NARA access from Germany

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
The Law

NARA access from Germany

Post by The Law »

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of family-related WWII research recently and one of my current most important questions always leads me to this great forum. Maybe someone knows what the story is, I'd be grateful for any information:

I'm about to lose my mind trying to find a specific set of war diaries (KTB der Küstenfliegergruppe (K.Fl.Gr.) 406, later 506), which - from what I can tell - are available in the National Archives. Everyone seems to be able to access archives.gov, but it won't work for me. Is that a new thing? Is access not permitted from Germany as a general rule, or does anyone know what I can do to get access to the archives?

Thanks!
Andrea
John W. Howard

Re: NARA access from Germany

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Andrea:
I have always had problems finding things on the NARA website, even when I know exactly what I want!! My suggestion to you is to write to them, or perhaps a phone call. Let me see if I have any luck finding what you are after; perhaps I can send you a link. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Andrea, here is a link to the captured German documents at NARA; there are Luftwaffe records available on the page, but I am not sure they contain what you are looking for: https://www.archives.gov/research/captu ... html#other
Here is a more general link: https://www.archives.gov/research

Let me know if these links work for you!! Best wishes.
John W. Howard
The Law

Post by The Law »

Thanks so much for your help, John! I've made a tiny bit of progress by now and I'm finally starting to get the hang of where to find what, and how to look for specific files. I was also able to access the archives.gov website from a different PC, it was my laptop's fault - your links work as well, so that's one big issue solved :). Thanks again for your replies!

Cheers,
Andrea
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Excellent!! Glad to be of service!! Best wishes.
John W. Howard