Tschertkowo 1942/43

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi David, Marko, and all!

A few days ago, I've recieved scanned pages from Knobelsdorff's 19. Pz Div unit history, kindly e-mailed to me by David (thanks again!). After reading myself through it, sadly, I have to note, that there is not a single mention about Tschertkowo, the 298. Infanterie Division, let alone the relief operation. So, unfortunately, this track is unusable.

New info about Kantemirowka: on 19/12/42, retreating units of the XXIV. PzK (385. Inf, 387. Inf, 27. Pz, Julia, Monte Cervino, II. Ita AK: Cosseria, Ravenna+23 Marzo, Gren Reg 318) have gone through the city. I have not yet been able to ascertain, which division/unit was the one involved in the defense of the town, but I am still working on the topic.

Best,

Abel
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hi Abel, this all I can contribute at the moment.
Now to Kantemirovka.
Unfortunately I have found just one note regarding the city, saying "19 Dec. Kharitonov's 6. Army captures Kantemirovka. Soviet forces reach Novaja Kalitva." But this equals to nothing considering the strength and composition of the garrison. But some points can be made:

- the city is captured immediately
- the PzJg Abt 654 is almost overrun

This would suggest a minimal strength of the defenders only - maybe the generic "most of PzJg Abt 654 plus stragglers and Alarm units " could be applied here too. Sorry for this stupid answer.

I was wondering about Kantemirovka as I came across a reference in Stoves indicating that another KG of 298.Inf.Div. was fighting there along with personnel from airfield Kantemirowka, roughly 700 men, who continued to struggle till early January.

Here's a few usefull lines from Klatt:

Klatt, p.132
Dem bolschewistischen Vormarsch konnte eine geschlossene Front nicht sofort entgegengestellt werden. Nur die wenigen deutschen Verbände hielten in Stützpunkten ohne Verbindung miteinander, von allen Seiten angegriffen, dem Feinde stand. Es waren die Kampfgruppen Michaelis im Raume Meschkoff, die Kampfgruppe Göller in Tschertkowo und die Luftwaffenbesatzung des Flugplatzes Kantemirowka.

Klatt, 134
Im Norden kämpfte 70 km von Millerowo entfernt, seit dem 18.December Gruppe Michaelis gegen einen von allen Seiten anstürmenden Feind. Täglich wuchs die Zahl der Verwundeten. Die Munition ging zu Ende. Am 23. trat diese Kampfgruppe zum Durchbruch nach Tschertkowo an, wo sich Gruppe Göller behauptete. Würde die Vereinigung gelingen? Am gleichen Tage noch riß die Fernsprechverbindung mit Tschertkowo ab: Oberst Göller was eingeschlossen..

..Ein Funkspruch meldete wenig später, daß Gruppe Michaelis unter mitnahme sämtlicher Verwundeten den durchbruch nach Tschertokowo erzwungen hatte.

Klatt.141
Gruppe Göller war nach Westen durchgebrochen und stand nun mit anderen Verbänden vereint, bei Bjelowodsk. Auch der Flugplatz Kantemirowka war inzwischen geräumt worden.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Thanks for the effort Commisar ;) , it won't be forgotten :D .
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Marko,

a deep bow Your note!!! You are right - I have just found a mention of LuNa Abt 130 being still present at Fl.Pl. Kantemirowka on 30/12/42 (Lw loss records). Most probably the city itself was lost to the Soviet earlier, but resistance continued at the airfield - a new and fascinating issue of the fighting in this area! I'll try my best & get some data on this event.

