Question on 18. Infanterie- und Panzergren. Div

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi, part II:

4th army ordered XXXIX. PzK to move to the west.
Gen. Martinek confirmed this order: XXXIX. PzK is withdrawing together with Kampfgruppe XXVII. AK.
4th army ordered the XII. AK to move into a line 15 to 27 km west of the Dnjepr.
Nearly half of the 4th army succeeded in crossing the Dnjepr in the direction of the street Mogilew-Beresino-Minsk.
From now on only air supplying was possible.

Since 10.00 am the XII. AK passed the Druth.
18. PGD had no report from the I. and II/PGR 30 since 27.6.1944. The street Belynitschi-Berisno is overloaded and had no more capacity.
XII., XXXIX., and VI. corps were ordered at 5.45 pm to cross the Beresina immediatly.
Gen Martinek had been kia. 18. PGD crossed the Druth in the evening until the next morning.

At 5.30 am the 4th army ordered the XII. AK to went on to the Beresina south of Beresino, so the 18. PGD moved on in a more southern direction.
At 9.30 am it was told, that the remnants of the 9th army were standing near Marina Gora, half on the the way between Bobruisk and Minsk.
Columns of 31. ID were standing west of the the 18. PGD (near Motschesk, 9 km north of Dulebo, and blocked the marching of 18. PGD.

In the evening the III./PGR 30 crossed the Druth.

Russian aircrafts attacked the bridge across the Beresina in Beresino.
Near the bridge several commanders, within Oberst Nebe from PGR 30 discussed the situation.
GFM model ordered the remnants of the "old" 4th army in a north-western direction towards Wilna.
Meanwhile the heavily weakened XXXIX. AK /with I.+II./PGR 30) followed the XII. AK (with 18.PGD and III. PGR 30).
At 8.40 pm the XII. AK reported the situation by radio.

I./PGR 30 met the PzAA 118 south of Beresino and secured the lines in the Beresina-bridgehead.
18. PGD was defending against russian attacks in the area south of Igliza.
The other divisions of the old 4th army tried to reach the bridgehead, 57. ID had lost the contact, then was reported west of Golynka.
At 1.00 pm Gen. Müller reported the 18. PGD together with 267. ID in the line Dulebo-Motschesk-Babinka.
The divisons were told to retreat on to the river Klewa.
1.23 pm "old" 4th army ask again for air supply immediatly.
During the night, the bridgehead Borissow was lost.
Das Studium der Tagesmeldungen der Heeresgruppen ist mühseliger als die Lösung eines Kreuzworträtsels (Guderian 4.2.45)
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Wow! I've already lost the hope :D Many thanks!
Do not salute me. There are goddamned snipers all around this area...
Eduard
Supporter

18 PZgd in june 1944

Post by Eduard »

Great information Thomas , many thanks.

Is there any information of how many if any men did survive and not end in POW camps?

Do you have simiar information for other divisions of army group center: 25pzdGd, Feldherrnalle and 78th sturm.

Thanks again ,

Eduard
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi Eduard,

i am sorry, i had not enough time during the last weeks for posting more informations about PGR 30, 51 and AR 18.

But times are changing :D
and i will take a look for the other units.

Thomas
Das Studium der Tagesmeldungen der Heeresgruppen ist mühseliger als die Lösung eines Kreuzworträtsels (Guderian 4.2.45)
Eduard
Supporter

18, 25, feldherrnale....

Post by Eduard »

Thanks Thomas I will be very interested in your postings.

Thanks again

Eduard
veiss
Supporter

Re: 18, 25, feldherrnale....

Post by veiss »

Eduard wrote:I will be very interested in your postings.
Me too :D
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Part III:

In the morning of 2.7.1944 the big one and the small bridge about the Beresina were destroyed. 18. PGD ordered the “Standrecht”. Who leaves weapons or ammunition, was shot. The AOK 4 broadcasted that the position is unsettled in Minsk. Still in the morning became known that Minsk has been taken by Russian troops. With it the ring has been closed around the 4-th army. Under command of General Völkers the XXVII army corps found connection with the group Müller which further went back and was involved in violent fights.

