Kavallerie Regiment 6

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Berkler

Kavallerie Regiment 6

Post by Berkler »

Hello, I am looking for any information regarding the 6th Cavalry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, such as when and where it was formed, when and where it fought, when and where it surrendered, etc.

While on a trip to Germany in 1994, I met a veteran (Private 2nd Class) of this unit. He entered the service in 1939. He stated he was a liason officer between the 36th Division (commanded by General Conrady) and the Army Group (commanded by General Schoerner) and he was assigned a motorcycle. I have pictures of him that he gave me as a recruit in 1939 and as a veteran (home on leave) in 1943. During our visit, he showed me numerous decorations he kept privately stored away in his home, as well as his yellow-piped shoulder straps that he kept from his uniform. I also have a picture that he gave me of him and some fellow soldiers in a bunker on Christmas Day 1942 near the River Jausa, Chatsk taken with his AGFA camera. Of the 120 men in his company, he was one of 16 who survived the war.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. (Please excuse any mistakes in spelling above.) Thank you!
Last edited by Berkler on Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Berkler
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Brad,

It appears that someone has gotten their information confused. To wit:

Kavallerie Schützen Regiment 6 was part of the 7th Panzer Division not the 36th Infanterie Division.

Generalmajor Alexander Conrady commanded the 36th from January 1944 to July 1944 (when the division was destroyed). During that time the division was under Army Group South, Army Group North Ukraine, and Army Group Center, none of which were commanded by Ferdinand Schoerner during that period. Prior to commanding the division, Conrady had commanded a battalion and then a regiment of the division (August 1941 - mid 1943) but Schoerner was in Norway at that time.

So, I guess the first question is: do you want to know about Kavallerie Schützen Regiment 6 or 36 Infanterie Division.

Jerry
Last edited by Jerry on Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berkler

Kavallerie Schützen Regiment 6

Post by Berkler »

Jerry,

Thank you for the clarification! To answer your question, I would like to know more about Kavallerie Schützen Regiment 6. For example, was the unit near the River Jausa, Chatsk in December 1942?

Again, any information would be greatly appreciated!
Berkler
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Ok, I'm confused! Berkler, you mentioned
He stated he was a liason officer between the 36th Division (commanded by General Conrady) and the Army Group (commanded by General Schoerner) and he was assigned a motorcycle.

So, how does the 7.Panzer-Division play into this? You originally requested information regarding the 6th Cavalary Regiment in relation to the 36.Inf.Div. - I in fact don't think this is entirely wrong! Kavallarie-Regiment 6 existed in 1939 just prior to the outbreak of WWII in September. Like all other existing cavalry regiments in 1939, minus those resident in the 1.Kavallarie-Brigade, (I believe there were about 11 or 12 others), the 6.Kav.Reg. was broken up into sub-units and sent off to existing infantry divisions to help serve as liason and recon units attached at the regimental level. So, it could make perfect sense for your fellow to have been in Kavallarie-Regiment 6 and then in the 36.Infanterie-Division.

Something to consider!
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Brad,

As Jason says it is possible that your man served in Kavallerie Rgt. 6 and then the 36 Inf. Div. but Kav.Rgt 6 was never a part of the 36 Inf.Div., and was in fact disbanded on August 26, 1939. As I said, Kavallerie Schützen Regiment 6 was part of 7 Panzer Division throughout the war.

As to the river you mentioned, I cannot locate it. In December 1942 the 36th Inf.Div.(mot) was located near Gshatsk, about 100mi west of Moscow, and 7th Panzer Div. was in transit from France to the Tatsinskaya area, about 150mi west of Stalingrad. I'm afraid that's the best I can do with the information provided.

Jerry
Berkler

6th Cavalry Regiment

Post by Berkler »

Jerry & Jason,

Thank you for the information! What got me a little confused is that he wore his yellow-piped shoulder straps/boards with the letter "6" on them throughout the war and showed them to me during my trip to Germany in 1994. This was the original unit he entered in 1939. But my notes do say that he was with the 36th Infantry Division which he entered later. The Vet did not speak english and I had an interpreter (family friend) with me.

As far as "Chatsk", my interpreter may have gotten it wrong and it is actually Gshatsk? Is there a river near Gshatsk?
Berkler
joscha
WWII Vet

Berkler's original entry

Post by joscha »

One thing is curious: How could a PVT, the lowest rank in the Army anywhere (different titles, OK), be a liaison officer at the staff of a high ranking general officer, and that throuighout the war.

As a private, he might have driven the motor cycle as a means of traveling quickly from point A to point B; however, I do not racall officers being used to such menial tasks.

Just my 1.7 cents (US). Joscha
"Move, you ^77&%#4@0(*! You wanna live forever?" - Primus sergentus in the VIIth Roman Legion.
Berkler

Private 2nd Class???

Post by Berkler »

Joscha,

You raise an interesting point! As in my earlier reply, the facts may have gotten garbled or misunderstood by me during translation. After re-checking my notes, what I do know for sure from his comments to me (through his interpreter) is this:

* He entered the German Army in 1939.
* He was a Private 2nd Class in the 6th Cavalry Regiment (He described it as a "training unit/elite unit"). He wore his yellow-piped shoulder straps with the "6" insignia throughout the war.
* He later became attached to the 36th Infantry Division. There were 120 men in his company, and he became the "company leader".
* He then became a liaison "officer" between the 36th ID and Army Group as he had a motorcycle assigned to him (as when he was with the 6th Cavalry Regiment).
* He served on the Eastern Front from the invasion of Russia until the German surrender.
* Only 16 of his 120 man company survived the war.
Berkler
Berkler

Post by Berkler »

To supplement the written story and pictures he gave me during our visit in 1994, I would like to know more about the 36th Infantry Division, such as when and where it was formed, when and where it fought, when and where it surrendered, etc.

I appreciate all the responses and clarifications!
Berkler
Fish
Contributor

your vet

Post by Fish »

Sounds like maybe your friend meant to have said he was a courier and not liaison officer. That would help clairifyand justify the motocycle and rank.
Fish
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
Berkler

The Vet

Post by Berkler »

Here is a picture of him taken in 1943:

Schwefel 1943
Berkler
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Yes, your man's story is consistent. Forget the Kav. 'Schuetzen' bit. Kavallerie Regiment 6 was broken up on mobilization in 1939. Part went into AA 36 (Recon detachment), 36 ID. 36ID was converted to motorized division after French campaign. After Kursk and Orel, it was demotorized and renamed 36ID again (October 1943). He was probably kradmelder in detachment staff as he ran messages to higher headquarters. Being allowed to wear Kav. Regt. 6 shoulder straps is not suspicious. I have seen several examples of this practice. Anyway Goldgelb piping was officially authorised for former Kav. personnel in infantry units and formations.

Roger Griffiths