Herman Goering Division & my Kettenkrad

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

philip turland

Herman Goering Division & my Kettenkrad

Post by philip turland »

I am restoring a Kettenkrad over here in the UK.

it is covered extensively here

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=177158

I would like to mark it up as a vehicle from the Herman Goering Fallschirm Panzer division but i am struggling to find the organisational structure for 1944 for this unit.

Could anyone help me please with units within this division which used Kettenkrads and what markings they used on the fenders and what tactical markings they used on the sides of the vehicle.

thanks guys, hope you can help

philip
Speak Softly But carry a BIG stick
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Just a suggestion, but if you are going to all the work to restore the vehicle then it might be worthwhile to buy the best and most detailed English language work on the subject. I believe the book is fully illustrated and will almost certainly show the markings you are looking for.

KUROWSKI, Franz. The History of the Fallschrim Panzerkorps Hermann Göring. J J Fedorowicz Pub; (September 1995). 504 pages. ISBN : 0921991258. Amazon: new $45.00. [excellent reviews – said to be the best work available on the subject - this is the English translation of the German original].

Then there is:

BENDER, Roger James and George A. Petersen. "Hermann Göring": from Regiment to Fallschirmpanzerkorps. San Jose: R. James Bender Publishing, 1975. ISBN 0-912138-12-2. 208p.

The Bender book is full of OBs covering 1935 to 1943 and for 1945. But nothing for 1944. It also has full color illustrations of all vehicle markings (it was a VERY complex system!), uniforms, ranks, flags, etc. It is also fairly well illustrated, but not a single shot of a Kettenkrad.

Incidently, I trawled through all 7 pages of the link you provided and it was well worth it. What an amazing transformation! You are very, very skilled at what you do, indeed. You must have had to design and machine at least some parts that were rusted through and required replacement. I hope you have it up and running by April. Good luck!

--Lorenz
philip turland

kettenkrad

Post by philip turland »

Thanks for that info

had to buy a lot of parts from czech republic and germany to get it this far.

some parts such as front fork friction damper i had manufactured from nothing.

not that difficult really, just expensive.

regards

philip
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Hey, I live in Northamptonshire. What part of Northampton do you live in? :)
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
philip turland

kettenkrad

Post by philip turland »

Alex Coles wrote:Hey, I live in Northamptonshire. What part of Northampton do you live in? :)
I live in moulton

the kettenkrad is at the airfield i work at on the weekend Bruntingthorpe, leicestershire

philip
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

OK, you want to mark up a KK for HG. 1Jun44 Establ. 132, Actual Nil, 1Jul44 same, 1Aug44 Establ 132, actual 4. 1Nov44 Establ. 310, actual 1. 1Dec44 Establ. 75, actual 17 runners with 1 in repair.

Roger
philip turland

kettenkrad

Post by philip turland »

thanks for that info Roger

my kettenkrad was built in February 44. It came from Normandy but the history is somewhat sketchy and possibly completely wrong so i intend to sever the normandy link for now and go with HG div markings

it would seem that the division didn't actually get any kettenkrads until August 1944 (4 only).

Any idea what unit/company they were in.

Asking a bit much maybe but you never know

thanks

philip
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Hi Philip,

Afraid not.

Roger
philip turland

kettenkrad

Post by philip turland »

Ok, i hava had a bit of a re-think

My kettenrkad originated from Normandy. I have been told it was found in a barn 2 miles outside Falaise and i have also been told it was found in the Vosges region of France.

I have discarded the HG division as they didn't have kettenkrad until they went to Russia in late 1944.

So back to Normandy it is.

There have been many vehicles marked as 21st Pz division. I want to be a little different and go with the 2nd Pz Division. Again, i have seen vehicles marked up as Recon vehicles and again i would like to be a little different and mark my kettenkrad as a vehicle from one of the Panzer Artillery Batteries from Pz Artillery Regiment 74

There were 5 kettenkrad's in the 1st Battery, 3 in the 2nd Battery and 4 in the 3rd Battery

I know what divisional marking they should theoretically wear but i am struggling with tha tactical markings.

Extensive searches have just confused me. I have found organisational charts with symbols but it says these are different to tactical markings. WWIIdaybyday is also confusing me

I am assuming the krads are towing the Flak 38's in each battery. Can someone tell me what tactical marking it should theoretically wear.

if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be most grateful. A Picture or diagram would really help me here

thanks in anticipation guys

philip