63 Infanterie Regiment

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

tigre
Patron

63 Infanterie Regiment

Post by tigre »

Hello gentlemen

I'm looking for an Officer List (stellenbesetzung?) of this particular regiment on 1939 and 1940 (If possible down to battalion level or below).
Thanks in advance. Regards. Tigre.
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
tigre
Patron

Infanterie Regiment 63 at Tomaszow 1939.

Post by tigre »

Hello to all, greetings from Argentina. A story about the actions of one German infantry regiment in Poland 1939. From MILITARWISSENSCHAFTLICHE RUNDSCHAU. Dec 1939; published in the Foreign Military Digests, jun 1940.

Incidents of the Polish Campaign 1939: Engagement of the 3d battalion, 63d Infantry Regiment, 20 september at Tomaszow.

19 sep 39: on the evening the 3rd Battalion Infanterie Regiment 63 took up a position in the rear left flank of the regiment at Huta Dzierazynskie.
Troops of one of our light divisions were engaged with a strong hostile force located near Zamosc (about 12,5 miles to the north) and also in the vicinity of Tomaszow. Tarnawatka towards south was in flame. On hill 325,8 toward the southeast one engineer’s coy occupied a broad front facing southward. They have been summarily driven back toward the north during a polish attack but had retaken the above mentioned hill (sketch 1).
We could hear part of our own artillery firing toward south from their positions immediately southeast of Tarnawatka. Simultaneously the engineer coy called on the regiment for help. They claimed that due to the elongation of their outpost line had not been able to withstand the force of the polish attempt to break-through during the preceding night.
The divisional artillery commander also expresed concern for his batteries. The 3d Battalion, therefore, was ordered to occupy the hill 325.8 with a reinforced company.
Whereupon the battalion commander issued the following oral order:

“A strong hostile force fighting in the vicinity of Tomaszow is making vigorous and relentless attempts to effect penetrations in all directions. A fresh attempt to break-through toward the north and northeast, especially during the night, must also be reckoned with constantly. A company of engineers disposed on a broad front is holding the hill southeast of Tarnawatka [325,8]. They have requested help. You can hear our own artillery firing toward the south from their positions at Tarnawatka. This artillery is also in danger of a hostile attack.
The 9th company, reinforced, will move immediately across the southeastern portion of Tarnawatka to the hill directly to the front thereof and prevent a hostile penetration on both sides of the main highway. The company will extend its defensive position to the right of the main highway up to the large lake. Combat posts along the Wieprzow creek. Combat intelligence to be pushed southward. The company of engineers deployed to the left of the road is placed under your command. Fires to be coordinated with our own artillery. Messages to battalion by motorcycle to the regimental command post. The rest of the 3d battalion will remain at the disposition of the regiment in the local bivouac at Huta Dzierazynskie.”
As the reinforced company moves up, the battalion commander gave them a few encouraging words and then he retired to the local bivouac.
About midnight the 9th company reported that it had occupied the defensive position as ordered and had established contact with the company of engineers and the artillery. There was evidence of fighting in the vicinity of Tomaszow, whence also came the sound of lively artillery fire.

Note: the 9th company was reinforced with one infantry mortar section and one portable radio detachment.

This follows ASAP. Regards. Tigre.

tigre
Patron

Infanterie Regiment 63 at Tomaszow 1939 - 2d part.

Post by tigre »

Hello to all, this is the second part.

20 Sep 39: About 02:00 AM (sketch 2) the 3d battalion was ordered forward to the hight ground south of Tarnawatka with orders that the entire battalion take over the mission of the 9th company. About 03:00 AM the 3d battalion (less the 9th company reinforced) with the infantry mortars divided between the 10th and 11th Companies, moves out of the bivouac on to the highway leading to Tarnawatka. Having arrived at the southeastern part of the town, which meanwhile had undergoing considerable burning. I halted the battalion, had the light machine gun dismounted and ordered ammunition, hand grenades, pyrotechnics, etc, to be issued. I took advantage of the time afforded thereby to contact the 9th Company and the artillery. At the recommendation of the company commander of the 9th Company, I moved forward with the battalion to the Command Post of the 9th Company, located about 550 yards southeast of East Tarnawatka. I also commited another rifle company during the night as well as the infantry cannon platoon and parts of the machine gun Company. The 10th Company I placed in position to the right rear and then contacted the artillery battalion commander.

