Brecourt Manor battery

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Koen wrote:Hi Rich,

I hope i'm not asking too much :)

I guess that where their original positions, but how did they react after the allied landing on 6th June, where did they moved?
The German reaction in the Cotentin by the evening of 6 June was as follows:

Ost-Btl. 797 remained along the west coast between Coutances and Periers engaged in anti-paratroop operations, chasing the scattered US airborne troopers.

Ost-Btl. 635 followed Fs.Jg.-Regt. 6 from the vicinity of Periers and advanced towards Carentan encountering many troopers of the 82nd and 101st and eventually joining III./Gren.-Regt. 1058 and Pz.-Abtl. 100 in attacking the southern face of the US beach and airhead. In the process it appears that most of the Osttruppen melted away, while the Fallschirmjaeger were roughly handled, one battalion being eventually destroyed.

Gren.-Regt. 1057 attacked from west to east with the objectives of Ste. Mere Eglise and Chef du Pont. They had some successes, but eventually were stymied in their attempt to crush the 82nd airhead and so reverted to the defense.

Gren.-Regt. 1058 (-) was reinforced by the Sturm Btl.-7. A.O.K. and attempted to do the same from the north, but was also forced to the defensive.

Finally, a reinforced regiment (actually something of a misnomer, it was comprised of bits and pieces of Gren.-Regt. 920 and 921, along with other elements of the division and attachments) of 243. Inf.-Div. was also ordered to join the attack, but did not arrive until the evening of 7 June when pretty much the entire German force in the Cotentin had gone over to the defensive.
Koen

Post by Koen »

Hi Rich,

Thank you aggain for responding,

I now understand that most of the 1058th where in the north and moving downwards, as objectives st mere eglise etc.

the 1057th grenadier regiment, also moved towards the objectives st mere eglise, pont l' abbe, from the west

Both did not make it to their objectives. Bit where did they go?

The sturmbattalion reinforced the 1058th, so they must have gone north, towards Amfreville, which where they got stuck?

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... Utah-7.jpg

Did they pass the north above Amfreville towards, the 14kp of 1058. Or did they met with the III/1058th? near Carquebut/Le port (south of chef-du pont)

Thank you for your patience,
reguards,

Koen
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Koen wrote:I now understand that most of the 1058th where in the north and moving downwards, as objectives st mere eglise etc.

the 1057th grenadier regiment, also moved towards the objectives st mere eglise, pont l' abbe, from the west
Yep.
Both did not make it to their objectives. Bit where did they go?
Eventually the division concentrated on a line running roughly northwest connecting with 243 709 Inf.-Div. and then to the southeast along the Douvre to the Merderet and connecting loosely with Fs.Jg.-Regt. 6 around Carentan, then 30. Schnell Brig. and 35. Inf.-Div. It then fought a series of actions through the end of June with the US 90th Infantry Division and others, while more German reinforcements came up. It was pretty much used up by late July and was disbanded at the end of the campaign.
The sturmbattalion reinforced the 1058th, so they must have gone north, towards Amfreville, which where they got stuck?
Yes, it does appear that the batallion concentrated to the north and joined the 1058th and 709 Ind.-Div.
Did they pass the north above Amfreville towards, the 14kp of 1058. Or did they met with the III/1058th? near Carquebut/Le port (south of chef-du pont)
It could well be that parts of the batallion remained with III./1058, but that is not clear from the records.
Koen

Post by Koen »

Rich, i'd like to thank you for being patienced to answer all my questions.
It all has become clear for me, but it seems that some things just cannot be solved. Also because of the loss of several documents.

reguards,

Koen
david ss

Post by david ss »

Hi Rich,
Is there any chance you could give me more information about the map you mentioned earlier in this thread?

"7., 8. and 9. Batterie may be determined from a map appended to the "Bericht ueber die Reise des Herrn Oberbefehlshabers in deb Bereich des LXXXXIV A.K. v. 10.-12. Mai 44" showing the Cotentin KVA's as changed by the arrival of 91 Inf.-Div. 7."

I am working on a website about the batlle at Brecourt and would appreciate any help getting a copy of that map.

Website link:

http://ddayatbrecourt.com

Thanks

David
david ss

Post by david ss »

just finished up the Gun Battery section of the website.
Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped.

linked here:
http://ddayatbrecourt.com/GunBattery.htm

David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Congratulations, David! It looks good!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
david ss

Post by david ss »

Thanks Tom.

Also ... Gun Battery section has been updated due to more information becoming available.
http://ddayatbrecourt.com/GunBattery.htm

David
sboyd2kus

Re: Brecourt Manor battery

Post by sboyd2kus »

Soldbuchs can be a good source of information on operational deployments down to the Ko. level.
Here, 1LT Liebler, 3 ko/191 art Regt/91LL Div Soldbuch gives some hints on the units involved:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=742718
I note some minor errors, like the gun type of 3 Bty, but solid primary source details.
this is technically the unit at Holdy, but suggests 6 Ko was also one of the batteries also in the area.