Communicating with the Volksbund

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Gefreiter
Supporter

Communicating with the Volksbund

Post by Gefreiter »

I believe that the Volksbund is doing an excellent job at finding lost graves and establishing, as well as maintaining, German war graves. Yet, it seems to me that they don't respond well to questions that are not exactly related to the search for a fallen or MIA soldier. For example, I asked (per e-mail) whether the Volksbund has any information about the location of the original German soldier-cemetery in or around Borisovka, Ukraine. I also asked whether the Volksbund has excavated any graves in that area. They did not answer my question but, instead, asked about the birth and death day of my relative. Has anyone ever received answers from the Volksbund to questions like mine?
Thanks,
Gefreiter
Brian38
Supporter

Re: Communicating with the Volksbund

Post by Brian38 »

Gefreiter wrote:I asked (per e-mail) whether the Volksbund has any information about the location of the original German soldier-cemetery in or around Borisovka, Ukraine. I also asked whether the Volksbund has excavated any graves in that area. They did not answer my question but, instead, asked about the birth and death day of my relative. Has anyone ever received answers from the Volksbund to questions like mine?
Thanks,
I'm not sure, but I think two reasons are possible.
1. Standard answer to you (perhaps because the person of Volksbund did not read your mail exactly or don't understand English so well)
2. They will not give information about cemetries to people who don't have relatives there. People who are digging (without permission) for soldiers are a big problem - especially in Russia, but perhaps also in Ukraine. SO - in the view of Volksbund - it is dangerous to give information about graves to somebody who don't have a relative there.

I think the 2nd reason is the one.
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Il faut avoir l'esprit dur et le coeur tendre. (Jacques Maritain)
RoterBaron

Re: Communicating with the Volksbund

Post by RoterBaron »

Brian38 wrote:2. They will not give information about cemetries to people who don't have relatives there. People who are digging (without permission) for soldiers are a big problem - especially in Russia, but perhaps also in Ukraine. SO - in the view of Volksbund - it is dangerous to give information about graves to somebody who don't have a relative there.

I think the 2nd reason is the one.
That is also my experience. They provided good information on my grandfather's place of burial, but I had to give his personal dates in order to obtain the information.

On a side note, I did not find his grave (it was not in a cemetery), but I met an old man who helped the Wehrmacht in that village bury their dead. It was a very moving moment, as you may imagine.

Good luck!
Roter Baron
jimNboss

Post by jimNboss »

I do not write of sad graves in the Ukraine.

I write only of a few graves of POWs lying near my home in Florida (USA) whose existence I knew nothing about until my recent accidental discovery by 'Google' search.

The URL and an extract of the few names of German POWs once buried nearby have been furnished to another established feldgrau.net contributer by 'PM' last night.

In the meantime, if any interest, simply search for 'graves Camp Blanding Florida' and read through the local memorialists' kind studies to find our German dead from WWII.

Thank you.