KStN 1168 (1.10.1937)

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Falou
Supporter

KStN 1168 (1.10.1937)

Post by Falou »

Hello all,

I'm searching the complete composition of the KStN 1168 (Leichter Panzerzug) dated from 01/10/1937. Specially for the Platoon trains.

I've read in the Dr Niehorster Book (vol1/I) that there is one 1.5tons truck and a motorcycle in that trains... but what about the soldiers? Which fonction? And by the way, what is the translation of that trains in german language?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Regards,
Ron Klages
In Memorium †

KStN 1168

Post by Ron Klages »

Falou,

I do not have the KStN 1168 dated 1.10.1937 but when I look at the KStN. 1168 c dated 1.2.1941 it is very similar except it has captured French tanks rather than German tanks. here is what I suspect KStN 1168 dated 1.10.1937 would be based on the comparison.

Schützen Zug (gun platoon)
1x Zugführer und Panzerführer mit pistole im gp.Kw. [officier] (platoon commander and panzer commander)
4x Panzerführer mit pistole im gp.Kw. [NCO] (panzer commanders)
3x Funker im SdKfz 265 mit pistole [NCO] (radioman in panzer)
5x Kraftwagenfahrer für gp.Kw. mit pistole [EM] (panzer drivers)
1x SdKfz 265 Befelspanzer I
2x SdKfz 101 Panzer I
2x SdKfz 121 Panzer II

Wechselbesatzung (change crew or reserve personnel)
1xKraftwagenfahrer für gp.Kw. mit pistole [NCO] (panzer driver)
1xKraftradfahrer als Melder im schwere Krad mit Beiwagen mit karbiner [EM] (motorcycle driver and messenger)
1x Funker im gp.Kw. mit pistole [NCO] (radioman in panzer)
2x Kraftwagenfahrer für gp.Kw. mit pistole [EM] (panzer drivers)
3x Kraftwagenfahrer für Lastkraftwagen mit karabiner [EM] (truck drivers)
1x schwere Krad mit Beiwagen (heavy motorcycle with sidecar)
1x leichter gl. Lastkraftwagen, offen, für Mannschaftstransport und Gepäck (1.5 ton leight cross country truck, open, for personnel and luggage transport)

While Dr. Niehorster referred to a train, in fact he was talking about the wechselbesatzung which, as you can see, carried replacement personnel for the panzers and other vehicles as well as the units personal luggage.

At this time the train which carried the units supplies was assigned at a higher organizational level and in this case it was at the battalion or regimental headquarters and above. If this light platoon was assigned to the regimental HQ then the regimental HQ carried its food and war supplies. If the light platoon was attached to the battalion then the battalion HQ train carried the supplies. If you check out the page 30 in Niehorster's Vol. 1/I you can see the other trains.

In German this was known as
Gefechtstroß for combat supply train
Gepäckstroß for luggage train
Verpflegungstroß for food supply train

I hope this answers your question.

best regards

Ron Klages
Ron Klages
Lynnwood, Washington USA
Falou
Supporter

Post by Falou »

Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot for this precious answer. It's really what I was searching for. And your complementary information about the units supplies assigned to regimental or bataillon HQ is excellent.

Excuse my bad english and once again: thanks!
Regards,
Fabrice