Odd Unit Symbol

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Rich
Associate

Odd Unit Symbol

Post by Rich »

Okay, since nobody seems to be interested in Heeres-Flak here is another conundrum. :D

In a Gliedrung of 1 March 1943 and in an accompanying report regarding the defenses of Brest, the following unit is given:

Heeres-Artillerie Abteilung 1162 with 1. and 2. Bttr. and a le.H.T.Zg. 1012 with two 10.5cm somethings?

Now whatever the 10.5cm weapon is it had a range of 6 kilometers, but the symbol used for it is an empty rectangle with a diagonal line extending up from the top left corner. It almost appears to be the symbol for a Granatewerfer stuck on top of the box? Any ideas? Or what a light H.T. platoon might be? :D
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Rich,
First of all, I am fascinated by H-Flak-Abt. - Just didn't know the answers to your questions. You don't seriously expect members to indicate their not knowing the answer to your questions?

Secondly, we have something of a problem with this question. Tessin states that Heeres-Artillerie Abteilung 1162 was not raised until December 1943. However, he does confirm Brest (7th Army) as the location:
Raised December 1943 by Ob. West using Stellungs-Batterie (K) 165 as the cadre with 4 batteries of heavy field howitzers (static). In August the battalion is destroyed in Britanny and susequently dissolved on 28.10.44.

Thirdly, the abbreviation a le.H.T.Zg. 1012 with two 10.5cm somethings? and the symbol are easy:
leichter Horchtrompetenzug = a light listening horn platoon

April fool!! :wink:

Seriously, the symbol and the abbreviation you describe both mean the same thing, namely "Stand für leichte Haubitze im Turm", the Zug giving the size of the unit in the position. In other words, a position for a platoon with two light 105mm howitzers in turrets.

Cheers
Leo
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Leo Niehorster wrote:Rich,
First of all, I am fascinated by H-Flak-Abt. - Just didn't know the answers to your questions. You don't seriously expect members to indicate their not knowing the answer to your questions?
No, I'm just used to instant gratification from the knowledgable types that post here. :D
Secondly, we have something of a problem with this question. Tessin states that Heeres-Artillerie Abteilung 1162 was not raised until December 1943. However, he does confirm Brest (7th Army) as the location:
Raised December 1943 by Ob. West using Stellungs-Batterie (K) 165 as the cadre with 4 batteries of heavy field howitzers (static). In August the battalion is destroyed in Britanny and susequently dissolved on 28.10.44.
Thanks, that does fit with them appearing in a March 1944 discussion of the Brest fortifications. Of course since the report only gave information on two of the batteries I suppose the question remains as to what happened to the other two? :D
Thirdly, the abbreviation a le.H.T.Zg. 1012 with two 10.5cm somethings? and the symbol are easy:
leichter Horchtrompetenzug = a light listening horn platoon
It sounds like a possibility (sorry I can never resist a pun).
April fool!! :wink:

Seriously, the symbol and the abbreviation you describe both mean the same thing, namely "Stand für leichte Haubitze im Turm", the Zug giving the size of the unit in the position. In other words, a position for a platoon with two light 105mm howitzers in turrets.

Cheers
Leo
Hah! Hah! 8) Interesting, do you have any idea what they might be? Possibly something from the original French fortifications at the naval base? I don't think I've ever seen photos of anything other than the standard Panzerturm or larger coastal artillery emplaced in naval-type gun houses? Oh well, as usual it seems there is always something new under the sun when it comes to the Wehrmacht.

So here is another question. Any idea where:

H.K.B.1271
H.K.B.1272
H.K.B.1273

were posted? They were all 7.Armee I know, and I already know that Heeres-Kuesten-Artillerie Batterie 1274 was at Brest, but I haven't been able yet to locate these.

Rich
David L

Re: Odd Unit Symbol

Post by David L »

Rich,

I've just been researching HKB 1271. Go to:
http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikw ... _battr.php
and
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=178494

for information on this batterie.
Good Luck!

David L