1. Infanterie Division help?

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Prit, thank you for yet another great translation!

If I may speak in behalf if the people; then yes...we are interested! :D

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Prit
Contributor

Post by Prit »

Ah, well, since you ask so nicely..... :wink:

Here's the rest of the breakout.
The Russian front was torn open by this courageous attack by 1 Inf.Div. and 5 Pz.Div, which was standing ready, thrust further forward under the outstanding leadership of Oberst Herzog in an inexorable attack between the Kobbelbuder forest and the railway line to Pillau. The success was so great that 5 Pz.Div's spearheads reached Seerappen in the evening hours, already a penetration of some 10km in the enemy front. But however great the success of the two courageous divisions was, the wedge driven into the enemy gront was comparatively small. The panzer division had gradually deployed all its forces and had to guard against powerful enemy counter-atacks against its flanks. The greatest danger was that the Kobbelbuder forest was still full of Russian troops, who could break through the extended left flank of 5 Pz.Div. with a powerful thrust. Everything now depended on how to proceed to a resolution, with a further attack by the still to be deployed 561 VG.Div. through the Kobbelbuder Forest to widen the hole that had been made in the front, or to replace 5 Pz.Div. in its positions with 561 VG.Div. and thus free the panzer division for a fresh attack towards the Samland front. The latter option was undoubtedly bolder, but also carried a great risk, if the Russians were to carry out a counter-attack towards Metgethen with their powerful forces in the Kobbelbuder forest, through the extended left flank of the attacking wedge. During discussion of these fateful options with my chief of staff and the 1a of 5 Pz.Div, I received unexpected help in the shape of my 1c. He reported that he had just intercepted a Russian radio message, in which the Russian commanding general advised one of his division commanders in the Kobbelbuder forest to move his HQ as soon as possible to Kondehnen. If this radio order wasn't a deliberate deception, one had to conclude that the Russians were pulling back their front in the Kobbelbuder forest in view of the dangers of the general situation. Our immediate decision that during the night, 561 VG.Div. would replace 5 Pz.Div, and that the panzer division would make a new attack the next day, was successfully executed. Despite powerful enemy interventions, 561 VG.Div, through the excellent mobile leadership of its commander, General Gorn, was able smoothly to replace 5 Pz.Div. in the line. After resupply, 5 Pz.Div. attacked in the early hours of the morning of 20 Feb in a remorseless thrust, and during the course of the day established contact with the Samland forces. At the same time, units of Division Mikosch and 1 Inf.Div. succeeded in clearing the remaining Russian troops from the Kobbelbuder forest and establishing contact themselves with the Samland forces.

The attack on Metgethen was the last great feat of arms on East Prussian soil. It bore witness to the unbroken fighting spirit of the Königsberg garrison. Troops and their commanders were aware of the importance of re-establishing contact with the port of Pillau and gave their best efforts. The young soldiers from Königsberg displayed particular spirit, and when a comrade compared them with the heroes of Langemarck, he was not exaggerating.
...and that's about it. There follows a piece about redeployments following the link-up with the Samland forces, together with an account of the atrocities found in Metgethen by the German forces.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Prit
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

excellent info!

regards eric
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Prit, I owe you big time! Thank you very much.

Does anyone else have any reference to the 1. Infanterie Division which he can perhaps share with me & all the other members?

best regards,
Miha / Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
donwhite
Contributor

1.ID

Post by donwhite »

The 'Axis History Forum' has a 'lets build 1st ID' thread on it with many useful titbits of data.

Cheers
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

And as you probably realised it is there because of my interest in this unit... :wink:

Anything new? C'mon guys..somebody has to know more about it. Anything about the French campaign, the siege of Leningrad & the fighting in the Dnieper would really be helpfull!

best regards,
Nibelung
donwhite
Contributor

Glasses?

Post by donwhite »

Apologies Nibelung, prehaps I should read the threads a bit more closely or get some glasses.

Cheers
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

Hi Nibelung

depends on what you are looking for. I haven't got any batallion level accounts of the 1st Inf Div. But I am sure somewhere I have got some accounts of battles where 1st Inf Div was involved in and where it's regiments are mentioned. If that's good enough I'll have a look.
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Eric, I would be most gratefull for whatever you can provide, regardless of detail.

best,
Nibelung
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

I'll see if I can find something. Just began spitting through Heeresegruppe Nord by Werner Haupt. But there isn;t that much in it. What look's promising is that there is mention of the 1st Inf Div fighting in the area of the 1st Pz Div. Maybe I can find somehting in the Div History of that unit.

It's going to take some time.
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Eric, I am very greteful, take all the time you need!

best,
Nibelung
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Just remembered this thread, Ericv, did you find anything yet? :D

best,
Nibelung
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

1st ID was the last unit to defend Pillau in 1945 !

Jan-Hendrik
Schaefer76

Re: 1. Infanterie Division help?

Post by Schaefer76 »

Hello

Lets revive this ancient thread.
finaly at least the basis of the website is online. Its still only very rudimentary and lots of information and material will follow in the weeks to come. So far it contains a partial (to be finished) war history of my grandfather. Other family members will follow soon.

Also in there is a bunch of period and post war documents on the 1. ID and IR22. At the moment am scanning and transcribing parts of 1st IDs Kriegstagebücher which will follow soon.

On 1. Infanterie-Div and IR22 I am working together with another grandchild and a son of a former IR22 (FR22) soldier. So I am hoping we will be able to collect and share as much as we can on this "elite" regiment.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes to all of you

Rob
Germany
http://www.kriegspfade.de
tigre
Patron

Re: 1. Infanterie Division help?

Post by tigre »

Hello Rob :D;
Let me know what you think.
Interesting indeed; good luck and carry on :up:. Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.