8th Luftwaffe Field Division December 1942

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Marko,

thanks for Your reply - it is just great, as usually! You've helped me a great deal with this one!

Abel
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Here are some better maps of the:

5. LwFDiv & 15. LwFDiv

7. LwFDiv & 8. LwFDiv

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Ron Klages wrote:Upon arrival in the town of MOROZOVSK they detrained and then marched to the town of NIZHNE CHIRSKAYA. As they proceeded across the snow covered steppe towards Stalingrad expecting to come upon retreating German forces but instead they ran headlong into a Soviet pincers and they were scattered in a matter of hours. They then established a collection point at NIZHNE CHIRSKAYA near the confluence of the Don River and the Chir River. The Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung had been leading the march and when only 12 men of the advanced elements of the division returned the commander of the PJA committed suicide.
Does anyone have a date for this event?

Your help would be appreciated,

Abel
genstab
Contributor

7. LW Felddiv

Post by genstab »

Ron, could I ask about one thing- where did you get the name GM August Klessmann as one of the division's commaders? I can't find a record of him as a Heer or Luftwaffe general in Keilig or Bradley (Army) or in Hildebrand's "Generele der Deutschen Luftwaffe". The only other commander than Biedermann I have is Willibald Spang, mFb from 9-1-43 to 14-2-43. Appreciate any info- do we have another general previously unrecorded here (or a posthumous promotion of an Oberst)?
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.
genstab
Contributor

7. and 8. LW Feld Div

Post by genstab »

Never mind, Ron- I see it was Munoz who gave the name Klessmann in a footnote. Problem is I can't find any mention of his existence as a Heer or Luftwaffe general except an AHF member says that his name is also given in "Die Deutsche Divisionen 2" for 7. LW. Dieter Zenke says he will try and find out something for me next week and if he can't nobody can.
Best regards,
Genstab

genstab
Contributor

7. and 8. LW Felddiv

Post by genstab »

According to the website http://www.ww2.dk/ground/infanterie/ljr.htm
August Klessman was an Oberst, not a Genmaj. He commanded LW Jager Regt. 40, still as an Oberst, from 3.43 to 11.43.

On Gen. Willibald Spang, see this thread from the AHF which has photo- copies of his Soldbuch and indicates he was only Kdr of 7. LW Felddiv, never 8. LW Felddiv: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=90568

This little mystery is just about unraveled.
Best regards,
Genstab