In the night marsh 18. PGD reached the area to the north of Tscherwen. In the afternoon there Müller resolved to try the breakthrough to the south of Minsk, because the way to Smilowicze was blocked by russian troops. Now the no more required heavy weapons and the material were destroyed. Vehicles are destroyed because of lack of fuel..

On 4.7 Müller did not answer on radio call by AOK 4. The following units, rests of the 267 infantry division, were involved again in fights, and parts of 18. PGD intervened. These units succeed in freing themselves of the opponent russian troops and in finding connection with the main group in the night marsh again. The group Müllers was made up as follows for the breakthrough to the south of Minsk: Two PSW of PAA 18, then 2 Sturmgeschütze, cars, the radio unit, then the vehicles with the guns of the III./AR 18, to it the vehicles of general Müller, parts of the corps communications department and parts of the PioBtl. 18. Then as a main group followed the rests of PGR 30 and PGR 51. The front group was supplied with two anti-aircrafts on the march.

At night the commander of the PAA 18 (Lyncker) was heavy wounded, when the advance department had been involved in fights. Hauptmann Kolek took over and was wounded, too. Then Hauptmann Hanisch (III./AR 18 ) took over command. Both Sturmgeschütze were put to the point, after this the breakthrough succeded.

Still at night elements of the group crossed the river Wolma.

On 5.7. the top flight hit russian troops and changed the direction to the southwest. Before Aptschak the battle group is stopped by Russian troops again. Oberstleutnant Grote (Ia of 18. PGD) came forwards and was killed. In the battle Generalmajor Zutavern, commander of 18. PGD, probably also died.
At 8.30 Müller announced to the 4-th army: on the right there lies XII army corps, to the left the XXVII. AK. The XII army corps had reached Wolma. XXVII. AK was in the forest to the south of Pekalin.

At 10.00 the top flight was attacked before Aptschak by the Russian tanks which withdraw after engaging the two Sturmgeschütze. In the meantime the PGR 30 fought, at Wolma for crossing the river. Major Mucke (III./ 30) and his Adjutant Reber died in these fights.
At 14.20 the XXVII army corps announced that all attempts with the last forces have failed. The corps goes over to the defense, because the breakthrough had not succeeded.
In the afternoon both Regimenter 40 and 51 reached in fights with some parts over the river Wolma. Heavy losses had entered by Russian air raids. The last radio message of the 4-th army at 23 o'clock was answered no more.

On 6.7 the cohesion of the military units got lost. The regiments and divisions resolved.

On 8.7 Russian radios announced the capitulation of General Müller. For 18. PGD the area around Ryazewo was fixed as a meeting place of the rest parts escaped from the encirclement. Only a small group of 267. ID, under it parts of the PGR 30, tried a breakthrough to the west.
Last edited by cpa95 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Sincere gratitude, Thomas!
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Hi Thomas.
Where does all this info come from? Is it from any printed source or something?
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi veiss,

its from the book Infanterieregiment 30, Traditionsverband 1979, 360 p.

Regards
Thomas
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

The area described in part 3 is about 30 minutes drive from my house :up:
Did PGR 51 and AR 18 follow the same route or they went in other direction?
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi veiss,

for PGR 51 see page 1. Sorry, i dont have more informations about this regiment.
AR18 is my work for the next three months :D

Regards
Thomas
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

Maybe OT but i can post some detailed info on Kampfgruppe Gotthard (gruppenfuhrer Gotthard) main battle line south -east of Minsk..

More will follow if wanted... also the infamous Dirlewanger sturmbattalion was present aswell as Shuma battalions and sicherungsregimentdsfrom 4th Pz-armee... more will come
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

panzerschreck1 I am very interested in the information you've mentioned. Especially Kampfgruppe Gotthard battle south -east of Minsk. I'll be patient and wait :wink: