Fuehrer Begleit Battaillon 1942/1943

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

mk2

Fuehrer Begleit Battaillon 1942/1943

Post by mk2 »

Do you have information about organization, strenght and operations carried out by this batalion during winter 1942/1943? I know that it was under XXIV Panzerkorps / 8th (italian) army at the end of December 1942.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Mike H

Fuhrer Belgeit battalion

Post by Mike H »

I think the unit you mean was battle Group Pohlman. It was made up of the following companies taken from the Belgiet Battalion.

1st company ( 3 platoons equiped with armoured half tracks)
4th (heavy) company ( 2-3 anti tank platoons and 2 flak platoons)
5th (panzer) company ( panzer III & IV)

The unit was fully motorised and perfectly suited to moblie anti tank operations. Not sure exact strength.

The men carried paybooks saying they belonged to 51st company Infantry regiment Gross Deutschland in case of capture.

The first units arrived 19th December and were quickly caught up in the retreat. The unit was split in to at first due to different detraining spots( Alexeyeyka & Chertkovo) and fought as seperate units for the first month.

It was later to serve under G.D from Febuary to March. Not sure if it participated in the Kharkov counter attack as its not metioned in my sources after March, however I doubt it wold have been withdrawn on the eve of a major offensive.
mk2

Post by mk2 »

Thanks for the information you provided.
The source for the attachment of this bataillon to XXIV.Panzerkorps I was referring to is the italian 8th army.
Do you know if other Kampfgruppen (2nd-3rd company??) were sent to east front in the same period?
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Not so much...the Fuhrer Begleit Battlion was one of the units assembled to form XXIV PzK in december 1942 with duty to fill the hole opened around half of ARMIR by Operation Little Saturn between 12 and 16 December.
The XXIV PzK fought for entire month in Kalitwa valley.
The definitive soviet attack happened January 14, 1943 just on Fuhrer battalion. The unit was largely cancelled. The remnants followed (I believe) 27th PzDiv retreat and not the Italian Alpine Corps one.

My 2 cents
mk2

Post by mk2 »

OK, the batalion was soon divided in two parts by the soviet offensive.
So: was Kampfgruppe Pohlman the only part of the batalion which was sent to the front or was one of the two parts in which the batalion was divided?
In this case at least an other Kampfgruppe should be present...
Marco Ferliga

Post by Marco Ferliga »

Here's the FBB strenght on January 13th,

10 Officers
55 NCO
347 men
also it has got 124 men of the II/14° Polizei Regiment and 1/2 company of Pz. Spwg.

At 14:00 on the 14th January the FBB ,encircled and half-destroyed, sent the following message to 27th Pz. Div:
'Wissotschanowka von Panzern eingeschlossen. Btl. Gef. Stand Waschiliewsk' (Please translate this INTO english :oops:)

Best,
Marco
mk2

Post by mk2 »

Thanks to all.

Wissotschanowka von Panzern eingeschlossen. Btl. Gef. Stand Waschiliewsk
the translation should be:

"Wissotschanowka surrounded by tanks. Command post of the batalion at Waschiliewsk."
mk2

Post by mk2 »

As regard Kampfgruppe Pohlman, I have found

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 6db3695632