Tschertkowo 1942/43

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

DKiG: 03.03. 1942 as Major z.V. and Kdr. II./S.R.8.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Michi wrote:22. Dezember 1942:
Der I./SS-PolInfRgt 1 werden unterstellt:
BeoBttr. 16 ...... Hptm Bätz
MarschVbd 179 .... ???? Gützka
sPzJgKp 518 ....... Olt Wilde
sPzJgKp 611 ....... Olt Pohl
5 Sfl 7,5cm

23. Dezember 1942:
Es scheiden aus:
BeoBttr 16
MarschVbd 179

Es verbeiben bei I./SS-PolInfRgt 1:
von sPzJgKp 518 1 Pak
von sPzJgKp 611 50 Mann
vom ArtRgt 111 10 Mann
von 1./NaAbt 429(?) 3/9/80 Mann
Aufgabe: Verteidigung von Metschesche/Metsheshe.

MfG Michi
Great!!!
Is this from the Brigade Schuldt's KTB?

Marko
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Am vierten Tag (22. Dezember 1942) stießen größere Teile vom Heer zu uns.
Etwa 2000 Mann mit 6 Panzern unter einem Obert Göller, der dann kurzfristig das Kommando übernahm.

Kampfgruppe Göller
CO: Obst Dr. Göller, W.

Hptm Kellermann
Hptm Stroh
Olt Eldagsen
OZm Giering

Kdr.Kps Nachschzb 429 ... (04152) ... Hptm von Zehender
5.[Pz]/FBB ... (42918) ... Olt Kegel
I./Rgt 538 ... (4123 A) ... Hptm Jeters
II./Rgt 538 ... (41598 A) ... Hptm Lewandowski
III./Rgt 538 (nur Troß) ... (41973 B) ... Lt Peters
4./SS-PolInfRgt 1 ... (12658 E) ... Hstuf Schwarting
1./SS-PolInfRgt 1 ...(12658 B) ... Ostuf Tigge
Schnee-RäumKp 208 ... (42142) ... Hptm d.R. z.V. Erland
Fest(?).Bau-Btl 30 ... (23000) ... Maj Ulmer
4.[s]/FBB ... (37280) ... Lt Grohwohl
sPzJgKp 517 ... (05394) ... Olt Gramschiefer
Kps VersStp ... (06405) ... Hptm Uhlig
MunVerw ... (31333) ... OWachtm R????
Bttr Krause ... (?????) ... Hstuf Krause
I./PzGrenRgt 63 ... (05805 A) ... Lt Busch
4. Kpo ... Centraris ... (PM 139) ... ???? Liethie, Antonio
Trp SMG ... (Zen Chamillo)??? ... Marnari, Virginio

Oberst Göller wurde noch vor Neujahr ausgeflogen.
Die Führung hatte dann ein Oberst Mempel.

Hope this helps!

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Michi wrote:
22. Dezember 1942:
Der I./SS-PolInfRgt 1 werden unterstellt:
BeoBttr. 16 ...... Hptm Bätz
MarschVbd 179 .... ???? Gützka
sPzJgKp 518 ....... Olt Wilde
sPzJgKp 611 ....... Olt Pohl
5 Sfl 7,5cm

23. Dezember 1942:
Es scheiden aus:
BeoBttr 16
MarschVbd 179

Es verbeiben bei I./SS-PolInfRgt 1:
von sPzJgKp 518 1 Pak
von sPzJgKp 611 50 Mann
vom ArtRgt 111 10 Mann
von 1./NaAbt 429(?) 3/9/80 Mann
Aufgabe: Verteidigung von Metschesche/Metsheshe.

MfG Michi
Great!!!
Is this from the Brigade Schuldt's KTB?

Marko
No, from the KTB of the I./SS-PolInfRgt 1.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

The huge problem is the I./SS-PolInfRgt 1.

The farewell from their training location in Debica was on 5th December 1942.

Because of some transport problems the I./SS-PolInfRgt 1 was divided into 2 columns.

1. Col:
Stubaf Dietrich
Masse Stb/SS-PolInfRgt 1
2./SS-PolInfRgt 1
3./SS-PolInfRgt 1
(geringste Teile von 1./ & 4./SS-PolInfRgt 1)

2. Col:
Ustuf Hollman
Rest Stb/SS-PolInfRgt 1
1./SS-PolInfRgt 1 (Ostuf Tigge, Ustuf Diese, Ustuf Kreher)
4./SS-PolInfRgt 1 (Hstuf Schwarting, Ustuf Rathge, Ustuf Papenbrock)
Gesamtstärke: etwa 420 Mann.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Thanks again, Michi.

