KGr. Stegmann & KGr. Keitel

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Thomhasj

KGr. Stegmann & KGr. Keitel

Post by Thomhasj »

Who can provide me with any more information on these two kampfgruppen (Stegmann and Keitel). Kampfgruppe Stegmann fought with the Korps Brunau (part of the 6. SS-Panzerarmee) in Austria/Hungary in May 1945. Kampfgruppe Keitel was part of I SS Panzerkorps Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (part of the 6. SS-Panzerarmee) and also fought in Austria/Hungary in May 1945.

What I would like to know about these units is what consisted off and who was their commander?

Thanks in forward.

Thomas
"We are in a hell of a fine place..." (Feldwebel, 712 Infantry Division talking about Holland)
Jan
Associate

Post by Jan »

Hi
Ka.Gru.Keitel war die ehemals Kriegsschule Wiener Neustadt, auch als SS- oder Pol.Ka.Gru. bezeichnet
Ka.Gru.Stegmann: vermutlich handelt es sich hierbei um Teile der 710.Inf.Div. oder 117.Jg.Div.

Jan
Thomhasj

Post by Thomhasj »

Thank you for the information... do you know who were the commanders of the units in question??

Thanks again, Jan.

Thomas
"We are in a hell of a fine place..." (Feldwebel, 712 Infantry Division talking about Holland)
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hi Thomhasj,

The commander of KG Keitel was SS-Stubaf. Karl-Heinz Keitel, son of GFM Wilhelm Keitel and an officer in 22.SS.Kav.Div.

cheers
Jan
Associate

Post by Jan »

Hi
Das ist Falsch.
Dieser Sohn Keitels gehörte zur 37.SS-Kav.Div."Lützow" an.

Unser Keitel hat mit dem nichts zu tun. Nur Namensgleichheit.

Jan
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

No, Jan. This was indeed the same person. Karl-Heinz Keitel was a regimental commander in Maria Theresa before being wounded and flown out of Budapest, after recovering from his wounds he lead the above mentioned KG (from 37.SS-Kav.Div."Lützow") in Austria.
Thomhasj

Post by Thomhasj »

Thanks, Marko. Thanks Jan. I tend to believe Marko on this subject. Hope i'm not upset you in any way by taking sides in this discussion. The reason why i'm siding with Marko is this piece of text on Marcus Wendel's website (axishistory.com):
37. SS-Freiwilligen-Kavallerie-Division Lützow was formed Feb 1945 from remnants of the Florian Geyer & Maria Theresa divisions with additions of Hungarian volksdeutsche near Marchfeld on the Hungarian-Slovakian border.

Mar 1945 a kampfgruppe from Lützow consisting of all battle ready elements of the division, commanded by SS-Oberstrumbannführer Karl-Heinz Keitel (son of Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel) and entitled SS-Kampfgruppe Keitel, was sent to 6. SS-Panzer-Armee. It arrived 4 Apr and was subordinated to I SS Panzerkorps Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler were it saw heavy action during the retreat through Austria where it surrendered at the end of the war.
So... only one kampfgruppe (Stegmann) left... 8)
Jan
Associate

Post by Jan »

Hi
Sag ich doch.
Erst 22.SS dann 37.SS.

Der andere war bei der Schule in Wiener Neustadt.

Jan
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Right, Jan. So these were two different KGs and both fought around Wiener Neustadt. Now that's an amazing coincidance.

Anyway here's the composition of KG Keitel (SS-Stubaf. Keitel):
SS-Freiw.Kav.Rgt.92,
SS-Art.Abt.37,
SS-Pi.Btl.37
and probably also SS-FEB 37.
WorldwarBill

Re: KGr. Stegmann & KGr. Keitel

Post by WorldwarBill »

Was the identity of Kamprgruppe Stegmann ever confirmed? If not, could it possibly be Kampfgruppe Siegmann?