324.Infanterie-Division (Division Hamburg)

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Jan
Associate

324.Infanterie-Division (Division Hamburg)

Post by Jan »

Hi
I look for information about this division. For example arrangement and the whereabouts of the division.

Jan

Division Hamburg

Post by AHK »

Here is what I have:

558,559 Grenadier Regiments
Division-Fusilier Battalion 324
324.Artillerie Regiment

GL Walter Steinmueller Mar-4-1945 to April, 1945

Division was formed on Mar-8-1945 from remanents of 180 and 190.IDs. The division operated near Essen and the Lower Rhine at a very understrength statis in late March. Divisional staff was absorbed into 618.Division zbv. near Essen where it had been destroyed.

1945 March 63.AK,1.FallschirmArmee, HG "H" Lower Rhine
(Staff)April HG"B", ArmeeAbteilung von Luttwitz
April 39.Panzerkorps,12.Armee
genstab
Contributor

Div Hamburg

Post by genstab »

Hi, AHK-
Could you let me know your source on 324.ID. Hamburg's being partially formed from 190. ID? I looked it up in Tessin and he says it was formed from 180 and 197. Div (though Tessin's 187. Reserve Div history states it became 187. Jaegerdiv and then in Dec. 1943 redesignated 42. Jaegerdiv); he says that 190. ID was reformed into ID Ulrich von Hutten in April 1945.
Thanks much for any help you can give on this.

Best regards,
Genstab
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.
AHK
Contributor

Division Hamburg

Post by AHK »

I think the 190.Division forming part of Division Hamburg is a typo, it was 180.ID. I have been working on divisional OBs since 1976, unfornuately I never kept track of all sources. Of course Tessin and most major OB sources are countered. Microfilm records, magazine articles, 100s of books, and annuals I have not recorded. Presently, I have 5 thick volumes of typed divisional histories and OBs. Of course, research is on going adventure for me. Once, you get to lesser known divisions, I have discovered that typos very much exist!
Thanks,
AHK
genstab
Contributor

typos

Post by genstab »

That's for sure- especially in Tessin (but I think it was the printers, not him) and even in the OKH Gen. St. Op. Abt. III and KTB-OKW schematics. I have ten-page lists of those I found in all three with their corrections as researched. Keeps you on your toes.
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.