koblenz) and disappears in early April.

Sources: the reports of the division commanders Colonel Dempwolff and Colonel Wagner, written for the NARA 1946/1947 (both are written in German language)

Even this is a long post, I hope I was able to give your some more detailed information about the 276th VGD. The a.m. reports mainly refer to the divisions situation and describe only less about the single regiments. I guess, your father was caught by the american troops during the heavy fights around the SEVENIG-DAHLEN-DALEIDEN area. My father was caught with his group in early March 45 at the village of SALM (approx. 3 km east of the Kyll-river), probably under command of the 340th VGD. He made the same way as your father: from Marseille to the States, POW in Wyoming, then POW under British command in Wales (we are still in contact with the family my father has worked for) and then back to Germany in August 48.

You can find all the towns, villages, rivers etc. mentioned either by using something like "viamichelin" or a street map with minimum scale 1:200.000

If you have any question, pls let me know - I will try to help!

Best regards

Lothar

P.S.: hope my English was more or less correct :wink:
Martins

276 VGD history

Post by Martins »

Hi Lothar

Danke sehr for the information - the detail is incredible! The next step for my brother and I is to contact the Bundes Archiv and see if they can provide more information using my father's Army registration number. We still have his soldat book detailing his training.

It's is fantastic to discover that others are researching this unit and share our information!

martin :D
Martins

More information

Post by Martins »

I have now discovered that my father was captured behind enemy lines on 24 February 1945 at Halenbach. This adds more detail to the above accounts.

We notice on my father's Soldatbuch that he was awarded leave following his promotion to Uffz on 1st January 1945. His leave dates were 8.Jan.45 to 21.Jan.45. He then received new equipment, including soap! Is it possible that leave was actually taken by front line troops during the Ardennes offensive?

martins
Last edited by Martins on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.