"Let me entertain you....."

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: "Let me entertain you....."

Post by phylo_roadking »

Move the word :up: Any of you that deal one-on-one with sellers, or have named contacts - use the Helion precedent :up: The first step, the first brick in the wall is the hardest...but NOW we have a precedent, and a respected one. Let's use it where we can.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

Helion removed Directive 19, but I can still find Honor Denied on their website. Someone should let them know its the same author.
Klaus Richter
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

Bravo. Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!! And what the Hell, "Bravo!!!" again.

Marcus Wendel removed the review of "D19" from his Axis History Factbook site a couple months ago.

Best,
~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I'm sure "Honor Denied" will be dealt with in time. "Directive 19" is the more insidious and tacky one, after all - selling on the back of people's interest in the Holocaust, and full of revisionism and apologia. It's the more "morally questionable" of the two.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

"Honor Denied" -- has anyone else thought that would be a great title for "The Great Compiler's" autobiography? With the subtitle- "... and rightfully so!", of course.

~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Michael Miller / ABR wrote:Marcus Wendel removed the review of "D19" from his Axis History Factbook site a couple months ago.
Mike, you might be pleased to know that when I had to defend that review in the Amazon circus, I modified my stance, and explained why such a lousy book ended up with such a good "star" rating.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

I am aware of that, Tom, and I salute the change of stance re: "D19". My comment referred only to the fact that by losing his place at AHF, he'd lost further credibility (well- can't lose what you never had, but you get my point) and another advertising venue. The "author" in question had been harping on the incongruity of AHF members criticizing the book while your well-intentioned review remained at AHF, so I suggested its removal.

Best wishes,
~ Mike

Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

Michael Miller / ABR wrote:"Honor Denied" -- has anyone else thought that would be a great title for "The Great Compiler's" autobiography? ....
Sure, it is a title with a lot of irony to it. I gotta give Harker credit for coming up with a great title period. As a phrase, it's not 100% original but it looks like it might be a first-time use for a book title - and it is catchy.

Compare "Honor Denied" to "Bounden Duty"...I mean the moron that came up with "Bounden Duty" should be submerged in a barrel of his own waste products for a week. What a hideous thing to do to a very important book by Stahlberg! I don't agree (or trust) 100% with what Stahlberg writes but he does have an interesting perspective. "Die verdammte Pflicht" is a good title in German and could have been given such a better translation - like maybe "The Curse of Duty" or "Sworn to the Devil". I am sure that "Bounden Duty" badly hurt the sales of the book.
*Note to the publisher - stick to using words in your titles that have been used within the last 200 years.

Anyhoo, back to Harker. I skimmed through his latest blog entries and this so-called Australian who is baiting him. I am left wondering, who is the greater meathead - Harker who doesn't know when to throw in the towel or the mystery blogger who is basically waxing his carrot with Harker's hand?

They are both losers in my book.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Well...unfortunately it's the "so-called Australian meathead" who got done what WE couldn't - and get the book withdrawn from Helion...! :(

I've been laughing my leg off too. All I can see worth saying in answer to ANY of Harker's blog is *I* haven't been phoning any of his friends and neighbours either! :D :D :D From everything that's been said...I'd have too much trouble FINDING any! :shock:

What I DO know however from Troy is that his friend has found out a LOT more than we ever did! :? (professional jealousy shining through...)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It COULD just be me....but Helion seem to have dealt with "Honor Denied" too!
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

phylo_roadking wrote:Well...unfortunately it's the "so-called Australian meathead" who got done what WE couldn't - and get the book withdrawn from Helion...!
Yes, there is something to be said for that. It is nice to see some standards being enforced. I still give credit to you too, Phylum, for cracking the nut open. It was nice to see the mystery solved without any doubts as to the true nature of D19 and HD.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

You're right, Helion removed Honor Denied as well from their website. I emailed them yesterday letting them know that it was by the same author as Directive 19. That's great they removed both books. :up:
Klaus Richter
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

John - no answer from Outskirts yet?

Might be worth a follow-up email letting them know about Helion....!
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

No answer from Outskirts and I don't see any point in contacting them further. They don't seem to care. They have not responded to e-mail from you and I nor do they appear to monitor their presence on the Internet. Their books don't appear to sell well, based on the Amazon rankings for their other published titles that I checked.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Guys,

Outskirts is a vanity publishing and pay-to-publish outfit. They would probably publish Grooming Tips For Adults Who Love Kids as long as they thought they could bank the author's money and the text was written in such a way as to avoid prosecution on technicalities. The vast bulk of their business probably comes from minor academics trying to justify their doctoral courses and study sinecures, with a minor part coming from the various weirdos lurking in the shadows of our wonderful community. "Paul Harker" is a particularly high profile example, exposed very adroitly by Phylo, but there is a host of publishers ready to give voice to all of the scum floating about around us, from dodgy dealers pushing fake goods to people on agendas pushing everything from revisionism to denial.

Welcome to publishing! It's full of scumbags.

PK