According to the Company commander of the 9th Company and the artillery commander, some enemy (estimated one Polish cavalry and infantry regiment) were hidden in the wood west of Pankow, and a strong hostile force in the wood north of Tomaszow. About 04:30 AM intensely heavy artillery fire and the sound of lively fighting reopened, estimated as coming from the vicinity south of Tomaszow-Lubelski.

We believed the enemy was attempting to effect a break-through toward the south. I reported my convictions to the regiment by telephone and in writing and proposed to carry out our mission by attacking in the direction of Tomaszow. I made preparations so that my battalion could attack at once, with its left flank along the main highway, and coordinated my plans with the artillery commander.

At 06:30 AM the regimental commander issued the following order:
“Regiment attacks 07:00 AM with the 3rd battalion on the west of, 1st on the east of the highway. Objective the high ground south of the large wood northwest of Tomaszow. The area in which there are a number of ponds, located about 1.100 yards south of the Dabrowa forestry, was assigned as the objective of the 3rd battalion.

More follows ASAP. Regards. Tigre.

tigre
Patron

Infanterie Regiment 63 at Tomaszow 1939 - 3d part.

Post by tigre »

Hello to all, the 3d part.

Thereupon on the high ground 1.650 yards north of Kozia Wolka in the presence of the assembled company commanders, the leader of the attached infantry cannon platoon and the artillery commander, I issued the following oral order for the attack (skecht 3):

“The enemy appears to be attacking Tomaszow from the north and south in order to force a break-through. Friendly reconnaissance patrols report Pankow unoccupied, but as yet have been not able to ascertain wheter the enemy is still hidden in the wood west of Pankow or in the wood northeast of Tomaszow. We must considerer both possibilities.

The 63 Infantry Regiment, with the 3rd battalion on the right of, and the 1st battalion on the left of, the main highway, will attack in the direction of Tomaszow, in order to effect the complete desintegration of the hostile resistence. Objective of the regiment the high ground north of Tomaszow, objective of the 3rd battalion the high ground immediately south of the Dabrowa forestry.

First objective of the battalion the ridge 2.700 yards to our front, including the individual farms.
Time of attack: 07:00 AM.
Formation of attack: in the assault the 11th Company on the left to include the highway; frontage 550 yards. The 10th Company will follows at a distance of 330 yards, echeloned to the right rear, deployed for the attack.

The 9th Company in reserve will follow at a distance of 550 yards in rear of the center of the battalion until it reach the small woodlot beyond the swamp (875 yards south of Kozia Wolka).
The heavy infantry mortars will remain attached to the rifle companies.
A machine gun section, from position on this hill, will support the advance of the battalion across the marsh and will prevent any hostile flanking movement from the wood east of Pankow. It will follow the advance as soon as possible. The bulk of the heavy machine guns will accompany the assault companies and render immediate support to the attack whenever resistence is encountered. I believe that the attack can be advance very quickly once we have reached our first objective.

The infantry cannon platoon, attached to the 11th Company, will accompany an assault group that will push froward along the road. Its mission is to crush the resistence of the nemy with direct fire and disorganize him.
The artillery battalion to cover the advance of the battalion across the marsh by firing on any enemy appeared on that hill or along the edge of the wood and to support the attack.
The artillery liaison officer to accompany me. Any hostile action from the vicinity of Pankow, directed against the right flank of the battalion must be crushed by switching a part of the fire.
I will follow the right flank of the 11th Company at a distance of 330 yards. The next battalion command post will probably be either that house over there (Kozia Wolka) or the few, somewhat separated high fir trees in the wooded area west of the main highway.
Messages via radio of the 10th and 11th companies.”

