Independent and divisional Jäger Bataillone

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Skarn
Enthusiast

Independent and divisional Jäger Bataillone

Post by Skarn »

Hello Feldgrauians !

I asked this question a few time ago but no one answered. I post it a new time just in case it wouldn't because no one can answer it, but because the ones who can didn't read it :D

Could someone give me the number of Jäger Bataillone raised from the "Jagdkommandos" (units raised to fight against the Soviet partisans in the rear area of the Eastern Front in 1941-1942) in July 1942 ?

I found the following ones, used to form the 1. Skijäger Brigade in September 1943 : Jäger Bataillone 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11.
I found also a "Stossgruppe von Manteuffel" or a "Gruppe von Manteuffel", under command of Oberst Gunther von Manteuffel, formed with Jäger Bataillone 9, 10 and 11, which fought under 258. Infanterie Division, XXXXVI. Panzerkorps, 9. Armee, during "Zitadelle" in July 1943.
But there are very few information about these units, and I need help to know how many of these battalions were raised (at least eleven - Jäger Bataillone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 - I suppose).

Additional question : several regimental battalions became "Jäger" on June 11th 1943. I found that some of them were tradition units for Alten Armee Jäger Bataillone (III.(Jäger)/Grenadier Regiment (motorisiert) 15 of 29. Panzergrenadier Division for kurhessisches Jäger Bataillon 11 ; III.(Jäger)/Grenadier Regiment 17 of 31. Infanterie Division for hannoversches Jäger Bataillon 10).
I could check two more of them : I.(Jäger)/Grenadier Regiment 2 of 11. Infanterie Division and II.(Jäger)/Grenadier Regiment 4 of 32. Infanterie Division. But without being able to trace a tradition link with Alten Armee units. Could someone tell me whether there were such links between these two ones and older units ?
Then, I read something about the "jagerization" of the I./Grenadier Regiment 108 of the 38. Infanterie Division, which potentially became a Jager Bataillon (motorisiert). But it looks like a typo for me : 38. Infanterie Division wasn't a motorized unit, and I found no mention of this (this means nothing, I agree ;)). Could someone confirm this "jagerization" or at least explain it ?

Thanks for any help provided,
Very best regards,

Loïc
"On ne relève pas Picardie !" (Picardie Regiment is not relieved !)
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Could someone give me the number of Jäger Bataillone raised from the "Jagdkommandos" (units raised to fight against the Soviet partisans in the rear area of the Eastern Front in 1941-1942) in July 1942 ?
Tessin Band I/p.114 says Jagd-Kommando 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12 formed winter 1941/42 initially with 3 and later 4 companies. These were disbanded in summer 1942 and replaced with 14 Jäger-Bataillone each with 4 companies. Shortly after this a 5. Panzerjäger-Kp. was added to each Jäger-Btl. That's all he says. Presumably, the Jäger-Btle. were numbered 1 - 14.

--Lorenz
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

Excellent Lorenz,

It looks pretty good like what I was looking for ;)
Eleven Jagdkommandos numbered 1 to 9, 11 and 12 with three and later four companies raised during Winter 1941-1942, which became fourteen Jäger Bataillone numbered 1 to 14, with four and later five companies (including an antitank one).

Great !

Thanks a lot for your help,
Very best regards,

Loïc

PS : seems weird that there was no Jagdkommando 10, doesn't it ?
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

PS : seems weird that there was no Jagdkommando 10, doesn't it ?
To us, yes, but to the Organisationsabteilung/OKH, no. They very often skipped numbers when assigning them to a series of units. For proof, look at the numbers assigned to divisions 1 through 700+. There are many open or unused numbers.

--Lorenz
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

You're right, even if the German divisional numbering system was more logical than it seems at first glance.

Anyway, your source is very good, so I have no reason to discuss it ;)

Thanks again for your help,
Best regards,

Loïc
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Please excuse my interrupting.

The Jäger-Bataillonen were conceived as anti-partisan units to combat the ever increasing and ever stronger groupings of well-organized and equipped partisan bands behind the German lines. These special mobile light infantry units had originally been designated as Jagd-Kommandos (i.e. Hunter Commandos). Equipped with RSO's, the Jäger battalions could quickly move to trouble spots. Besides the RSO's, the Jäger battalions also had sleds and skis included in their organizational tables for winter mobility.

The 1. – 10. Jäger Battalions were raised in July 1942, the 11. and 12. in October 1942, and the 13. in August 1942. The 12. Jäger-Bataillon was never used in the field, and was converted to the 2nd Jäger Replacement Battalion of the 1st Jäger Replacement Regiment in Ayrs. Except for the 7. and 8. Jäger-Bataillonen, all the motorized light infantry battalions had a (5th) motorized light antitank company permanently assigned. During 1942 – 1943, they were heavily engaged in the Priepet Marshes, central Russia. [Was a 14th battalion really raised in 1943? Tessin indicates that this was in the Fall of 1943? Seems very late. The other battalions, having been raised in 1942, were being used to form the 1. Ski-Brigade by this time.]

