Stellungs Artillerie Abteilungen 801, 802, 803, 804 and 805

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Paulus II
Patron

Stellungs Artillerie Abteilungen 801, 802, 803, 804 and 805

Post by Paulus II »

Hi all,

I came across these units recently and have been able to find very little information about them. They are denoted as Stellungs Artillerie but they also seem to have been raised as Flak Abteilungen in december 1939 and disbanded in september 1940. Apparanetly they were issued 83 mm guns but I don't know the type or the country of origin nor if they were Flak-guns capable of being used as fieldartillery or vice-versa.
Can anybody tell me more about these units or point me to a book or decent website.
Thanks in advance

Cheers, Paul
Ron Klages
In Memorium †

Some Information

Post by Ron Klages »

Paul,

Not my area but Tessin says they were equipped with 88s.

They were stationary artillery positions used on the West Wall defense. They were deactivated after the fall of France in August and September 1940.

There were 801 thru 807 each with 3 batteries of 88s and were assigned as follows:
801=Heerestruppe Saarpfalz
802=Heerestruppe Rheinfalz
803=Heerestruppe Saarpfalz
804=Heerestruppe Saarpfalz
805=Heerestruppe Saarpfalz
806=Heerestruppe Oberrhein
807=Heerestruppe Oberrhein

This is the Tessin info.

Hope it helps,

Best regards,

Ron Klages
Ron Klages
Lynnwood, Washington USA
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Hi Ron,

That has helped me a lot.
I was mostly interested in the type of gun they used. The 83mm I found on Leo Niehorster's site but I guess a small error has crept into his typing. It made me wonder wether they were armed with Austrian or Czeck or WW I guns and by what kind of men they were used. My guess would have been somewhat older and less fit men.
Since they were armed with modern guns (assuming the guns were Flak 18 or 36 and not an older naval gun for instance) the batallions were probably better suited to their task than I at first expected.
Thank you for the info.
I guess I really will have to pull out my wallet one of these days and buy Tessin's work.

Best regards,

Paul