Best,

Abel
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Just noticed this fascinating thread. I found this on OKH map of Hgr. B, dated 7.01.43. :

Armeeabteilung Fretter Pico
3./Flak 100

Gr. Gen. Lt. Kreising
- Geb.Jg.Rgt. 144 (3. Geb.Div.)
- Pi.Rgt.Stab 680
- Pi.Btl. 207
- Pi.Btl. 551
- Art.Abt. 934 (leFH)
- Art.Abt. 935 (leFH)
- 1 leFH SS-Art.Abt.
- PzJgKp 515
- PzJgKp 516
- Luftwaffeneinheiten
- Marsch- und Urlaubs-Einheiten
- Alarmeinheiten

Gr. Standartenführer Schuldt
a)
- Lw.F.Btl. 100
- 4./Flak 100
- Stabskp. Kpfgr. Schuldt
- 6./Flak 43
- Verspr.Btl. Henschel
- s. SS-Kp. Brig.Schuldt (leiIG & Pak)
- 1 behelfsm. zus.gest.mot.Bttr. sFH
- Kpfrg. Gührer Flak Abt.
b)
- II.(mot)Gr.Rgt. 575 (304. InfDiv)
- Pz.Abt. 138
- II./sArtAbt 735 (Mörs)
- Stab, 3./Flak Abt 100

Gr. Oberst Nagel
- Turk.Batl. 784
- Marsch.Btl. z.b.V. Bitsch
- Fla.Marsch.Btl. 5
- Feldausb.Rgt. 620

Gr. Oberst Baer
- Arko 110
- Alarmeinheiten

8. Ital. Armee

Gr. Oberst Göller
- 2 Batl. G.R. 538 (385. InfDiv)
- ½ I./SS-Pol. 1
- PzKp Kpfgr Fü.Begl.Btl. (5. Kp)
- PzJgKp 517

385. Inf.Div.
(ohne G.R. 538)
- Gr.Rgt. 318 (213. Sich.Div.)
- 1 Batl. 387. Inf.Div.
- Pol.Rgt. 14 (ohne II.)
- Pz.Jg.Kp. 11
- III./Pol 6

27. Pz.Div.
- Kpf.Gr. Füh.Begl.Btl. (ohne Pz.Kp.)
- II./Pol. 14
- 1 Lw.Btl.

298. I.D.
Gr. Oberst Maempel
- St.Gesch.Abt. 201
- Schn.Abt. 127
- Tle.Br. 23. März (ital)
- PzJgKp 13
- Tle. Pasubio
- Br. 3. Januar (ital)
- PzJgAbt 654
- PzJgKp 12
- Tle. Torino (ital)

Gr. SS-Stand.F. Dörffler-Schuband
- Pol.Rgt. 15 (ohne 1 Kp.)
- 1 StuGeschBttr
- 1 sFH Bttr

Source:
Kart RH2 Ost / 1862

Edited for clumsy fingers.
Last edited by Leo Niehorster on Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

:D Wonderful post, Leo. I stumbled upon a similar OoB in one of Tieke's books but wasn't sure if it was credible. So, thank you very much for posting it (with the source) :D .
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Well, it sucks that the 19th Panzer history turned out to be a "dry well". I think we will have to look closely at the 298th Infantry Division.

Abel, my friend, please check your email.

Very Best Regards,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Leo, Marko, David!!!

Today turned out to be a wonderful day - first a SUPERB post by Leo (a huge thanks for posting this data!!! You've helped me a lot with this info!), and then 10 MBs of scanned pages of the 298. Inf Div history from the Comissar - just great! I will dig myself into this data and get back with anything that is to be found important.

Leo, may I have a few questions concerning the data You've just posted?

- Could You tell me where did the 3./Flak 100 belong to? It appears twice (Fretter-Pico direct and Schuldt b.)?

- The term "Tle Pasubio (ital)" at Gr. Maempel also appears twice. Is this just a typo, or does it have a special importance?

Thanks a lot,
Best,

Abel
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Could You tell me where did the 3./Flak 100 belong to? It appears twice (Fretter-Pico direct and Schuldt b.)?
The listing shows it in both locations. The next one, however, no longer shows it under Fretter-Pico, only under Schuldt b) (Stab + 3. Kp/Flak 100)
[For info, the rest of the battalion is under 304. Inf.Div.]
The term "Tle Pasubio (ital)" at Gr. Maempel also appears twice. Is this just a typo, or does it have a special importance?
Oops - The second one should read "Tle. Torino (ital)". Has been corrected above.

