Troop OOB and Locations France 1944

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

scout1

Post by scout1 »

Hi,

I'm looking for a source for the german troop locations in France and the Low Countries in the May/June 1944 timeframe. I've found OOB but nothing that indicates location.
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Sorry this is all I have at the moment...it's hard without a scanner.

http://www.military.com/Resources/Resou ... _map53.htm

hope it helps anyway...

best regards,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

I am not at home at the moment but this is what I have online at the moment. I will can scan maps for other locations later. Please feel free to remind me by PM if I forget.

\Christoph
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Which date does the last map show Christoph? The units are really massed together...

best regards,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Christoph Awender wrote:Hello

I am not at home at the moment but this is what I have online at the moment. I will can scan maps for other locations later. Please feel free to remind me by PM if I forget.

\Christoph
excellent information for the 7th army disposition. Hopefully the source is as detailed for the other armies. Thanks alot.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

I do know the OOB of Normandy on D-Day sort of, if you need it as well, here goes
Reserve, 7.Armee, 85.Infantry and i think 262.Infantry 85th was around Falaise/Mortain, 262 arround St-Malo, and then there were supporting independent, support,supply,and artillery scattered from the Cotentin Peninsula all the way to Caen.
the II Fallschirmjäger Korps, i think the II, III Fallschirmjäger divisions took part, the II Fallschirmjägers reaching the Omaha beach section nearby Trèvières, and the III Fallschirmjäger's arriving as support when the breakout from Normandy began. There were multiple divisions i cant remember which were not Fallschirmjägers, but there was the
XII Fallschirmjäger-Maschinengewehr Abteilung in the Very South around La Ferte Mace, and the XII Fallschirmjäger-Sturmgeschützabteilung nearby as well, and the XII Fallschirmjäger Leichte Aufklarungs-Einheitabteilung near the XII Fallschirmjäger-Sturmgeschützabteilung. In the LXXIV Korps which arrived later i think that had the 2 Regiments of the VI Fallschirmjäger division (i think) which arrived (approx.) during the Battle at Argentan, Mortain, and Falaise. There were the 16./17./18. Luftwaffe Field Divisions and the 91.Air Landing , the 91.Division was near the swamped flooded carentan area, while the 16,17,18 LW divisions arrived from the East, the XII.SS Panzer (Hitler Jugend) arrived on 7.June 1944 East of Caen in (i think) the ISS Panzerkorps and the III FlaK Korps arrived soon after, the 352.Inf of the LXXXIV Korps was near omaha, the 726.Infantry (LXXXIV Korps) was at Omaha/UK Beach as well. the XXI Panzer was the unit of the LXXXIV Korps which was in Caen and was the only unit capable of pushing the allies across the channel, or eliminating the UK/CAN 6th Airborne. LAH Arrived about 18 days after D-Day, around the time Das Reich Arrived and the 17.SS Panzer-Grenadier (Götz von Berlichnigen GvB) arrived about 11.June 1944 and around then the 353.Inf of the LXXXVI Korps arrived, the 85.Infantry division of i think the LVIII Panzerkorps arrived around July period and the Panzer Lehr, arrived as a reserve and came as an Alert Division in case any bad happened at carentan, while the 2.Panzer arrived about 10.June 1944 went to defend Villers-Bocage (these 2 divisions i think were part of the XLVII Panzerkorps, same for 17.SS GvB Division) 9.SS Panzer (Hohenstaufen) arrived about 26.June and 10.SS Panzer (Frundsberg) a day after, these were part (i think) of the IISS Panzerkorps
the Units in may in Normandy were the
91.Air Landing
352.Infantry
I/II Kriegsmarine Abteilungen (i think), the 726.Infanterie, the XXI Panzer and i assume supporting elements were around to help on the Defence line Strongpoints and for the possible "Zweite Stellung" as rundstedt said.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Guys,

Thanks for the sources/information thus far. Alot of good info, particularly for the 7th Armee (Normandy sector). Anyone have similar information for

15th armee (Calais / Low Countries)
3rd armee (Central France)
1st armee (Bordeaux area)
19th armee (Med coastline area)

I;m trying to hunt down (at a minimum) the divisional locations, but would prefer whatever info I can get at the brigade or regimental level (though mostly for the 7th armee (which has been posted) and the 15th armee.

Also, has anyone got a source for the rail system and major road network for France/Low countries during this timeperiod.

Thanks in advance. Great site !
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

There was no 3. Armee in central France. 3. Armee, created during the Mobilmachung late August 1939, was transformed in 16. Armee in October 1939.

The command level was the following on June 6th 1944 :

- Armeegruppe G :
--- 19. Armee (Südwall, French Rivieira).
--- 1. Armee (Atlantikwall and French-Spanish borders).

- Heeresgruppe B :
--- 7. Armee (Atlantikwall from Loire to Somme estuaries).
--- 15. Armee (Atlantikwall along the Channel Coast in Northern France and in Belgium).

Loïc
"On ne relève pas Picardie !" (Picardie Regiment is not relieved !)
Rich
Associate

Re: Troop OOB and Locations France 1944

Post by Rich »

scout1 wrote:Guys,

Thanks for the sources/information thus far. Alot of good info, particularly for the 7th Armee (Normandy sector). Anyone have similar information for

15th armee (Calais / Low Countries)
3rd armee (Central France)
1st armee (Bordeaux area)
19th armee (Med coastline area)
Scout, I have about a 90+ page OB for Ob.West circa 6 June 1944. It is essentially complete for 7. AOK and the units that were later transferred to it and has at least the general organization and location for all other units in France. I can email it to you if you like. Just send me a PM or email me directly at [email protected]

Rich