The Jäger battalions were also occasionally used a regular combat units, such as in the Battle of Kursk, where the 9th, 10th, and 11th Battalions were gathered under the Headquarters, 19. Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade, (known as the “Gruppe von Manteufel”), assigned to the XXXXVI. Panzerkorps, and the 8th and 13th Battalions fought under the Headquarters, 18. Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade which was assigned to the XXIII. Armeekorps.

Sources:
Tessin - "Verbände und Truppen ..."
Klink - "Gesetz des Handelns"

Cheers
Leo

Edited for clumsy finger spelling.
Last edited by Leo Niehorster on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

Excellent Leo. Nothing to ask about these battalions, this time ;)

I take advantage of your presence in this thread to ask if you have something about the tradition links of two regimental battalions which were "jägerized" on June 11th 1943 (I./Gren. Rgt. 2 and II./Gren. Rgt. 4). And also if you know why the I./Gren. Rgt. 108 was "jägerized" too.

Thanks for your help concerning the Jäger Bataillone.
Best regards,

Loïc
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Hmm, sometimes it is better to just lurk.
:wink:

The order changing the designation to Grenadier in 1942 applied to ALL units, so that even ones who originally held a tradition, now had to make a request to renew their old designation. Mind you, the tradition was still carried by the unit, it just did not have a specific Jäger designation to indicate that it did.

The I./Inf.Rgt. 2, raised on 1.01.1921 in Ortelsburg, carried the tradition of the Ortelsburger Jäger-Bataillon Gaf Yorck von Wartenburg Nr. 1. On 11.06.1943, the I. Battalion was once again authorized to carry the designation of "Jäger" instead of "Grenadier".

The II./Inf.Rgt. 4, raised on 1.01.1921 in Treptow (WK II) carried the tradition of the Pommerischer Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 2. On 11.06.1943, the II. Battalion was once again authorized to carry the designation of "Jäger" instead of "Grenadier".

The III./Inf.Rgt. 15 (mot), raised 1.01.1921 at Preussisch-Hessen in Thüringen, carried the tradition of Marburger Jäger Bataillon (kurhessisches 11). Authorized on 11.06.1943 to carry the designation III.(Jäger)/Grenadier Regiment (motorisiert) 15. Redesignated as Pz.Gren.Rgt. on 01.12.1944.

The III./Inf.Rgt. 17, raised on 1.01.21 in Preussisch-Braunschweig, carried the tradition of Hannovrisch Jäger Bataillon 10 (Goslar). Authorized on 11.06.1943 to carry the designation III.(Jäger)/Grenadier Regiment. The regiment was destroyed in June 1944. A new regiment was raised from the Gren.Rgt. 1111. On on 03.08.44, once again, the tradition for the new III. Battalion to carry on the tradition and use the Jäger nomenclature was authorized.

The Schützen-Regiment 108 raised 15.08.40 in Königsbrück (WK IV) from Inf.Rgt. 10. It was a Schnelle Truppen unit, and the entire unit carried carried the tradition of the Königlich Sächisische Schützen-Regiment "Prinz Georg" Nr. 108. The regiment was destroyed in Stalingrad. Raised again in March 1943. On 11.06., [Tessin omits the year, but probably 1943], the tradition was authorized to be carried by the I.(Jäger)/Pz.Gren.Rgt. 108.

All data found in Tessin.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

Wonderful. A huge thank, Leo, it has been a couple of weeks since I worked on this without being able to find an explanation for the I./Gren. Rgt. 108. Now you told me that it was the I./Pz. Gren. Rgt. 108, it makes more sense ;)

Thanks again for your help and all your work here.
Truly yours,

Loïc

PS : you're right, lurking is great when you have answers. But it is somewhat frustrating when you have only questions :D
hero.
Supporter

Re: Independent and divisional Jäger Bataillone

Post by hero. »

Hello !

Leo raised an interesting question here :
[Was a 14th battalion really raised in 1943? Tessin indicates that this was in the Fall of 1943? Seems very late. The other battalions, having been raised in 1942, were being used to form the 1. Ski-Brigade by this time.]
While searching the KTB of 2. Pz.AOK for Gruppe Jolasse, I found an entry, referring to a Kdo.-Einheit Hutzel,
( probably raised before January 1943), and on June, 14th, 1943, finally etatisiert as Jäger-Battalion 14.
[(see scan, NARA T313 R153 F7406827)]

So, it seems Leo's suspicion was correct and its formation would indeed have been much earlier,
but it made it into the records only in summer / autumn 1943 ?!

Maybe someone has some infos on a Gruppe Hutzel (or Jagdverband Huzel, Tessin Vo. 17., p. 108) 8) ?
Perhaps as part of (Stoss-) Gruppe Källner ?

Best regards,

hero.
Attachments
Jaeger_Btl_14_origin_04.jpg
Jaeger_Btl_14_origin_04.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
Jagdverband_Huzel_02.jpg
Jagdverband_Huzel_02.jpg (7.78 KiB) Viewed 5958 times