I/FJR3, October-December 1941

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Kolya

I/FJR3, October-December 1941

Post by Kolya »

Hello all, long-time since I used my account, but here goes...

I have been looking for info on I/FJR3 during their stint on the Neva Front in 1941. I have found several sources with rough data (When they deployed, when they came back) but what I absolutely, desperately need are details of their actions and movements - I don't mean to the minute, but a rough guide to what role they played on the front by way of actual actions.

I have already found much info at the Eagle19 site, but unfortunately I need more than what it offers :(
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Kolya!

This is what I found about I./FJR 3 in Erich Busch' book "Die Fallschirmjäger-Chronik" (1983)...

The I./FJR 3 relieved the badly weakened II./Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment in Petruschkino on October 6, 1941.

Then it's a more general description on how the FJR 3 fought and repelled several russian break-out attempts at the Wyborgskaja (soviet) bridgehead and between Schlüsselburg and Petruschkino in late November.

It's not much...

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Thank you so much :D

I had not even found a precise date before. Now I have that to work from, as well as the locales you mentioned, to acquire more info.

Again, thanks for your help. Would you recommend that book as a resource for the FJ?
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Kolya!

Yes, Erich Busch's book is a classic but might be hard/expensive to find today... But highly interesting and recommended are the series of books on the Fallschirmtruppe that the german publishers Köhler-Mittler, http://www.koehler-mittler.de/ , have released. The first three, and massive volumes (with a fourth coming this autumn) are:

"Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1936 - 1941: Ihr Aufbau und ihr Einsatz in den ersten Feldzügen der Wehrmacht" by Karl-Heinz Golla (2006).

"Die Deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1942 - 1945: Einsätze auf Kriegsschauplätzen im Süden" by Hans-Martin Stimpel (1998, 2nd ed. 2006).

"Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1942-1945: Einsätze auf Kriegsschauplätzen im Osten und Westen" byHans-Martin Stimpel (2001).

"Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1936 bis 1945. Band 4" by Günter Roth and Hans-Martin Stimpel (Autumn 2006).

These are massive and thoroughly researched books (I have just recently bought the two first volumes) and this series will probably be, at ca. 2000 pages!) the ultimate written history of the Fallschirmjäger in WWII!

I will buy the third book this summer and we'll see about FJR 3 im Osten...

http://www.koehler-mittler.de/

Regards,

Krollspell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Here's a very extensive list of Fallschirmjäger literature...

http://www.fallschirmjaegerbuch.de/erl.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

Vol. 2 of Peters' pictorial history of FJR 3 has almost nothing on their actions along the Neva. Mainly just a map of their positions on 15 Oct. They took very heavy losses during their deployment and Peters says one company took 120 casualties to all causes.

Even Stimpel has almost nothing on the actual combat faced by either FJR 1 or 3 along the Neva.

Jason
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Hmm... do you know of any sources more detailed?
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Also, another question: Does anyone know where Petruschino is? According to Google, Wikipedia, three atlas' and a Russia travel guide, there's no sign of it anywhere around Leningrad - the only one similarly-named is near Chelyabinsk :(
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

It's along the Neva according to the map in Peters.

Jason
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

I can't get access to that book at this time - do you have an online example I could look at please?
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi,

from the book "Geschichte der 96. Infanterie-Division":

During the attack on Oct, 3rd, 1941, the II./Fallschirmjäger-Sturmregiment lost nearly 50 % of his men (Wyborg-bridgehead). Then elements of 20. ID mot. were removed, and FJR 1 und 3 took their places. The 96. ID was commanding the newa-front south of Schlüsselburg.
III./IR 283 was given to the FJR 3, which had to defend the region of the Wyborg-bridgehead.

During Oct. 9th their were heavy russian attacks against the lines of FJR 3, supported by some tanks, which were brought across the Newa. The attacks were repeated on Oct. 20th.

The Commander of 7. Fliegerdivision, Generalleutnant Petersen, arrived on Oct. 25th. The russian attacks continued up to the 27th October, 1941 with unabated fierceness. 7. Fliegerdivision (with FJR 3) was supported by elements of the Artillerieregiment 227 and 196. The division was removed at the middle of November (up to Nov. 18th) by the 1 Infanteriedivision.

The opposing force during Oct and Nov was the Newa Operational Group (1st RD, 115th RD, 4th naval infantry brigade, 3 destroyer bat., 1 separate tank bat). They attacked eastwards in the Gorodok No. 1-direction.
(Glantz, The battle for Leningrad, p. 92).

Greetings
Thomas :wink:
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Greetings to you too Thomas :)

Thank you for that - I still am unable to find a map that details Petrushino and/or the 'brackets' of the Wyborg front... I managed to find a mention of Sinyavino on a map, only I now can't remember why that town is relevant to the topic :(
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi Kolya,

Ssinjawino ist really in the center of the german front southeast of Schlüsselburg (Lake Ladoga)/suothwest of Lipka(at the Lake Ladoga).Wyborg/Newa lies directly to the west of Ssinjawino. Mga (at the railway Leningrad-Kirischi) lies to the south of Ssinjawino.

The germans call it: Ladoga-Schlachten (no. 1-3)
The Russian side: Battles of Ssinjawino.

This is from Heereskarte, I/1943, "Zusammendruck Wiborg-Nowgorod V 61/W 59":

Greetings
Thomas
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Thanks again. I'm not sure why Sinyavino came into it, but I found myself looking into the town at one point in my research, but now I know where it is I forget just why I found it interesting :?

I now need to locate the exact sector of the Neva where the bridgehead was - still unable to find maps other than in the FJR3 books.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this because the map hadn't loaded, so I didn't know you'd provided one - thanks a lot :D
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi, a better quality:

Greetings
Thomas