42 Jäger Division (Italy 44)

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Martin Schenkel
Supporter

42 Jäger Division (Italy 44)

Post by Martin Schenkel »

I'm trying to determine a more accurate date as to when the 42nd Jäger Div arrived in Italy. The only reference I have, states that the unit was in Yugoslavia in May 1944, and moved to Italy "shortly after".

Martin
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence" - Sun Tzu
Christoph Awender
Patron

42.Jg.Div.

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello!

According to KTB OKW the first transport for Italy left on 27.Mai 1944

Christoph
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Christoph's info corresponds with some info I have as well that states that in May of 1944 the division received orders to move via transport to the region of Agram. In early June of 1944 it is listed as arriving in Ligurien in Italy where it was placed under the control of the LXXV.AK/Armeegruppe von Zangen for coastal security operiations.
C.G.
Supporter

Post by C.G. »

42. Jäger-Division reached the italian ligurian coast between the end of May and the first week in June. It took over positions held by 356. Inf.Div. from Ventimiglia to Rapallo. A map from July 1944 says:
Menton-Alassio: AA 142
Alassio-Varazze: Jäger-Rgt. 25
Varazze-Rapallo: Jäger-Rgt. 40
In the mountains in the rear of Ventimiglia was posted the Hochgebirgsjäger-Bataillon 3, in the rear of Albenga, Hochgeb.Jäg.Btl. 4.
Around the 20th of July 1944 it moved its units around Genoa and in the western part of Liguria the 34. Infanterie-Division took over.
About the middle of September it took over the positions held by 16. SS-Pz.Gren.Div. on the northern tuscan coast. By end of September 1944 the AA 142 was in the mountains south of Bologna.
From June to September the 42. Jägerdivision was only involved in antipartisan operations.
Best regards
C.G.