While the company commanders were issuing orders, a few noncommissioned officers with motorcycles were reconnoitering the main highway leading to Tomaszow.
At 07:00 AM the battalion attacked. While approaching and crossing the marshy ground near Kozia Wolka, We encountered no hostile fire. While following the right flank of the 11th Comtmny and crossing the marshy Wiewrzok Brook, the noncommissioned officer sent out by the 11th Company, returned with the following message: “strong enemy forces along the entire highway, There should be shout 20 to 30 pieces of artillery there. We surprised about 50 Poles. They are being taken to Tarnawatka by a member of my patrol. According to one of the prisoners the enemy have artillery in position along the edge of the wood over there for the purpose of mowing us down when we arrive within 50 yards of the position, I realized that we could expect strong resistence along and to the right of the main highway, and that the attack would prove more successful if it were extended along a broader front.

I therefore ordered the 10th Company to contact the 11th Company with its left flank and to advance the attack on a frontage of 550 yards. About 07:45 AM the 10th and 11th companies reached the first objective, an elongated hill covered with underbrush and scattered groups of buildings, about 1.650 yards south of Kozia Wola (Skecht 3). The battalion staff arrived at the battalion Command Post, the previously designated group of trees about 330 yards north of the right flank of the 11th Company . The 9th company that had been required to follow immediately in rear of the battalion staff as reserve, followed at a distance of about 1.100 yards, as the reassembling of the widely separated elements along the broad front had caused some delays. At this time a prisoner was brought to me. He also claimed that strong artillery and several companies of infantry were hidden in the wood, and that parts of the enemy artillery were in position along the edge of the wood in front of our position for the purpose of firing on us when we arrived within close range. This information led me to believe that the wood was occupied by the enemy and secured by rifle and machine gun fire (possibly firing from trees). Two enemy machine gun had been detected mounted on a woodshed. As I desired particularly to have the 9th Company continue the attack, I decided to press forward after first subjecting the enemy in the wood and along its edge to a fitting artillery preparation. Through the artillery liaison officer and by telephone to the regiment I requested an artillery preparation be laid down in the edge of the wood. I also requested that the artillery battalion, cooperating with our battalion displaced one artillery battery forward to a position immediately in rear of the battalion command post in order it might be available for immediate action against the sporadic cropping up of centers the resistance. Regiment agreed to have our light, and one heavy artillery battalion laid down a preparation between 08:30 and 08:45 AM. The forward displacement of one battery was likewise carried out.

Meanwhile the battalion was ordered to continue the attack and all heavy weapons were moved forward. From the vicinity of the main highway we could hear heavy machine gun and rifle fire from the edge of the wood in front of us came intermitent machine gun and heavy rifle fire (firing from trees) directed against anything that moved.
About 08:40 AM the regimental commander informed me that negotiations for surrendered were being considered. I informeed him that I would contunue the attack as soon as the artillery preparation was lifted and the battery which had been so ordered moved forward. About 09:00 AM it was reported to me that this battery would shortly be prepared to open fire. The 10th Company reported to me that an enemy battery had withdrawn from the edge of the wood toward the west and that they had fired on this battery with infantry mortars and heavy machine guns. Observers from the battalion staff and from the 11th Company reported to me that they had seen individual enemy troops running back and forth along the edge of the wood, and that it appeared as though the enemy were about to abandon their positions. I decided immediately to take up the pursuit.

More follows ASAP. Regards. Tigre.

tigre
Patron

Infanterie Regiment 63 at Tomaszow 1939 - 4th part.

Post by tigre »

Hello to all, the fourth part.

Shortly after 9:00 AM the 10th and 11th Companies attacked the edge of the wood. Weak rifle fire was directed against the left flank of the 11th Company and some machine gun fire against other of our troops. The enemy machine guns on the edge of the wood were covered by fire from the forward battery. The 10th Company and the right flank oft he 11th Company advanced hesitatingly toward the edge of the wood. Before the left flank of the 10th Company, the fire of the forward battery or one farther to the rear was falling on the edge ef the wood. In spite of repeated shooting of green signal lights (it was understood that a green signal light would indicate a request to increase the range of artillery fire 2,200 yards). the fire of this battery could not be interrupted. In order to avoid delay, and to deny the enemy any time in which to organize his resistance. I ordered the left flank of the 10th Company to continue the pursuit and encumvent our own artillery fire.