That being said, "Tle" - Teile means elements - can also be used when a unit is split up under different commands.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Leo,

thanks for the answer.

Abel
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi all,

while waiting for the translation of the unit histories, I have a little bit to offer to keep this thread running.
On 17 December part of the forces of Ravenna (Capizzi group, made maily by troops of 37 infantry rgt) were separated from the corps, because it had moved towards south-east and joined 298 german inf div at Certkovo.
On 19 december most of Ravenna and the 90 art rgt (Cosseria) flew in disorder from Kantemirovka.
The info is from michele at the Comando Supremo forum.

Marko, now we have the units that have fled from Kantemirkowka, plus some data on the Ravenna grouping at Tschertkowo - good addition to the info we have had.

Best,

Abel
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Could it be that Your "Gruppe Maempel" is a typo for the Gruppe Memper? Oberst Memper replaced Oberst Göller as CO of his Kampfgruppe 25/12/42.

That's the same person, but Maempel is the correct spelling, Oberst Rolf Maempel - Kdr. Pz.Gren.Rgt.140 (DKiG, later KC), his KG was cutt off from the rest of 27.Pz.Div. and together with the remains of 298.Inf.Div. and some italian units it fought its way towards Chertkowo and he became the garisson commander.
Oberst Rolf Maempel received the KC being CO of PzGrenRgt 125 on 5th December 1943.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hallo Michi,

Thanks for the contribution!!

What I wouldn't give to find out which action earned him the KC, cause here's the trick - Pz.Gren.Rgt.125 was formed in summer 1943 and was part of the re-formed 21st Pz.Div., which as far as I know, had to wait one more year to see any combat action and you don't get the KC for accomplishments in improving coastal defenses :wink: . So, is there any chance that he actually received the KC for actions in winter 1942/43?

Abel, how's the translation going on. I'm more or less finished.
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Could it be that Your "Gruppe Maempel" is a typo for the Gruppe Memper? Oberst Memper replaced Oberst Göller as CO of his Kampfgruppe 25/12/42.

That's the same person, but Maempel is the correct spelling, Oberst Rolf Maempel - Kdr. Pz.Gren.Rgt.140 (DKiG, later KC), his KG was cutt off from the rest of 27.Pz.Div. and together with the remains of 298.Inf.Div. and some italian units it fought its way towards Chertkowo and he became the garisson commander.
Oberst Rolf Maempel received the KC being CO of PzGrenRgt 125 on 5th December 1943.
What I wouldn't give to find out which action earned him the KC, cause here's the trick - Pz.Gren.Rgt.125 was formed in summer 1943 and was part of the re-formed 21st Pz.Div., which as far as I know, had to wait one more year to see any combat action and you don't get the KC for accomplishments in improving coastal defenses . So, is there any chance that he actually received the KC for actions in winter 1942/43?
I guess he won the KC with the PzGrenRgt 125; but the GCiG with the PzGrenRgt 140.
Just my suggestion.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

22. Dezember 1942:
Der I./SS-PolInfRgt 1 werden unterstellt:
BeoBttr. 16 ...... Hptm Bätz
MarschVbd 179 .... ???? Gützka
sPzJgKp 518 ....... Olt Wilde
sPzJgKp 611 ....... Olt Pohl
5 Sfl 7,5cm

23. Dezember 1942:
Es scheiden aus:
BeoBttr 16
MarschVbd 179

Es verbeiben bei I./SS-PolInfRgt 1:
von sPzJgKp 518 1 Pak
von sPzJgKp 611 50 Mann
vom ArtRgt 111 10 Mann
von 1./NaAbt 429(?) 3/9/80 Mann
Aufgabe: Verteidigung von Metschesche/Metsheshe.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau