Help!

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Jason Petho
Supporter

Help!

Post by Jason Petho »

Hello!!

Hope someone can enlighten me with this unit...

4. M.G. Füs. Rgt 336

This was the unit that my Opa had served with. I'm trying to track down which division this is.

I have a copy of his "Besitzzeugnis" which I believe, but don't quote me, says he was wounded 10. April 1944.

Can anyone help?? :?:

Thanks in advance!! :D
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Jason,

I think it was Inf Div 161. It's home station was in Wehrkreis I. The division was formed in January 1940 and was continuously engaged on the Central Russian front where it suffered heavy losses. It was subsequently moved to the Southern Russian front in spring 1943 where it was at least until 1944 constantly in action.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Jason Petho
Supporter

Hello!

Post by Jason Petho »

I thought that was the case as well.. the 161. Infantrie Division... but then in my huntings here, at third reich and lexicon... I've come to the conclusion that the 336 Regiment was transferred to another division at some point...

So, Im confused
:D
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Jason,

Could be right, but I've got info up to 1944 only. I'm awaiting a new source which may shed more light on it. I'm hoping that Nafzigers "The German Order of Battle: Infantry in WWII will have more info. Will let you know if that is the case.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Richard Murphy
Supporter

Post by Richard Murphy »

From the aforementioned work by Nafziger;
On 19th November 1943...The staff (Of the division) formed the Staff/Corps Detachment "A" and the Staff/371st Grenadier Regiment formed the Staff/161st Division Group, with the 366th and 371st Regimental Groups...the Staff/336th Grenadier Regiment went to the 77th Infnatry Division...the 2/336th became the 1/959th.
The division was reformed from Corps Detachment "A" by the order of 27 July 1944 as follows:
336th Regimental Gp. became 1/371st Gren. Regt.

In August 1944 the division was destroyed near Jassy, southern Ukraine
(Isn't Jassy in Moldova?) It was disbanded on 9th October 1944 and the remains were used to rebuild the 76th Infantry and 15th Infantry Divisions

Hope that gave you some leads. Obviously, the location of your Opa in April 1944 would depend on whether his unit was in I or II Btn. and to which division II Btn. was attached to (If any!).

Regards from the Park,

Rich
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

Doh :shock: .. lol..

Thanks for that information Richard and Hans... Do you think it could be any more difficult?? LOL!!

Unfortunately, all I have for the unit is what I described in the first posting. 4.M.G.... could that be possible from I Battalion? I don't know.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, there are two divisional options? The 77. or 161. ... the "if any!" comment is interesting!!

Once again.. thank you!!

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

4. M.G. would be the machine-gun company of I. Btl.

Jason
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

Hello!

Thanks Jason!!

That would imply that he was with the 161 Division.

A friend of mine just informed me that the Division was in action around the the Pruth River in Romania (on April 10th).

Thanks again!!
:D
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
Dr. Sandy Mitcham

Post by Dr. Sandy Mitcham »

Dear Jason:

"4 M.G." is probadly the number of the company to which he was assigned.

German infantry battalions normally had 4 companies. The Number 4 Company was usually a heavy weapons or machine gun company. It was almost always part of the I Battalion.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Dr. Sandy Mitcham