During the advance of the battalion through the wood, our staff came suddenly upon a gap in the wood between the assaults waves of the 10th and the 11th Companies. The sound of fighting on the main highway had stopped; in the wood we could still hear considerable rifle firing. In order to maintain direction I ordered: “March toward the sun.”

About 880 yards north of the southern edge of the wood I sent forward a battalion staff sergeant along a road in the wood in order to ascertain whether this road lead southward. Whereupon the staff sergeant came upon a mass of Poles and knocked their officer down. The Polish soldires then threw down their arms and surrendered. The staff sergeant returned with about 40 prisoners. In order to secure the advance of the battalion staff I ordered a patrol, selected from the 9th Company, which was following immediately in our rear, to precede the battalion staff and mop up the wood on both sides of the road. Without encountering further resistance, a number of Polish soldires had thrown away their arms and surrendered, the battalion staff arrived at the southern edge of the wood simultaneously with the advanced elements of the 9th Company. We could see nothing of the 11th Company on our left. It was still hidden in the wood. To the right front were parts of the 10th Company that had reached their objective, whence the attack was to be continued after the necessary suporting fires had been provided for. From the position of the battalion staff we could see that the high ground was occupied by a great number of enemy riflemen and machine guns engaged in firing on the 10th Company. Many enemy riflemen and machine guns directly of the battalion staff were delivering flanking fire against the left flank of the parts of the 10th Company that had pushed forward. Their entire flank was exposed. In order to relieve the 10th Company and to seize the hill directly south of the edge of the wood, a position which appeared to present a commanding situation with respect to Tomaszow (mainly there are no ponds as shown in the skecht, the area consisting largely of dried up, partially marshy, deeply cut troughs and depressions). I decided at once to commit the 9th Company to fill the gap between the 10th and the 11th Companies.

The last part follows. Regards. Tigre.
tigre
Patron

Infanterie Regiment 63 at Tomaszow 1939 - 5th part.

Post by tigre »

Hello folks here goes the last part.

The 9th Company deploying as it came out of the wood completely surprised the Poles with flanking rifle and machine gun fire and within a few minutes had captured the dominant high ground, thereby causing the rapid collapse of the hostile resistance confronting, the 10th Company.

Same stormed a strongly occupied hill close to the edge of the wood, a hostile battery that during the attack had been firing on the 11th Company but was now half limbered was captured; then they pushed on to another hill which dominated the Tomaszow valley.

Shortly before 10:00 AM the entire battalion had arrived on the dominant heights north of Tomaszow, the objective as ordered by the regiment, and was prepared to continue the pursuit. The enemy fleeing toward Tomaszow and the east were taken under annihilating light and heavy of machine gun fire.

While issuing brief orders to provide for the forward movement of the infantry cannon platoon and the forward displacement of the artillery, I received orders from regiment that negotiations for surrender were in progress, that the fire was to be adjusted and the present line held.

A few hours later it was announced that the enemy had agreed to surrender. The prisoners taken were 7 officers and 572 men. We captured 16 guns including some pieces of heavy caliber, 9 antitank guns; a vast number of light and heavy machine guuns, rifles, trucks, horses and other materiel.

Heinz Greiner as Lt Col was the commanding officer of the 3d Battalion 63d Infantry Regiment at that time.

Greiner picture taken from: http://www.ritterkreuztraeger-1939-45.de/

Cheers. Tigre.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

WONDERFUL information!!! Thanks for posting it!!!! :beer: :beer:
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thank you Jason, you're welcome. Cheers. Tigre
tigre
Patron

IR 63 on the Somme 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello to all folks, something more about this unit this time in France 1940.

The Breakthrough of the German 63d Infantry Across the Somme, 5-6 June 1940
[from an article in Militarwissenschaftliche Rundschau, November 1940. Translated from the German in the Translation Section, ‘The Army War College”, Washington DC,]

In preparing to cross the Somme, the 63rd Infantry was shifted nearer the river on 3 June. For several days here had been thorough reconnaissance of the Somme sector on both sides of Picquigny.

The reinforced 1st Battalion relieved the security elements of another division along the Somme during the night of 3-4 June and moved into the sector as follows:

Right boundary: Road fork 400 meters east of La Chausee-Tirancourt—crossroads in the east part of Picquigny-east edge of Fourdrinoy.
Left boundary: Crossroads 1,400 meters southeast of St. Vast-on-Chausee — Ailly-sur-Somme (exclusive) — St. Christ-Ferme.