KG Schuldt is one of my favorite formations. It' really interesting, how the group managed to break through to Armee Abteilung Hollidt. After a bad start (like you mentioned - Battalion Dietrich) the things got even worse when the group was once more split in two (Gruppe Dahl - half of VII./LSSAH) before finally reaching Skassyrskaja. What followed was the confusion resulting from the creation of another KG Schuldt (and the renaming of the old in KG Dietrich) and after a month of heavy battles the final reunification of both groups in February 43. Really fascinating. Husemann and Lehmann did an outstanding job in presenting a detailed history of this obscure formation.
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Michi & Marko,

sorry for being a little late with responding, but I'm having a busy week.
Marko wrote:Abel, how's the translation going on. I'm more or less finished.
I'm still working on it. I'm having a hard time, because my German is largely passive at the moment. But, I'm already more than halfway through it, so give me a few more days, please.

@ Michi:

thanks for the input! It's on as high level as usually.

MarschVbd 179

Could this be in connection with the 79. Inf Div? The divisional staff was flown out of Stalingrad, and several ad-hoc sub-units of it were formed, mostly bearing #179 - Inf Reg 179, Pi Kp (1)79 etc.
Could You please break these abbreviations? I'm not qualified to do so...
What do You mean by a huge problem? To me, most of the stuff about this battalion seems as clear as it gets in this theatre of ops.

Best,

Abel
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Hello Ábel,

Could You please break these abbreviations? I'm not qualified to do so...
The numbers are field-post numbers.
PM is maybe the Italian abbreviation?? (I do know only PdC (~posto de campo).
(Zen Chamillo)
I copied it from my source.

What do You mean by a huge problem? To me, most of the stuff about this battalion seems as clear as it gets in this theatre of ops.
The huge problem on the I./SS-PolInfRgt 1 is that many sources/books don't notice that there were 2 columns of the I./SS-PolInfRgt 1 fighting in a distance of each other at least 25 mls / 40 km, some times 100 and more miles! So many sources/books tell us of a single I./SS-PolInfRgt 1 fighting in difference areas on the same date.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

I have just this to add:
Husemann (Die guten Glaubens waren. Bd. II) managed to decipher this in Korps-Vers.Stützpunkt. So maybe a Korps Versorgungsstützpunkt?
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Marko;
After a bad start (like you mentioned - Battalion Dietrich) the things got even worse when the group was once more split in two (Gruppe Dahl - half of VII./LSSAH) before finally reaching Skassyrskaja.
I 've never heard this.
I know Dahl as a SS-Ostuf & member of the 4. SS-Pol-Div, and not of the LSSAH!

Do you have other informations??
Can you share them??

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hallo Michi,

Not much, but hope it helps.

In the early hours of 21 December, as Brigade Schuldt moved out of Meshkov, its rearguards (VII./LSSAH) were surprised by Russian tanks and split in two groups. Thus KG Dahl (also known as Stoßgruppe Dahl) emerged (the remaining elements, including Btl.Stab, remained under Brigade Schudt). The group was composed from the 1., most of the 2. and elements of 4. company/LSSAH plus some elements of I./SS-Pol.Sch.Rgt.1. It was commanded by SS-Ostuf. Dahl, according to Lehmann, Weidinger he was an ex-Polizei Division officer, though this is not confirmed (previously served with Das Reich and was KIA as a member of this division in summer 1943). The KG made its way to Millerowo (Gruppe Kreysing) and now organized in two companies it was used as a counterattack reserve. It seems the KG or parts of it (subordinated to KG Kallien - 1 SS company, 2 panzers, 1 stug and 1 heavy pak; Rueff: Odysee einer Gebirgsdivision) took part in the unsuccessful attempt to link up with 304.Inf.Div on 1 January. In January the Armee Abteilung Fretter Pico ordered Gruppe Kreysing to release KG Dahl, but situation in Millerowo prevented this. On 15 January Gruppe Kreysing successfully broke out from Millerowo to Woroshilowgrad, KG Dahl was deployed as rearguard and managed to defeat several Russian counterattacks. KG Dahl remained with 3.Geb.Div. until 23 January when it was finally transferred to the Gruppe Schuldt.

Marko
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi all,

nice account of Schuldt's gauntlet, Marko!

This is the first time I see a KG Kallien mentioned. Could You please give us some feedback on this unit if You can?

Does anyone have info on "Schnee-RäumKp 208"? TO&E, etc. I have also heard of a "Schnee-RäumKp 211", deployed in Norway.

These units seem just as or even more obscure as the 500-series PzJg companies.

