Panzerjaeger-Brigade Oberschlesien in 1945

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Charlie645
Supporter

Panzerjaeger-Brigade Oberschlesien in 1945

Post by Charlie645 »

Looking for OoB and history of this unit, reportedly formed in Bad Kudova in January 1945 to defend Upper Silesia (hence the name) under the leadership of Generalleutnant der Reserve Hyazinth Graf Strachwitz, whose Silesian family Schloss was in Grosstein. I already have the brief internet biographies of Strachwitz, I'm looking for more detailed information about the unit itself.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Charlie!

According to http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de the Panzer-Jäger-Brigade "Oberschlesien" was formed in April 1945 in Wehrkreis VIII (Schlesien) and consisted of three batallions.

You can always try to find the book "Der Kampf um Schlesien" by Hans von Ahlfen (Motorbuch Verlag Stuttgart) for potential further information on this unit. Try http://www.amazon.de

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Strachwitz is today a part of Wroclaw (Breslau). Bad Kudova today is Kudowa-Zdroj. Both towns are not in Upper Silesia but Lower Silesia. Anyway Upper Silesia was in Russian hands to January 24th 1945. Lower Silesia was captured by Russians from February to 9th May 1945.
Charlie645
Supporter

Thank you both

Post by Charlie645 »

Thanks Krollspell and Perx. Has anyone read "Der Kamp um Schliesen" by Hans von Ahlfen? Does it contain information about the reported cooperation in January 1945 between Rudel's Stuka Geschwader and the "spezielle panzerjagd" unit commanded by Strachwitz in defense of their native Silesia?
WorldwarBill

Re: Panzerjaeger-Brigade Oberschlesien in 1945

Post by WorldwarBill »

I have seen this unit also referred to as Panzerjager Brigade 2, and Georg Maier says that it arrived in Austria on April 18th, 1945.