The battalion had orders to form so as to be able, besides securing the Somme sector, to cover and support later the attack of the 2d Battalion, on, the right, and the 3d Battalion.

On the left, astride the large pond 1,000 meters east of Picquigny. This support was to be furnished by the heavy weapons which were to take up positions at Tirancourt and Camp Romain and fire on hostile strong points on the high ground south of the Somme. In addition, the 13th Cornpany (Regimental Infantry Cannon Company) placed a Platoon of light infantry cannons in the ravine 400 meters west of Camp Remain and a platoon of heavy in fantry cannons in the ravine north of Camp Remain for the same support mission.

Artillery designated for cooperation with the Regiment was displaced as follows: a battalion of light field artiIlery in the region 1,500 meters west of St Vast- on. Chausee; a battalion of light field artillery in the depression south of St. Vast-on-Chaussee; and a battalion of heavy field artillery in positions approximately 800 meters north of St. Vast. The three battalions were combined into one artillery group. —

The main body of the Regiment took up a position in readiness located farther to the rear: the 2d Battalion occupying the bois Ducroquet, the 3d Battalion the woods southwest of Flesselles. Headquarters Company and Regimental Headquarters moved into the vicinity of the church at Flesselles; one-half of the 13th Company into the northern part of the woods west of Flesselles: 14th Company (Regimental Antitank Company) into the southern Part of the woods west of Flesselles. The regimental trains likewise were advanced into those woods, The location of the regimental command post for the crossing was reconnoitered and prepared at the bluff just west of the letter “C” of the word “Camp Romain. ” The combat posts of the 1st Battalion and artillery group were established close by.

The fourth of June was spent in a detailed reconnaissance of the area and the preparation of the auxiliary material to be used in establishing a crossing. Trees were available in the deep ravine which extends from the region south of St. Vast southwestward. The artillery fire of approximately three light and one heavy hostile batteries, which had been concentrated on the ravine throughout the night, abated during the day. This permitted the auxiliary material for the crossing to be brought it up and all other preparations to be made without interference. A company of engineers, attached to the Regiment, constructed two ferries, one for the crossing of the 2d Battalion west of the large lake one kilometer east of Picquigny, the other for the crossing of the 3d Battalion east of that lake; in addition, it prepared a foot bridge of kapok bags for the 3d Battalion.

Map source: http://www.qdg.org.uk/maintext/worldwar2page1.htm#somme

Cheers. Tigre.
tigre
Patron

IR 63 on the Somme 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello folks. The IR 63's story goes on.

During the night of 4/5 June, the assault elements of the reinforced Regiment moved into their reconnoitered positions in readiness on the north bank of the Somme. The boundary line between the 2d (right) and 3d Battalions (left ) was designated as follows: Line of the creek running through the ravine north and west of Camp Romain-east edge of the pond one kilometer east of Picquigny—Hill 99.

The piece of woods 1,200 meters south of Hill 74 (2d Battalion) and the south edge of the woods south of Hill 99 were fixed as the initial objective. Under the cover of that narrow bridgehead, a four-ton bridge was to be erected at Breilly for the artillery, combat vehicles and so forth. Elelments of the 3d Battalion were to take Breilly from the rear. The idea of ferrying guns across the Somme, on both sides of the large lake, was dismissed, after reconnaissance parties pushed on across the river during the night and found the lowland along both river banks a solid large swamp. It was barely passable for infantry, though the men later waded up to their hips and neck in the swamp and had to use beams, planks and poles to make their way through the swamp.

The high reeds covering the swamp permitted the infantry to cross the lowlands under cover, that is, to reach under cover the numerous machine gun nests which the enemy had strung out along the steep slope just south of the Picquigny-BreiIly road. It was clear that the decisive phase of the entire action consisted in the assault launched from the cover of the swamp against the steep slopes and machine-gun nests. The issue at stake depended upon the success that assault. Therefore, every leader, including the Regimental Commander, had to be up front, where they could exercise their influence upon their men at the moment of the assault on the steep slopes.

