Die 11. Panzer-Division 'Gespenster-Division'

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Erik k.
Supporter

Die 11. Panzer-Division 'Gespenster-Division'

Post by Erik k. »

Hello,

Who of you guys owns the book: Die 11. Panzer-Division 'Gespenster-Division' 1940-1945 ?

please let me know!

regards

Erik K.
"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."
uli M

Book 11.Panzerdivision

Post by uli M »

I have the book. Feel free to ask for more.

Uli Mössner
Erik k.
Supporter

Post by Erik k. »

Hello Uli,

Thanks for your reaction. Here is my question.

For a while now i am working on my website about the Eastfront battle of Army group Middle around the town of Rzhew.

To understand more about the battle itself i am looking for more information about all the divisions that where fighting there.
I found out that the 11. panzer division was serving near Wjasma and Gshatsk, south of Rzhew. and were there from januari untill june 1942.
That is all the info i have got about it, but i have understand that the 11.pzd dit made a large contributen during the winter and spring of 1942 to hold of the Russians.

But unfortunatly on internet i can not find any (detailed) info about the things that happend to the 11. panzer divisionon during there stay.
Beacuse of this i want to ask you if ther are any detailed discripions of what the Division has done and where they have been in the book, and if it is posible that i can get a copy of this periode of the history?

If the book does not have the info, do you have some other books about the 11Pzd covering this periode?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Erik K.
"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."
Gebirgsjaeger
Enthusiast

Post by Gebirgsjaeger »

Wasn´t the 7. PzDiv the "GespensterDiv"?????
Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen ließ wollte keine Knechte!
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Gebirgsjaeger wrote:Wasn´t the 7. PzDiv the "GespensterDiv"?????
This confusion comes because the allies in France 1940 called the 7.Panzerdivision like that because it showed up on places they weren´t expected like ghosts.
The 11.Pz.Div. was called that way because of the "ghost" emblem which was developed by a member who transferred to the divison after forming.

\Christoph
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

The 11. PD was formed from the 11. Schützenbrigade, which earned the nickname "Phantom Brigade" by the British during the Battle of France in 1940 due to its daring raids. Phantom = Gespenst; Ghost = Geist. Thus the 7th PD was the "Geister-Division" and the later 11. PD the "Gespenster-Division" from the earlier "Gespenster-Brigade". The members of the Brigade took on this name and called themselves Phantoms = Gespenster. So the unit symbol for the later 11. PD had its origin within 11. Schützen-Brigade, besides, the 11. PD carried the circle with the vertical line, aka "Kaffeebohne" or "coffee bean".

Cheers
Hans