Abel
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Thanks for your support, Abel :D !
Abel Ravasz wrote:
This is the first time I see a KG Kallien mentioned. Could You please give us some feedback on this unit if You can?
This was just another ad-hoc group made up from elements of different formations trapped in Millerowo under Hptm. Hans-Albert Kallien's command (DKiG: 5.4.1943 as Hptm. in III./Geb.Jg.Rgt.144). So there's basically little or no record of its composition or actions. The panzers were aparently from a repair workshop stationed at Millerowo so they could have belonged to any of the many panzer divisions which passed through Millerowo in 1942. The number of panzers eventually rose to a company strenght.
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Marko,

I forgot to say thank You for this response about KG Kallien, thanks.

I've just recieved a gem regarding conditions at the 298. Inf Div column.
Lupo Solitario wrote:In the North Group [Blocco Nord], forces lost soon contact with XXXV Corps Command and had to self -organize. First of all, germans and italians reciprocately refused to obey each other. The point was that there were three italian generals and none german but command of 298th division refused to obey to italians, while italian generals refused to obey to officers of lower rank.
At last, situation was forced cause germans had the only radio still working and so italians had to call to germans what to do. However, it was always an uneasy coworking.
Thanks to Lupo Solitario for this one.

Abel
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

-Breaking news-

I have just recieved some scans from Kurowski's Sturmgeschütze Vor! from the grand David C. Clarke about the involvement of KG Maempel and StuG Abt 201 at Tschertkowo. While You're reading this, say a thank You to David who is a great support to this research. Thanks DCC!!!
The Hungarian 2nd Army and the Italian 8th Army adjoined the sector of the 2. Armee in the employment area of Woronesh to the south along the Don river.

More than once, the commander of Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 201, Major Heinz Huffmann, had to answer a cry for help from these armies and take his Sturmgeschütze into the threatened areas. [...]

On 4 November the battalion was attached to the 27. Panzer-Division along with Panzer-Verband 700 (Panzer-Späh-Kompanie 700). The commander reported to the commander of the 27. Panzer-Division on 15 November, but by 23 November the battalion had already been detached from that division. It was to be rail loaded, but nobody knew where it was going. A few rumours mentioned Africa. However, when the battalion was loaded onto the trains, it moved south where, on 19 November, the two great pincer movements of the Russian attack on Stalingrad had begun and had quickly gained ground.

Millerowo was reached after an uninterupted 48-hour trip by the rail. The battalion unloaded and then road marched in the direction of Stalingrad. It halted in the middle of the march, directed back to Millerowo and then continued north to the city of Rossosch in the Italian 8th Army's sector, where things have heated up. The rear area services of the XXIV. Panzer-Korps were still in the city.

On 1 December some of the combat elements rolled through the deep snow into the Italian Tridentina Division's sector. Fortunately for the battalion a shipment of new Sturmgeschütze had arrived in Rossosch during this period.

The rest of the battalion, still attached to the 27. Panzer Division, recieved orders from Heeresgruppe B on 8 December: "Early on 9 December 27. Panzer-Division is to move into the area of Bogutschar-Beliy and Kolodes-Pissarewka-Kusmenkoff. Three Kampfgruppen are to be formed... Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 201 is assigned to Kampfgruppe I, Oberstleutnant Maempel." [...]

Kampfgruppe Maempel received orders to make contact with the 298. Infanterie Division. [...]

On 16 December the Red Army attacked with everything it had. Kampfgruppe Maempel and the attached Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 201 were able to prevent the breakthrough in the Filonowo-Gatjutschje area. The Sturmgeschütze were successful in knocking out 20 enemy targets. Oberstleutnant Rolf Maempel led magnificently and knew that he could rely on the men of Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 201.

When the defense collapsed at Botgutschar, the Sturmgeschütze were the last out of the city on 18 December, and a little later they were sucked into the gigantic confusion of the retreating Italian units. The Russian tanks spearhead pushed into the fleeing mass to the south.

With thousands of Italians, the Sturmgeschütze had reached Arbusow. Already encircled, they continued the attempt to breakout to the southwest on Christmas Eve and made it to the strongpoint at Tschertkowo. [...]

Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 201 wasn't able to pull itself out of the confusion of the defeat until January 1943. Its 3rd Battery had had an especially difficult time. This independent battery, under the command of Oberleutnant Anton Grünert, started off on 18 December as ordered by corps [XXIV. Panzerkorps - Á.R.]. [...] The objective of the eight Sturmgeschütze was the area of the Red Army breakthrough at Botgutschar. [...]

In the days that followed [1 February 1943 - Á.R.] the Sturmgeschütze [3./StuG Abt 201 - Á.R.] rolled on Kharkov. There, once again, they had to mount new short-barreled Sturmgeschütze and stop the pursuing Russians before they were finally relieved and sent with the main body of the battalion to Baruth.
All notes, emphasises and ommitment as noted by brackets are mine.

The text confirms the presence of all but the 3. Batt of the StuG Abt 201 at Tschertkowo. The other way round as I had suspected before!

Thanks to David again,
Best,

Abel