In the attack orders, zero hour was set at 4:30 AM (dawn). All rifle companies of the two battalions were to attack frontally and with surprise effect. The artillery and heavy weapons had orders to open fire on observed targets at the same hour. In that connection, the heavy infantry cannon platoon had the mission of firing on Breilly and demoralizing the enemy located there.

The frontline battalions were reinforced hy a light infantry cannon platoon and an antitank platoon each. These light infantry cannons an antitank guns were to be ferried across the river and moved up rapidly by way of two dry paths, one of which led in the direction of each battalion.

The remainder of the 13th (Regimental Infantry Canon Company) and 14th (Regimental Antitank Company) companies likewise had orders to follow across the river at the earliest possible moment. The 2d and 3d Battalions were reinforced by the necessary elements for antitank defense.

Here some pics about the fights on the Somme at Picquigny (IR 63) http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/photos/ ... viiiak.htm

Source: The Breakthrough of the German 63d Infantry Across the Somme, 5-6 June 1940
[from an article in Militarwissenschaftliche Rundschau, November 1940. Translated from the German in the Translation Section, ‘The Army War College”, Washington DC,]

Cheers. Tigre.
tigre
Patron

IR 63 on the Somme 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello to all.

The attack jumped off.

The attack went under way at 4:30 AM. as ordered. Aided by its many foot bridges and small inflated rubber boats,the infantry rushed across the Somme and pushed on through the swamp, heedless of the unbelievable difficulties in its path. The obstacles were greatest in the zone of the 3d Battalion. The danger was that, if that battalion did not succeed in carrying the assault forward from the swampy round, the attack of the 2d Battalion, which in part was carried over firmer ground, also Would come to a halt. With that in mind, the men of the 3d Battalion put forth every ounce of their strength; wading up to their chests in water, the Battalion Commander in front, elements of the Battalion pushed on through the swamp, broke through the line of hostile machine guns at a point near the solitary house located below, the second “e“ in the word “Compiegne,” and stablished a foothold on the slope. According to the testimony given by prisoners later, the French believed it impossible for many forces to advance through the swamp.

At that juncture, the assault shortly met with its first crisis: A large number of well concealed hostile machine guns and riflemen hidden in trees maintained a steady fire on the remainder of the 3d Battalion, as it moved up through the swamp, as well as on the command posts of the Battalion and Regiment located there. It was difficult to set up a Machine gun in the swamp, however, a machine gun was mounted on a pile of reeds and a hostile machine gun nest put out of action at closest range. The only other fire permissible was riffe fire delivered from the standing position.

The number of casualties grew alarmingly under the withering fire of the hostile machine guns. It was obvious that an assault launched simultaneously by all contingents was the only hope of success. Rushing forward, the Regimental commander shouted loudly the orders to attack and had a bugler oft the 3d Battalion sound the “Advance’’call. Like one man, all jumped up, heedless of further losses. More and more men climbed to the top of the slope. Pushing ahead at a slow but steady pace, the troops carried the assault forward, despite flanking machine gun fire coming fromthe direction of Breilly and the west. A light infantry cannon, ferried across the river, went into open position on the road, destroying a hostile machinegun nest with its first round. Prisoners were hauled out of the machine gun nests.

Most of the enemy kept firing to the last and died in place. A seriously wounded hostile machine gunner (probably Alsatian), who could speak a little German said: “You did a good job.”

The advance of the3d Battalion helped the2d Battalion to gain ground, despite flanking fire coming from Picquigny and the Bois de Neuilly, where the regiment on the right had been unable to make any headway.

Elements of the 1st Battalion, which had used the more favorable crossing of the 2d Battalion, reported as regimental reserve to the regimental command post at the single house near the second letter ”e” in “Compiegne.”

Source: The Breakthrough of the German 63d Infantry Across the Somme, 5-6 June 1940

Cheers. Tigre.
tigre
Patron

IR 63 on the Somme 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello to all the story goes on.

It was 7:00 AM, when the 2d and 3d Battahons reached the initial objective, still fired upon by hostile machine guns that were holding out in their well-concealed positions in the dense woods. and suffering from enfilade machine gun fire delivered from the zones of the adjoining regiments which had been unable to gain any ground. The Regiment thereupon consolidated its position by moving up heavy weapons and securing additional artillery support in the newly established bridgehead.

