Ost-Bataillon 441

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Skarn
Enthusiast

Ost-Bataillon 441

Post by Skarn »

Hello Feldgrauians !

Just a short question, this time ;-)
Could someone tell me when the Ost-Bataillon 441 came under 716. Infanterie Division command in the West ?

I found that the Ost-Bataillone 439 and 642 were subordinated to this division's Grenadier Regimenter 726 and 736 as fourth infantry battalions on April 13th 1944, but nothing about the 441 which apparently was under direct division command.

Anyone ? ;-)

Thanks by advance,
Best regards,

Loïc
"On ne relève pas Picardie !" (Picardie Regiment is not relieved !)
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Ost-Bataillon 441 transferred from the AOK 9 sector in Russia to AOK 7 in France on 19.01.44 as Heerestruppen. The implication is that it remained directly under AOK 7 until at least 6 June. Sometime after that it apparently was sent forward to the Caen area and may have been attached to 716. Inf.Div. But it was not an organic component of 716. ID as far as I can tell from the small amount of information in Tessin (Bd. X, page 180) and Thorwald (page 220-25).
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

Hello Lorenz,

Thanks for your post.
It gave me some precious information.

I found this when I looked in my messy hard disk about WWII (an old post concerning 7. Armee on June 6th 1944) :

"716.Inf.Div. (1 May, 7,771, including HiWi?) – Caen
Kdr: Generalleutnant Richter
Ia: Major i.G. Bachus
Ib: Major Wolf
Ic: Major d.R. Wiegmann
IIa: Major Heintzel
Stab/Gren.Regt.726 – Sully (map 5 June)
Stab I. – Maissons
1.Kp. – Port en Bessin
2.Kp. – St. Honorine des Pertes
3.Kp. – Colleville sur Mer
II. – St. Croix sur Mer (14 May)
Stab III. – chateau de Jucoville
9.Kp. – Chateau Englesqueville
10.Kp. – St. Laurent sur Mer
11.Kp. – Vierville
12.Kp. – Grandcamp
Ost-Btl.439 (IV./Gren.Regt.726) – les Veys
Ost-Btl.642 (IV./Gren.Regt.736) – Amfreville (29 May)
1.Kp. – Franceville
3.Kp. – Hermanville
4.Kp. – Bavent
2.Kp. – disbanded due to lack of strength (30 May)
Art.Regt.1716 –
1., 2., and 3.Bttr. – appear to have manned battery Merville, Ouistreham and Mare
Fontaine?
4.Bttr. – Colleville-Montgomery(?)
Stab II. – la Cambe
10.Bttr. – Pt. Du Hoc?
s.Art.Abt.989 (t-mot) (est. 400)
H.K.A.Abt.1260
1.Bttr. – St. Aubin (Riva Bella Battery) (13 May)
2.Bttr. – 1 kilometer northwest of Criqueville (Houlgate Battery)
3.Bttr. – Asnelles (Ver sur Mer Battery) (referenced in report of bombing on 13 May)
Ost-Btl.441 – (29 May)
Stab – Crépon (northeast of Bayeux)
1.Kp. – Vaux (north of Bayeux)
2.Kp. – Reviers (northwest of Bayeux)
3.Kp. – Meuvaines (northeast of Bayeux)
4.Kp. – Ver sur Mere (northeast of Bayeux)
"

Are you sure that it wasn't under 716. Infanterie Division control before June 6th 1944 ?
There is an indication concerning a possible subordination on May 29th 1944, apparently...

Truly yours,

Loïc
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Skarn wrote:I found this when I looked in my messy hard disk about WWII (an old post concerning 7. Armee on June 6th 1944) :
Ost-Btl.441 – (29 May)
4.Kp. – Ver sur Mere (northeast of Bayeux)
"

Are you sure that it wasn't under 716. Infanterie Division control before June 6th 1944 ?
There is an indication concerning a possible subordination on May 29th 1944, apparently...

Truly yours,

Loïc
Well, since I originally posted the information, maybe I should answer. :D On 29 May Ost 441 appears in the daily report of activities of 7.-Armee as subordinated to 716. ID with the locations as given. There may be earlier mentions of it, but I was interested in its last location and subordination before 6 June.

Hope that helps.

Rich
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Skarn wrote:
Ost-Btl.441 – (29 May)
4.Kp. – Ver sur Mere (northeast of Bayeux)"

I know nothing with certainty, but I suspect that it may have been attached to 716. Inf.Div. for tactical purposes (Einsatz-) but remained subordinate to AOK 7 for administrative and disciplinary purposes since it was classified as Heerestruppen.

--Lorenz
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

Thanks Rich,

I didn't remember who was the eminent Feldgrauian who posted this message about 7. Armee. So thank you for your post and now your additional information about Ost-Bataillon 441 ;-)

Lorenz,

Probably I didn't express clearly what I needed.
Actually, I didn't know whether this battalion was under 716. Infanterie Division command as organic unit or if it was only a temporarly subordinate unit from the 7. Armee Heerestruppen.
But when this battalion came under the division command ?

Sorry if I was ununderstandable...

All the best and thanks again for your interest about my question,

Loïc
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Lorenz wrote:I know nothing with certainty, but I suspect that it may have been attached to 716. Inf.Div. for tactical purposes (Einsatz-) but remained subordinate to AOK 7 for administrative and disciplinary purposes since it was classified as Heerestruppen.
Sorry, I was not being precise. Yes, they were zugeteilt or einsatzfaehig - that is attached for tactical purposes - and not eingliedert - assigned for organizational purposes.