Motorized Mapping Detachments

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Abicht

Motorized Mapping Detachments

Post by Abicht »

According to Nafzinger's Order of Battle for the Infantry Divisions, it shows most of the divisions had a motorized mapping detachment assigned to them. Does anyone have additional information on the mission/operation/TO&E, or references to that info? Would there be a unit symbol for a mapping detachment/unit? I assume it would probably have a engineer/topo/pioneer look. Also were they tasked with providing maps to the staff for division and lower organic unit operations I assume? Thanks for any help.
M.Abicht
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

As you said the Kartenstelle was responsible for map supply for the units the headquarter had in command. The tactical symbol is the lowest in this column.

I don´t have a KStN of such a unit handy but maybe someone else can post the exact organisation.

\Christoph
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

See this topic:
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 81b0e08d39

To add a bit to that: As can be seen, the unit could print and reproduce maps. It also carried a small supply of maps. Furthermore, the men skillfulled repaired captured maps, and also could overprint them with German text. Besides having their own map units, the Army itself maintained map depots throughout the German Reich. Most army and army group headquarters also had map depots.

The symbol for these units depicted a stylized drum, the main part of the printing press. Initially, map units belonged to the Artillery Arm. In late 1941, they were formed into an independent service. Contrary to the military of other countries, they were never part of the engineer arm.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Abicht

Great info

Post by Abicht »

Thanks Leo & Christoph- This helps me better understand the how the tactical mapping units worked. I have come across many captured maps at the US National Archives that are Russian with over printed German reference names and marks. It now is more clear how these were used, and likely by who. Another question is who would make the maps of tactical areas they didnt have any existing stocks? Higher HQs? Luftwaffe photo mapping units? Thanks again to all.
M.Abicht
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Leo Niehorster wrote:The symbol for these units depicted a stylized drum, the main part of the printing press.
Thanks, Leo! I had been wondering about that!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

What do you mean with "maps of tactical areas"? Smaller sized maps? Can you specify the question.

\Christoph
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Sorry- I mean within the Divisional area of operations, or beyond. An example would be the 1942 drive toward the Volga, would the divisional mapping detachment be responsiable for getting the maps made on its own for the drive/operation, or would corp or army prepare the maps for routes and then give then to the Divisional staff to work off of. Rather detailed I know but you seem to have the most information on the subject. Thanks again.
M.Abicht
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

At least European Russia had been documented, map-wise, well enough that the division map unit was not making maps, tactical or otherwise. In any event, many maps were captured by the German advance. As the war continued the backs of maps of the USSR were cut to size (A4) and used as paper for other documents. Mind you, I don't know if these were captured originals, or the copies thereof produced by the German printing units.

No idea whether changes, amendments, etc. to maps were made at divisional level. Possibly any changes were sent on to higher headquarters. Not am I not familiar enough with the printing / copying process used by the divisional units as to venture an opinion if they actually published NEW / AMENDED maps, or just copied existing ones, overprinted them as necessary.

One does run across hand drawn maps and/or overlays in war diaries, artillery discussions, etc. These were usually marked with a map reference, so that the original document could be consulted for reference.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

Thank you for the insight, Mr Niehorster.

The subject is enlightening!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!