A company of the 1st Battalion was designated to seize Breilly and mop up that locality. Overcoming stubborn resistance, the company carried out its mission. though it was shown later that several hostile machine guns and riflemen hidden in trees had remained in Breilly, determined to keep fighting to the end.

Combat reconnaissance conducted by that company revealed that strong forces of the opponent and numerous machine guns were located in the zone assigned to the regiment.

On the left, that is, in the small woods 500 meters south of Breilly as well as among the group of farm buildings just north of the word “sur” of the name “Ailly-sur-Somme.”

Upon receipt of a report to that effect, the Division Commander directed the Regiment to seize the woods and farm buildings. The execution of the mission fell to the 1st Battalion (less 1st Company) which had arrived meanwhile at a point west of the regimental command post and taken up a position in reserve.

While the 63d Infantry, itself, had gained several kilometers of ground on the far bank of the Somme and taken the most vital part of the high ground, the regiment on the west flank lagged behind at Picquigny: and that on the east flank was still at Ailly-sur-Somme. The 2d Battalion—in front and on the right—had gained the woods some 1,200 meters southwest of Point 74, and the 3d Battalion the clumps of woods south of Point 99.

The fighting up to that time had been difficult and costly. The opponent had offered stubborn resistance, especiall in the woods and along rows of trees, and continued to fight long after the attacking troops had passed the strong points and pushed on beyond them. The plan of the Regiment was to continue the attack as soon as enough heavy weapons had
moved up. That required the 1st Battalion to rejoin the Regiment at the earliest possible moment.

The XXXVIII German AK's attack on Jun 05 1940 http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/karten/ ... uni40a.jpg

Cheers. Tigre.
tigre
Patron

IR 63 on the Somme 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello folks the attack goes on.

At 8:15 AM, new regimental orders were issued for the assumption of a position in readiness and continuation of the attack. Zero hour for the new attack was fixed at 2:30 PM, as directed meanwhile by Division Headquarters.

The regimental orders were worded as follows (extract):

Regimental Orders for the Assumption of a Position of Readiness and Continuation of the attack

( 1) Hostile machine guns are defending Romomt Ferme and St. Christ Ferme; while hostile artillery (estimated at three batteries) is firing from the region of Saisseval mainly on woods near Hill 99.

(2) The Regiment will take up a position in readiness for the continuation of the attack. The width of the regimental combat zone will be narrowed, with the 2d and 3d Battalions occupying the frontline as heretofore:

Right boundary: As at present;
Left boundary: Hill 99—Romomt Ferme (inclusive) — Saissemont (exclusive) —Saisseval
(inclusive) —Seux (exclusive).
Boundary between 2d and 3d Battalions: Long depression east of Hill 74—small woods (400 meters north of Point 74, at Romomt Ferme)—bend in road 600 meters north of Saissemont—letter “e” in “Saisseval’’-Chateau Seux.

(3) The attack will commence as follows:

(a) Independently, if the regiment on the right moves forward from the south edge of the Bois de Neuilly;
[b) Otherwise at my command, In support of the attack, a battalion of light field artillery will be moved up into the depression east of Hill 74, and another battalion of light field artillery into the region just west of Breilly.

(4) One light infantry cannon platoon each will remain with the 2d and 3d Battalions. The remainder of the 13th Company (Regimental Infantry Cannon Company) will support the attack of the two battalions-with emphasis on the 3d Battalion—by destroying the enemy at Romomt Ferme and in the woods southwest of that point. This company will operate so that elements of it will he able to prevent a flank attack from the region of St. Christ Ferme and, in the course of the advance, guard against attacks from the clumps of woods east of Saissemont.

(5) The 14th Company (Regimental Antitank Company) will leave one platoon each with the 2d and 3d Battalions; while the other platoons will cover the outer flanks of the 2d and 3d Battalions against hostile tanks.

(6) The 1st Battalion, in regimental reserve, will remain at my disposal and, the moment the attack goes under way, move into the woods 500 meters north of HiIl 99. The company now located at Breilly will join the Battalion as soon as the head of the adjoining regiment arrives.

