Axis history forum down???

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
JoseFrancis

Post by JoseFrancis »

I surely hope AHF will come back soon...
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

It seems that both Feldgrau and AHF have been down a lot recently. Very annoying, no place to hang out.... :(

By the way, I agree with Christoph. You never see a Ron Klages or a Leo Neihorster making a post that would provoke the need to moderate. In fact, it is very hard to "moderate" a factual discussion unless tempers flare--there simply isn't a need.
Now AHF has members from around the globe, speaking many languages and representing every political spectrum. Without Moderators, it would be chaos and my humble opinion is that usually those who complain about "over-moderation" (and I'm not saying this applies to Vagabond!) are those with political agendas to push.

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Perhaps I should elaborate. I've never had a post edited or zapped by a moderator on the AHF and my post count is far past 1500. I have no political agenda to push - indeed, I suspect that those who do have left the AHF long ago. I have no problem with offensive and/or idiotic posts being deleted on sight by AHF moderators.

However, I've seen posts that really weren't very offensive removed by moderators, sometimes with the remark that they added nothing to the discussion - posts by people I otherwise consider good, constructive members of the AHF. That's obviously not my problem, but I do hope that the AHF leadership will not scare away any of its good members. All the loons and trolls are long gone anyway.

My gripe is more about regulation than moderation. Thread-split offs can be really confusing. If somebody tries a new approach in an ongoing discussion, the thread might well be split out to another sub-forum, meaning that you have to go back and forth all the time if you want the whole picture. The ever-expanding number of sub-fora means that it can be difficult to tell just where a new thread should go to.

For example, the 'Economy' sub-section is a really good little corner of the AHF with several really good threads. I can see absolutely no good reason why the AHF needs both an 'Axis Economy' and an 'Allied Economy' sub-section. Most economic analysis and much economic history debate is made on a comparative basis. It's as if the AHF leadership hopes to multiply a good sub-section by creating yet more sub-sections while in reality, they are actually cutting it in half. Also, the large number of sub-sections might scare potential new AHF members.

So let me qualify my original statement. I think the problem is one of over-regulation, not over-moderation.
Musashi
Supporter

Post by Musashi »

Vagabond wrote: Does this make sense to anyone here? Musashi?
Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/db/mysql4.php on line 51

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/db/mysql4.php on line 401

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/db/mysql4.php on line 402
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
The MySQL database has to be repaired or retrieved.
Ezekiel 25:17. "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

However, I've seen posts that really weren't very offensive removed by moderators, sometimes with the remark that they added nothing to the discussion - posts by people I otherwise consider good, constructive members of the AHF. That's obviously not my problem, but I do hope that the AHF leadership will not scare away any of its good members. All the loons and trolls are long gone anyway.

My gripe is more about regulation than moderation. Thread-split offs can be really confusing. If somebody tries a new approach in an ongoing discussion, the thread might well be split out to another sub-forum, meaning that you have to go back and forth all the time if you want the whole picture. The ever-expanding number of sub-fora means that it can be difficult to tell just where a new thread should go to.

For example, the 'Economy' sub-section is a really good little corner of the AHF with several really good threads. I can see absolutely no good reason why the AHF needs both an 'Axis Economy' and an 'Allied Economy' sub-section. Most economic analysis and much economic history debate is made on a comparative basis. It's as if the AHF leadership hopes to multiply a good sub-section by creating yet more sub-sections while in reality, they are actually cutting it in half. Also, the large number of sub-sections might scare potential new AHF members.
Hi Vagabond, these are all valid concerns. As to the first issue, I can't really say anything except that moderators do make mistakes on occasion and each one has a different style or take on discussions.

The other two points have really attracted my attention in the past. AHF really covers a lot of ground with its numerous subforums. While this is probably a good thing--making the site more comprehensive--it also risks a lot of really good posts being "lost". What I'm trying to say is that compartmentalisation works if one has the inclination to check all the compartments.

I don't, many times, have that sort of dedication. I've found that, due to the format, there are many sections I just normally don't view and two months down the road, when I finally do view some subsections, I'm amazed at the Threads I've missed! I think that while the goal is to establish sub-forums that will appeal to many different interests, the practical effect is that the average Joe like me, tends to concentrate his time and effort on only a few sections at any given time.

In the old days, when forums were simply lists of questions and answers, with every topic clearly showing on a page, this was not a problem. But, I agree that this is a major downside to the growing elaborateness of forums and the switch over to the format that both Feldgrau and AHF have adopted.

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:What I'm trying to say is that compartmentalisation works if one has the inclination to check all the compartments.
I've found that the best way around that is to use the "Check Posts Since Last Visit" option. That way, I can see everything that's new, and choose which ones I want to view.

Granted, I usually read the same sections, but every so often, something in a different section will catch my eye, and I'll pick up something interesting about another area.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

I can't get on AHF again.
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Its working again ... for now.
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Is the AHF down again or am I the only one having problems?

I get 'document contains no data' and 'connection timed out' responses alternately.
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

I get "website not responding".
Bryson C

Post by Bryson C »

Not working for me two. :(
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Oh dear, not again!

PK
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

E' UN COMPLOT!!! (as said by a well-known mexican politic) :shock:
(it's a conspiracy)
Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel »

:(
"SPQV"
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

Both AHF and the Swedish skalman.nu fora are down (both probably situated on the same server), and webmaster Marcus Wendel is currently away on holiday. I cannot remember when he is expected to be back, but I guess he will be home either on Sunday or Monday.