Composition of KG Telkamp, 9. SS-Pz.Div, Ardennes 44

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

V. Andries
Supporter

Composition of KG Telkamp, 9. SS-Pz.Div, Ardennes 44

Post by V. Andries »

Hi all,

Does anybody have the details on the composition of Kampfgruppe Telkamp from 9. SS-Pz.Div. 'Hohenstaufen', during the Ardennes Offensive?

The Kampfgruppe was led by Sturmbannführer Eberhard Telkamp, who was CO of the 9. SS-Panzer-Regiment. On December 21st, the KG made a first large attempt to take Poteau. During this attack, Telkamp's own Panther was destroyed, along with four more.

Neither Dugdale, Pallud or Dupuy, authors which usually give detailed information on the make-up of the Ardennes Kampfgruppen, have anything to offer on the composition of KG Telkamp. Is there anything in the Heimdal book, or does Tieke mention something? Another source?

Thanks in advance,

Andries
Tanker Mike
Supporter

Re: Composition of KG Telkamp, 9. SS-Pz.Div, Ardennes 44

Post by Tanker Mike »

V. Andries wrote:Does anybody have the details on the composition of Kampfgruppe Telkamp from 9. SS-Pz.Div. 'Hohenstaufen', during the Ardennes Offensive?
This won't help if you don't have the game and may not even if you do.

http://users.skynet.be/niemacks_place/F ... mes.htm#WF

All the best,
Mike
"It is well war is so terrible, we should grow too fond of it."
-Gen. Robert E. Lee
V. Andries
Supporter

Post by V. Andries »

Mike, thanks. I haven't got the game, but I managed to open the ORG-file as a TXT-file with Notepad.

The organisation of KG Telkamp in the scenario is as follows:

Stab 9. SS-Panzer Regiment
---Stab I./9. SS-Panzer Regiment
------1. Kompanie
------2. Kompanie
------5. Kompanie
------6. Kompanie
III./20. SS Panzergrenadier Regiment
13./20. SS Panzergrenadier Regiment
3./9. SS Panzer-Pioniere Abteilung
I./9 SS Panzer Artillerie Regiment
9. SS-Werfer Abteilung

But as with all game-OOB's one has to be very careful as to its accuracy. No source is given in the scenario description. The Hohenstaufen had no 9. Werfer-Abteilung, so this OOB is probably just made up by the scenario designer.

There seems to be no Foreign Military Study on the 9. SS in the Ardennes either...

kind regards,

Andries
Tanker Mike
Supporter

Don Fox

Post by Tanker Mike »

V. Andries wrote:But as with all game-OOB's one has to be very careful as to its accuracy. No source is given in the scenario description. The Hohenstaufen had no 9. Werfer-Abteilung, so this OOB is probably just made up by the scenario designer.
You are quite correct as OOBs are often tweaked for playablity. However, I seem to recall that the scenario designer gave a thanks to Don Fox. Don is quite knowledgeable about the Battle of the Bulge. He wrote a very good book about the 4th Armored Division in WWII. So, I would say the OOB would be fairly accurate.

All the best,
Mike
"It is well war is so terrible, we should grow too fond of it."
-Gen. Robert E. Lee
RichS

Re: Don Fox

Post by RichS »

Tanker Mike wrote:
V. Andries wrote:But as with all game-OOB's one has to be very careful as to its accuracy. No source is given in the scenario description. The Hohenstaufen had no 9. Werfer-Abteilung, so this OOB is probably just made up by the scenario designer.
You are quite correct as OOBs are often tweaked for playablity. However, I seem to recall that the scenario designer gave a thanks to Don Fox. Don is quite knowledgeable about the Battle of the Bulge. He wrote a very good book about the 4th Armored Division in WWII. So, I would say the OOB would be fairly accurate.

All the best,
Mike
The OOB may be accurate on paper, but it is unlikely that Telkamp had 4 Panzer companies fueled and operating in this area Dec 21-23rd. I would be interested to see if anyone can come up with a bit more information on Telkamp's operations in the Ardennes, as none of the better known sources can agree on what he actually had, where it was, and when.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hello Andries,

Unfortunately neither do Tieke or Fürbringer have such detailed info for the Ardennes Offensive.

According to both authors the group [just to note they don't use any designation for the group] was on 23.12. composed from elements of the following units: I./SS-Pz.Rgt.9, SS-Pz.AA9 and III./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.20. During the morning attack the I./SS-Pz.Rgt.9 lost 5 Panthers, the group repeated the attack in the afternoon and captured Poteau.

The attack on 21.12. was made by elements of II./SS-Pz.Rgt.9, SS-Pz.AA9 and II./SS-Pz.Art.Rgt.9.

Hope it helps
Marko
V. Andries
Supporter

Post by V. Andries »

Marko,

Thank you very much.

kind regards,

Andries