(7) The Regimental Trains will cross the bridge at Breilly and move to the single house just south of the last letter “e” of the word “Compeigne.”

( 8 ) The Regimental combat post will he shifted into the woods 500 meters north of Hill 99.

At the beginning of the attack, the 1st Company will be the only available company of the 1st Battalion (regimental reserve).

Cheers. Tigre.
tigre
Patron

IR 63 on the Somme 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello folks, something more about the 63d.

Shortly after the attack went under way (around 3:40 PM), observation from the regimental combat post which had been advanced to the southwest corner of the wood southwest of Hill 99—revealed that, meanwhile, the 2d Battalion had taken advantage of the situation (having encountered but weak enemy in front) and pushed on to the hill east of Fourdrinoy. The neighbor on the right was still lagging behind, near the south edge of the Bois de Neuilly.

In the meantime, the 3d Battalion had been busy mopping up hostile machine guns that had remained in the wood south of Hill 99: reorganized for the attack, it took up the advance now-a little late—with its left flank driving across Romomt Ferme. After overcoming some individual resistance, the Battalion gained the region at and southwest of Romomt Ferme, where it was in line with the 2d Battalion.

The latter had been facing heavy machine gun fire and made but little headway. At 5:45 PM, the enemy, approximate a company strong, gave way before the right flank and with drew to the village of Fourdrinoy, where he resumed his resistance.

The 1st Battalion, having penetrated the woods south of Breilly and rounded up some 50 prisoners, reported that it would be at the disposal of the Regiment in the wood west of Hill 99 at 7:00 PM, upon completion of its mission .

Meanwhile the 2d Battalion continued to hold its new line. It had no contact with its neighbor on the right though the sound of battle was audible in the region of Picquigny and the Bois de Neuilly.
Two companies of the 3d Battalion, in conjunction with the 2d Battalion, likewise had established a defensive line.

Cheers. Hasta pronto. Tigre.
tigre
Patron

IR 63 on the Somme 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello to all, the story goes on.

Hostile artillery was still laying down heavy fire from the area Saissemont—Saisseval—Bovelles. After an attack on this artillery, the 3d Battalion succeeded in pushing on to within about 400 meters of Saissemont. Flanking fire from the east blocked any further progress and compelled the companies to dig in. The 2d Battalion was unable to advance any farther.

In the woods south of Hill 99, hostile machine guns and individual riflemen opened fire again and again. This was due to the fact that the hostile machine gun nests were so cleverly concealed in the dense undergrowth of the woods and offered such stubborn resistance that it was necessary to take them one by one. Meanwhile the 1st Battalion was making its way through the depression south of Hill 74 to the small woods above the letter “y” in “Fourdrinoy” (500 meters northwest of Romomt Ferme), in order to place itself at the disposal of the Regiment. The regimental command post had been moved to a point 300 meters northeast of the crossroads (600 meters west of Hill 99). It was now dark.

Hostile orders found subsequently revealed that the French 13th Division, comprising the 60th and 21st Infantry and the 8th Moroccan Rifles, and four battalions of light and two of heavy field afilllery, in the main had established a line of defense facing the German bridgehead at Amiens.

The enemy also had concentrated his artillery fire on that area. The opponent was weakest in the region south of Picquigny. That was the reason why the 2d Battalion had advanced so rapidly to the high ground southeast of Fourdrinoy, after taking Hill 74 and the small woods 1,500 meters southwest of that point. The 3d Battalion had encountered considerably more difficulties, for it had to break through the defensive positions of parts of two hostile battalions placed one behind the other (2d and 3d Battalions, French 60th Infantry). Nevertheless, exploiting the effect of the air attack, the Battalion by nightfall gained the vicinity of the hostile artillery group at Saissemont.

The 1st Battalion had been engaged in mopping up Breilly and the woods south of that locality and so had been unavailable to the Regiment for some time; on the other hand, its action had served to relieve the right flank of the regiment on the left and made it possible to use the eight-ton bridge erected at Breilly for the purpose of moving up additional units.

Cheers. Hasta pronto. Tigre.