Flakschw. Abt. 470

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

zezio73

Flakschw. Abt. 470

Post by zezio73 »

Hi, could anyone give me information about this unit

Flakschw. Abt. 470?

Where this unit was employed during the war? And what was the employment of a Flak unit?

Thanks very much Zezio!!!

"Ubique quo honos et gloria ducunt"
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Flakscheinwerfer-Abt. 470(o)

Formed August 1943 in the Luftgau VI area (Ruhr) by renaming III.(Scheinw.)/Flak-Rgt. 14 with an Abteilungstab and 1. – 2. Battr. The number of batteries fluctuated between 2 and 4 during its existence.
History:
Nov 43 – Dec 44: operational as Flakscheinwerfer Untergruppe Ammer/Starnberg. The Ammersee is a large lake located southwest of Munich and Starnberg is a town located 23 km SSW of Munich. The Abteilung was deployed around Starnberg and came under Flakscheinwerfergruppe München (Flakscheinw.Rgt. 8), which came under 4. Flak-Brigade until May 44, and then under 26. Flak-Div. from Jun 44 to Dec 44.
Jan – May 45: by Mar 45 it had been transferred from Starnberg to northern Italy, probably to beef up the Flak defenses along the approaches to the Brenner Pass.
FpNs: Stab (L 25088)
1. Battr. (not yet determined)
2. Battr. (not yet determined)
3. Battr. (L 26670)
4. Battr. (not yet determined)
Kommandeur:
Maj. Eugen Huber (Aug 43 - ? )

Flak means Flugabwehrkanone (antiaircraft artillery).
Flakscheinwerfer means searchlight.

This was a battalion-size searchlight unit that illuminated RAF Bomber Command aircraft that bombed the Munich area at night.

--Lorenz
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Postscript to the above:

For some strange reason, the Feldgrau software printed a "smiley" where the number 8 should appear. So where you see the "smiley" with the sunglasses, this should read Flakscheinw.Rgt. 8 (as in "eight", in case it does it again).

--Lorenz
k-pp
Contributor

Post by k-pp »

Lorenz, you write 'Feldgrau software' - did you get all this information from a Feldgrau cdrom or something?

Regards,
Karl
SvenW
Contributor

Post by SvenW »

It´s the combination of 8 + ) without a space between. :wink: As in any phpBB-Board.
SvenW
Contributor

Post by SvenW »

SvenW wrote:It´s the combination of 8 + ) without a space between. :wink: As in any phpBB-Board.
[x] Disable Smilies in this post. :D
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

For Karl: if only that were the case! No, the information comes from Georg Tessin, Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS 1939-1945, the Norbert Kannapin Feldpostnummer volumes, and from BA-MA Freiburg - Signatur RL 40/Kart. The latter are the monthly Flakartillerie-Lagekarten for 1943 and 1944.

For Sven: thanks for the tip on the "smilie". I will have to be aware of that and be more careful in the future.

--Lorenz
k-pp
Contributor

Post by k-pp »

Hi Lorenz,

Yup, sorry - I misunderstood your post.

Apropo the Flakartillerie-Lagekarten 1943-44, do they list Flaktransportbatterien (Trabas)?!

In particular, within this time frame, Traba 64/XII (L 22441), and Traba 91/VI (L 35762)?

(Just an off-chance!)

Thanks,
Karl
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Karl -

Yes, you will find a lot of information on the Trabas in the Lagekarten and in the other Flak records at BA-MA.

--Lorenz
k-pp
Contributor

Post by k-pp »

Thanks Lorenz.

I noticed from another thread that that you've visited BA-MA. Can I ask, is it easy to get information from there? I mean, is it possible to turn up at the door and say "I need info on these units!", or do you have to book appointments, know document reference codes, etc. etc.
The idea of it seems daunting - is it?

All the best,
Karl
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Karl -

I can only speak from my own experience. The last time I visited Freiburg-Merzhausen was 14 years ago, so things may have changed since then.

To "dig out" the information on the Trabas, you would have to research your way through most of the surviving folders in the Signaturen that deal with the Flak forces, including the Lagekarten that I mentioned. My very rough guess is that it would take you perhaps 3 to 4 weeks.

The Benutzerhalle Referent will certainly help point you in the right direction, but he (or she) will not do your research for you. In fact, when I was there, the Referent was a Herr Moritz and he was definitely not user-friendly. He was very fond of picking on researchers there who did not have absolutely fluency in German. A most unpleasant fellow, to say the least, and I still have nightmares about him because he would ridicule you in front of all the other researchers. They have Findbücher in the Benutzerhalle to help you identify specific folders to examine. Once you have identified 5 or 6 folders, you fill out a yellow slip and they pull these for you. It usually takes them 1 to 2 hours to bring the folders to you.

Today, 14 years later, they are all computerized, so the process I've described is probably completely different.

--Lorenz
k-pp
Contributor

Post by k-pp »

Thanks very much for your reply and advice - much appreciated.